Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 10:29 AM

Talking Cormorant Hunting in Ontario...

So I'm not sure if I'm the only one excited about this, but a couple of years ago Ontario opened up a Cormorant hunting season to deal with overabundant fish eaters in several areas.

I have always wanted to hunt for one, and actually had it on my bucket list for way into the future to hit somewhere crazy like Greenland or Iceland (going from memory) where I could legally hunt a few.

I have a feeling heading to Ontario might be just a little bit cheaper!

I have tried reaching out to a couple of outfitters down there to set me up on a marsh, and haven't heard anything back. I also tried registering for an Ontario hunting forum a couple of days ago and still haven't been authorized to make any posts. So that's all been a bit frustrating.

So I just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone on AO happens to know of some waterfowl hunting fanatics down in Ontario that might be interested in connecting to chase some big black funky looking birds???

I'm totally happy to pay for an outfitter but also open to making some friends down there that are interested in hunting with waterfowl enthusiasts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm honestly REALLY excited about lining up this hunt!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:37 AM

Do they have a season for them, or can you shoot them any time?
And do you need a bird license?
Old 06-24-2022, 02:28 PM

Id heard about them being hunted in ontario now.. Id also love to go out there and get a nice one to mount.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post

I'm not sure about this part yet. But from the videos I've seen (which are few and far between) it looks like you can shoot 15 per day. Looks like a lot of fun for sure.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanpktaxiderm View Post
Id heard about them being hunted in ontario now.. Id also love to go out there and get a nice one to mount.

It would be fun to put a group together from Alberta.

Start phoning outfitters telling them we have 4 guys only interested in shooting Cormorants and Wood Ducks!

Interested to see what they say (when one will finally talk to me... Very strange they're not returning calls - but maybe they don't know how to handle this yet?)
Old 06-24-2022, 03:23 PM

Default Cormorant hunting

I wish we could shoot every one of those flying rats here in Alberta.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseSlammer View Post
It would be fun to put a group together from Alberta.

Start phoning outfitters telling them we have 4 guys only interested in shooting Cormorants and Wood Ducks!

Interested to see what they say (when one will finally talk to me... Very strange they're not returning calls - but maybe they don't know how to handle this yet?)
If you hear back let me know! Id go as a group haha
Old 06-24-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanpktaxiderm View Post
If you hear back let me know! Id go as a group haha
I'll email a few outfitters and see if anyone gets back to me. I'll keep you posted.

I think it will just be a matter of finding the right outfitter who has lots around and wouldn't need to try to hard (or re-invent the wheel) in order to get onto a few.

I was thinking of driving to Manitoba for Woodies this fall, and there are areas only a couple hours further that are on the Ontario side of the border. But I'm thinking it would probably be easier and cheaper now to just fly into Toronto (or somewhere nearby) and rent a vehicle from there. In and out in a few days with some local knowledge - rather than trying to figure it out from scratch.

We'll see what happens - but definitely stay tuned!
Old 06-25-2022, 02:18 PM

Shot a few in the UK when they were classed as vermin.They get wary when hunted.Stink s..t hawks is what they are.Endless problems with them on fisheries and fish farms.

If it were legal I would shoot all I could.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:18 PM

Default In the Great Lakes

When my Grandfather sailed they would stop on the rocky island they nested on in colonies.Initially they would break the eggs. This was pointless as they just laid more so they would take the eggs off the nest and boil them for a few minutes then put them back on the nests. The adults would waste the summer sitting on dead eggs. He spoke of ankle deep empty shotgun shells but it had little impact. I've seen literally 1000's on a lake cleaning out all the fish they could swallow. If you look at old Chinese tapestries you will see them tethered to boats with a brass ring around their necks so they could not swallow whole fish and used to catch fish. A gill net on the surface where they are feeding would work best.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:39 PM

Default Sky Rats

Quote:
So I'm not sure if I'm the only one excited about this, but a couple of years ago Ontario opened up a Cormorant hunting season to deal with overabundant fish eaters in several areas.

I have always wanted to hunt for one, and actually had it on my bucket list for way into the future to hit somewhere crazy like Greenland or Iceland (going from memory) where I could legally hunt a few.

I have a feeling heading to Ontario might be just a little bit cheaper!

I have tried reaching out to a couple of outfitters down there to set me up on a marsh, and haven't heard anything back. I also tried registering for an Ontario hunting forum a couple of days ago and still haven't been authorized to make any posts. So that's all been a bit frustrating.

So I just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone on AO happens to know of some waterfowl hunting fanatics down in Ontario that might be interested in connecting to chase some big black funky looking birds???

I'm totally happy to pay for an outfitter but also open to making some friends down there that are interested in hunting with waterfowl enthusiasts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm honestly REALLY excited about lining up this hunt!

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure about this part yet. But from the videos I've seen (which are few and far between) it looks like you can shoot 15 per day. Looks like a lot of fun for sure.
lnk: https://www.ofah.org/issues/cormorants/

I like they are being killed because they are destructive to habitat and fish populations. Calling it a hunt is more about optics than the truth. What is the problem with calling it a cull......because that is what it really is. The ON government is too chicken to call it a cull and therefore call it a hunt. You need a small game license.......but you do not have to eat your birds. Is that a hunt?

No disrespect to the OP's plans but I for sure wouldn't spend a few grand travelling to ON to shoot birds that aren't suitable for table fare.

Choot 'em on sight
Old 06-27-2022, 11:10 AM

We have a cottage in Ontario.
it shouldn't be a season. it should be a bounty.
They are disgusting, destructive birds that can defoliate a entire islands trees over a summer.
Kill every one of them.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:43 AM

meh, I would go just to get one mounted and hang it in the man cave.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
We have a cottage in Ontario.
it shouldn't be a season. it should be a bounty.
They are disgusting, destructive birds that can defoliate a entire islands trees over a summer.
Kill every one of them.
There is a small island on lac la nonne that has a colony of them nested there and it looks like they are well on their way to killing all the trees there .
Old 06-27-2022, 03:03 PM

When I hunted on the Bay of Quinte shoreline, they would fly past the decoy spread to check things out.

You could probably line up a legit waterfowl hunt and skybust a few while you are waiting for the ducks to come in.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
There is a small island on lac la nonne that has a colony of them nested there and it looks like they are well on their way to killing all the trees there .
Keeley lake sask has the same problem
Old 06-27-2022, 03:13 PM

Why don't you guys contact Fish and Wildlife and talk to them about it????

I know of someone who is a F & G member at Onoway who obtained a nuisance Wildlife Permit for a local trout Lake. He was shooting Cormorants on this lake near Onoway in the summer under the permit.

This was to save the trout that were stocked in this lake.

Just saying you don't need to go to Ontario if you are interested.

A few of the local trout would appreciate your efforts.

Drewski
Old 06-27-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

I know of someone who is a F & G member at Onoway who obtained a nuisance Wildlife Permit for a local trout Lake. He was shooting Cormorants on this lake near Onoway in the summer under the permit.

Drewski
Might be worth a call to fish and wildlife then.. any Idea how long ago that was?
Old 06-27-2022, 03:44 PM

Southern Alberta is full of the rats. Them and pelicans. I hate to guess how many trout they get. When I was young they were just not around. Still remember seeing my first pelican when I was about 21. We were on a three day float of the SSR, and one came gliding down the river. All of us were suitably shocked at the size of the thing and puzzle how a coastal bird ended up on the SSR. I was convinced it was tame because it was white. Lord I miss being young.........

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-27-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
lnk: https://www.ofah.org/issues/cormorants/

I like they are being killed because they are destructive to habitat and fish populations. Calling it a hunt is more about optics than the truth. What is the problem with calling it a cull......because that is what it really is. The ON government is too chicken to call it a cull and therefore call it a hunt. You need a small game license.......but you do not have to eat your birds. Is that a hunt?

No disrespect to the OP's plans but I for sure wouldn't spend a few grand travelling to ON to shoot birds that aren't suitable for table fare.

Choot 'em on sight
This is a Hunt and a Cull.

The cull is the purposeful population reduction.

Hunting is the means to achieve this goal.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-27-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Southern Alberta is full of the rats. Them and pelicans. I hate to guess how many trout they get. When I was young they were just not around. Still remember seeing my first pelican when I was about 21. We were on a three day float of the SSR, and one came gliding down the river. All of us were suitably shocked at the size of the thing and puzzle how a coastal bird ended up on the SSR. I was convinced it was tame because it was white. Lord I miss being young.........
Every time I see a group of pelicans (they are always in groups) on these small Alberta lakes I cringe. Those things eat a lot of protein and that means ducklings Goslings as well as any fish they can get their enormous beaks on.

We have a group of about 10 of them now on Lessard lake which is not overly blessed with fish to begin with. And I have notices far fewer geese and ducks around since those freakin pterodactyls showed up.

You haven’t lived until a Pelican drops a load on your shoulder from 60 ft above .
Old 06-27-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
The last time Onoway fish and game went to get this permit they were told that since they are a federal migratory bird Alberta fish and wildlife cannot issue a permit
Old 06-27-2022, 09:35 PM

You have to talk to the regional Biologist,if they agree you have a problem they will approve a license.You then go online and get a temporary and wait till the official one arrives in the mail.You have to have ALL shooters named that will be participating in the harvest. If your name is not on the license as a shooter you do not particapate.All kills have to be recorded and submitted to the bio's by the end of the year.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:20 PM

Default Interesting feedback...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Since I originally made this post I actually found a really awesome group of Southern Ontario waterfowlers. Put a post on there, and believe it or not - there's actually an Ontario Cormorant hunters Facebook group! Hahaha.

I've connected with a couple of good contacts there already, and will connect with a few more who reached out when I get a bit more time. But I was chatting with one nice guy the other day who said the lake he hunts on is just polluted with them, so we'll see what happens.

I'm wanting to mount one as well, so wondering if the feathers will be decent late September or early October when I will likely head down there. But I suspect it will be alright.

If it ends up being epic I may just post a pic or two. If not, well - you know how it went!