Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-27-2022, 07:35 AM
Banned

Default Bipods

what bipod do you run? How do you like it?
Old 06-27-2022, 07:45 AM

Atlas is my primary one I use, have a pic rail on all my rifles. For my comp rifles I have a ckye pod and it's unbelievable, almost tempted to buy another one.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:45 AM
Banned

harris for me......no questions asked, lifetime warranty. i use mine in the winter for 'yote hunting and haven't been easy on them, but when they break, i send them in. couple of weeks later they are back and fixed.....i like that kind of warranty.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:51 AM

I like Atlas. However, really depends on your budget and needs. Do you have $80 or $800 to spend on a bipod, hunting or bench rest, etc.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:19 AM

Tried a few Bipods a lot of years ago. Do not like how unbalanced the gun is with them in place. Also, most are not adequate for sitting, standing or even in most cases kneeling. Really limits where you can use them. Suggest you borrow one or buy a cheapie and try it first. I may even have an old one floating around here if you are in the Edmonton area.

Have been using shooting sticks for many years instead. Can shoot gophers to 300 yards off them standing. If I am hunting where a Bi-pod would have worked, a pack under the rifle does the same job even better.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:37 PM

I personally like home made shooting sticks when hunting varmints , and a walking staff when hunting big game .
I have tried bipods before and do not like them .
My son uses a Remple bipod on his F/TR rifle
Cat
Old 06-27-2022, 01:14 PM

Never had the use for any bipod other than for shooting off a bench. They aren't able to get the barrel up high enough off the ground for my hunting style (long grasses and foliage obstruction). A shooting stick (one-two-three legged) outperforms a bipod in hunting situations. I use a Bogpod on three legs and it doubles as a walking stick.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:43 PM

I also switched from a bipod to a triggersticks tripod, it allows me to shoot standing up, which can be a huge advantage.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:11 PM

Harris has a large selection depending on your shooting style . Which ever one you look at I recommend the swiveling option . Most of use old guys that are no longer limber enough to lay down to shoot have switched to shooting sticks of some style .
Old 06-27-2022, 02:58 PM

Depending on your application, Atlas / Harris / MDT / even Magpul makes a decent bipod.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:17 PM

I am not a bipod fan. I find them heavy and make your rifle unbalanced and awkward to carry. Moving targets are hard to follow and they are not tall enough to shoot over tall grass or obstacles. They work better on a bench or table but for that I prefer a rest and bags. Just my opinion, lots of people like them. Try one first before investing. Shooting sticks for me in the field.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 06-27-2022, 03:21 PM

I use Harris and/or a Bog Pod with the accessory rifle rest attatched. Great for standing or sitting shots but a bit awkward for carrying any distance.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:41 PM

Default Bipods

Funny timing for this thread to appear as I was just researching bipods last night. I guess I better see if I can try one out at the range before committing? It looks as though the Harris brand attaches quick and easy so I could use it in open country and then remove it and carry a set of sticks in the long grass?
Old 06-27-2022, 04:07 PM
Banned

Mount a arca rail on your stock and Get a tripod
Gunwerks revic tripods are a really good value
I have the backpacker and it’s nice and light
My other one is a really tight stuff
Old 06-27-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean2 View Post
tried a few bipods a lot of years ago. Do not like how unbalanced the gun is with them in place. Also, most are not adequate for sitting, standing or even in most cases kneeling. Really limits where you can use them. Suggest you borrow one or buy a cheapie and try it first. I may even have an old one floating around here if you are in the edmonton area.

Have been using shooting sticks for many years instead. Can shoot gophers to 300 yards off them standing. If i am hunting where a bi-pod would have worked, a pack under the rifle does the same job even better.
100%
Old 06-27-2022, 06:34 PM

On my heavy precision rigs, I run LRA’s. Both the light tactical and the F-class. They are big and bulky. I also have an Atlas, which I’m not too fond of. I also have a couple of Harris’s (not the knock-offs).

I suppose the OP should tell us what rifle he’s using it for and in what situations.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:18 PM

I’ve got an atlas and a mpod that I never use. I have a short Harris bench bipod that is only good for the bench or prone. I’ve got a couple of the Harris tall bipods that I can use from a sitting or kneeling position. If you take them hunting they make the rifle terrible to pack. So I generally just use a bog pod or trigger sticks. My wife uses one of the tall Harris bipeds but by the time she gets the legs levelled so her cross hairs are precise the animal has either ran away or died of old age.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:15 PM

Never tried one but the reason is that my goal is hunting and the ground is never consistent. One side or the other would always react differently. I can see them working at the range or somewhere really flat but that isn't where I end up shooting.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Never tried one but the reason is that my goal is hunting and the ground is never consistent. One side or the other would always react differently. I can see them working at the range or somewhere really flat but that isn't where I end up shooting.
Harris bipod have adjustable legs And can be adjusted individually The swivel feature on the Harris bipod allows you to level your gun
Old 06-28-2022, 01:15 PM

Bipods have thier place. I run harris, have a few in different sizes. My long range rigs i use them for prone but i have never hunted big game using one. A pack works just as well in the field if prone is possible. For coyote hunting i use tripod or sticks. Big game i generally use natural rests or just off hand but i hunt bush mostly. For field hunting i would use sticks or tripod...
Old 06-28-2022, 03:39 PM

I think you can see from all the different responses you really need to pick what’s best for you, it’s more of personal preference and style thing than a best brand thing. One thing I know for sure is dont buy an Chinese knockoff “poor man’s atlas” and try to modify them they are terrible even with the mods. Most of the time I just use my backpack.

Last edited by Dubious; 06-28-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:18 AM

I’ve used the same 13-27” Harris for everything for over 20 years. It’s on the rifle for load development, target practice, gophers, coyotes, big game… everything except grouse with the .22. It’s short enough to shoot prone and tall enough to get over grass, snow and debris. I don’t have a picture of me hunting or shooting without it on my rifle. It’s literally the crutch I wouldn’t be without.
I tried shorter bipods and they don’t work the same. We are all different but I’ll carry the weight penalty and deal with the change of balance so I can have a rock solid rest at a moments notice when a shot opportunity arises. I’ve had many shots that were to far to shoot offhand or there were no natural rests and my Harris has never let me down.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:53 PM

I am not a fan of packing any more than I have to, to go hunting, been there, done that, I travel pretty light now, usually hunt places where supports aren't necessary. Never packed around big scopes or a bipod on the gun for big game hunting. Much prefer a tripod for a support if necessary, such as on the range or a gopher field, I have the fanny pack or daypack with me when big game hunting, they work.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:15 PM

Default Bipods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ve used the same 13-27” Harris for everything for over 20 years. It’s on the rifle for load development, target practice, gophers, coyotes, big game… everything except grouse with the .22.

That’s the same one I use. Very practical for my purposes! Although I don’t have it mounted all of the time. For longer hikes and treestand hunting I don’t use it.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:51 PM

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
On my heavy precision rigs, I run LRA’s. Both the light tactical and the F-class. They are big and bulky. I also have an Atlas, which I’m not too fond of. I also have a couple of Harris’s (not the knock-offs).

I suppose the OP should tell us what rifle he’s using it for and in what situations.
Yup cant use shooting sticks shooting off a bench or in competition. That being said I have used Atlas and Harris, both are very nice. I find the Atlas easier to use. I have pinched my fingers numerous times using a Harris. Both are great quality.

I dont recommend aftermarket. Have had a few they always seem to fail. When it comes to bipods (buy once cry once) is a trueism.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:34 PM

Harris..... but shooting sticks are better... Polecat makes a nice set.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Mount a arca rail on your stock and Get a tripod
Gunwerks revic tripods are a really good value
I have the backpacker and it’s nice and light
My other one is a really tight stuff
Any experience with the rugged ridge extreme pod and the extreme rear support Mark? Got to play with them a bit down south and found the quality and stability using both was great. Bit spendy but sure a nice setup. Good for the long distance pokes
Super lightweight as well. Even the rear support would be handy shooting off the pack

http://www.ruggedridgeoutdoorgear.com/
Old 08-24-2022, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Any experience with the rugged ridge extreme pod and the extreme rear support Mark? Got to play with them a bit down south and found the quality and stability using both was great. Bit spendy but sure a nice setup. Good for the long distance pokes
Super lightweight as well. Even the rear support would be handy shooting off the pack

http://www.ruggedridgeoutdoorgear.com/
I have the rear support one, and I like it
Works well
It’s light enough you don’t notice it and it’s far better than shuffling rocks in a hurray lol
Old 08-24-2022, 06:15 PM

Harris for me . short notched model for gophers , long one for big game . A little bit of a pain on the big gun but pays off for me
Old 08-24-2022, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ve used the same 13-27” Harris for everything for over 20 years. It’s on the rifle for load development, target practice, gophers, coyotes, big game… everything except grouse with the .22. It’s short enough to shoot prone and tall enough to get over grass, snow and debris. I don’t have a picture of me hunting or shooting without it on my rifle. It’s literally the crutch I wouldn’t be without.
I tried shorter bipods and they don’t work the same. We are all different but I’ll carry the weight penalty and deal with the change of balance so I can have a rock solid rest at a moments notice when a shot opportunity arises. I’ve had many shots that were to far to shoot offhand or there were no natural rests and my Harris has never let me down.
this....i have one on every rifle i own except my .22's. call coyotes every winter for 25 years and wouldn't be without it.