Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-16-2021, 08:56 AM

Default Getting Crossbow License in Alberta

This is just a how to thread for those people that might be interested.

The first consideration is to review the Alberta Hunting Regs. There are something like 5 different medical reasons that might let you get the exemption.

In my case, #5, which is basically a medical/physical condition that doesn't allow the user to draw a conventional bow, and is not going to improve.

My right shoulder socket is buggered up. I can haul the compound back a time or 2 but no way that I can draw and fire it enough to become proficient with the compound anymore.

Called the doc to see about getting the medical approval, that's when it got a bit dicey (cuz I had already bought an Excalibur Bulldog 400), and she said I'd have to get an MRI & XRays on my shoulder.
Plus how come I had never mentioned an issue with my shoulder? Oh jeez... "Well doc it's like this...it's only a problem when trying to draw a compound bow.."

So I had to go to a clinic in Edmonton, got the MRI & XRays done, and I had no idea if I was gonna get approved.

But thanks goodness the MRI & Xrays verified that my right shoulder is buggered up.

Doc wrote up a letter for me.

But then I had to go to Alberta Fish & Wildlife and get the govt application, had to trot that back to my doctor for her to fill out, which was no big deal but cost $25.

Finally with my MRI & XRay results, doc's letter and Alberta Crossbow Exemption application filled out, sent that off to Alberta Fish & Wildlife for review/approval.

A nice lady from the Edmonton office of Ab F&W called me, said my application would be approved immediately.

Final thing: she then emailed once the exemption was officially approved and said to go on Alberta RELM and make sure to print off my crossbow license (no fee for that) for 2021, so that it will automatically activate in subsequent years.

And I did that. Printed my crossbow license exemption, which is actually good for the next 5 years.

Summary:
1. Doc appointment.
2. MRI & Xray.
3. Doc reviews MRI & Xray results.
4. Get letter from doc confirming you have medical proof that you qualify under one of the 5 or so exemptions.
5. Then you still need to get Alberta govt exemption application, which your doc has to fill out.
6. Submit MRI & Xray results, plus doc letter, plus doc filling out Alberta govt application to Alberta F&W for review/approval.
7. Alberta F&W approval.
8. Go to Alberta RELM and find crossbow permit in Hunting Licenses, print it off for current year so that it automatically activates for future years.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-16-2021, 09:13 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm positive that this will be helpful for members on here with similar issues.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:15 AM

Thanks. I have a friend that can use this as he has shoulder issues. He used to be a pretty dialed-in shooter and hunter with a compound bow so it's kind of sad but at least he wouldn't be giving up his archery season.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:14 PM
Banned

Arrow

Followed the same process.
Back then you had to apply annually.
After the third year, my SawBones sent along a note explaining that like vets with no legs, my shoulder was simply never going to get any better.
Next permit was for life.

Straight Shooting...
Nog
Old 11-16-2021, 04:24 PM

my better half acquired hers very easily, could have been due to covid early on in the wreckage last spring. she printed the application form and took it with her during one of her surgeon follow-ups. she has a life long wrist defect. paperwork was directly emailed to the bonnyville office and not a question was asked, it was attached to her win# on albertarelm within hours.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:47 PM

Default Better

Used to be a royal pain in the A&!*

Glad they smartened up.

My buddy (Amputee) had to go in every year and go to the Doc every year to prove his fingers. did not grow back. Crossbow permit.

Same thing for the exemption for being closer to a vehicle, had to prove his foot was still missing.

He finally gave up.

Don't stop getting out folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2021, 06:27 PM

It is still overly regulated.

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/doc...on-Jul2019.pdf
https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/doc...on-Aug2019.pdf

These ^^ two links guide you through the process. Follow them and you wont have to go back and forth between your Dr and F&W multiple times

Submission of MRI and XRAY images aren't needed to be submitted with an application. F&W staff do not possess the skill to interpret diagnostic images.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
It is still overly regulated.

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/doc...on-Jul2019.pdf
https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/doc...on-Aug2019.pdf

These ^^ two links guide you through the process. Follow them and you wont have to go back and forth between your Dr and F&W multiple times

Submission of MRI and XRAY images aren't needed to be submitted with an application. F&W staff do not possess the skill to interpret diagnostic images.
Yeah I wouldn't know that, once I went to the doc to ask her for medical she said I had to get the MRI and XRay to satisfy her that there was something wrong in my shoulder.

So I pretty much had to comply with her request.

But I will def' agree the regulations are too stringent.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-16-2021, 10:06 PM

My dad doesn’t have any bone in his forearm, it’s all steel, he can’t draw a bow but he doesn’t qualify for a crossbow exemption, which sucks because I’d love to hunt archery with him.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
My dad doesn’t have any bone in his forearm, it’s all steel, he can’t draw a bow but he doesn’t qualify for a crossbow exemption, which sucks because I’d love to hunt archery with him.
Jeez I would suggest a second opinion on that! Surely some doc would give him the medical clearance!

I know in my case I was gonna chase every doctor I had to until I got a favorable result.

Fortunately my family doc was good about the whole thing. Even having me do the MRI and XRay to me was fine, as I believed it would validate my claim... which obviously it all worked out for me.

So I say get another doc opinion! Fight for what's right!

Oh yeah for the record, what the MRI-XRay revealed in my shoulder is scar tissue, tore my shoulder at some time in my sports career (hockey, football, wrestling etc...). Plus the socket is 'loose'. Kinda pops in and out when I do certain things, like shoot a compound bow.

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 11-16-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:27 AM

Wording on the application changed in 2018/2019. Prior to that you had to almost be at the point where you were missing an arm to get the permit. It is much easier to get the permit now if you are medically supported.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:34 AM
Banned

WOW

I have a damaged arm, my draw arm of course, and was thinking of converting to a crossbow. I had no idea that it was that difficult and assumed it was like buying a bow!!!

Who was the bonehead that turned a crossbow into a Thompsom Machine Gun?
Old 11-17-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
WOW

I have a damaged arm, my draw arm of course, and was thinking of converting to a crossbow. I had no idea that it was that difficult and assumed it was like buying a bow!!!

i do not believe it is that difficult. every person you deal with will be different though, just submit an application and see what they say. like i stated prior my womens application was very simple and straightforward, no questions asked.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
WOW

But the important thing to remember is that it is simply a process, and if you follow the steps then it's definitely doable.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-17-2021, 07:30 AM
Banned

Yes, I get that, I am just surprised that there are steps to take. Should be as easy as buying a bow IMO

I have not purchased a bow in many years, do you now have to "Take Steps" to purchase a bow these days too?
Old 11-17-2021, 10:10 AM

Default not that hard

Doctor writes note unable to use conventional archery equipment,condition permanent +submit. No problem getting mine.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, I get that, I am just surprised that there are steps to take. Should be as easy as buying a bow IMO

I have not purchased a bow in many years, do you now have to "Take Steps" to purchase a bow these days too?
You can purchase a crossbow, no additional paperwork required. You just can’t hunt with it during the archery season unless you have the exemption.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:26 AM

Default Doctor is the key cog in the wheel

I have cervical spondylopathy that has resulted in permanent nerve damage in left hand/arm and a torn rotator cuff on the other arm. A trip to my doctor who was well aware of both, and two days later I was approved. The lady at the Edmonton office is a lovely person.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
You can purchase a crossbow, no additional paperwork required. You just can’t hunt with it during the archery season unless you have the exemption.
Unbelievable, our country is going downhill @ 100,000 MPH, so very sad indeed.

Thanks for the heads up fishnguy
Old 11-18-2021, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have cervical spondylopathy that has resulted in permanent nerve damage in left hand/arm and a torn rotator cuff on the other arm. A trip to my doctor who was well aware of both, and two days later I was approved. The lady at the Edmonton office is a lovely person.
Thanks sns2, good to know, I can easily get a letter from my doctor.

Cheer's and congrats on your son's moose and hope your dog heals up QUICKLY!
Old 11-19-2021, 04:18 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
... Who was the bonehead that turned a crossbow into a Thompsom Machine Gun?
It doesn't take much looking to figure out just who to thank for that...

Nog
Old 11-19-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
WOW

The world of bow hunting is a very elitist group broken up with different factions that all feel the next lower group in their minds shouldn’t be allowed to call themselves bow hunters by definition.

In general, guys that use traditional recurve gear look down on anyone who use a bow with pulleys on it and both groups look down on crossbow users. It’s like a few guys running around with crossbows during bow season is the beginning of the end of times for them.

The funny thing is if there is a threat to bow hunting or bow seasons it would be the lack of inclusion and diversity amongst these groups. Together they would have a much stronger voice than they do divided like what we presently see.

The fact there is a thread describing how it has become easier to get a crossbow permit for use in bow season will anger a great many members on here.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
The world of bow hunting is a very elitist group broken up with different factions that all feel the next lower group in their minds shouldn’t be allowed to call themselves bow hunters by definition.

In general, guys that use traditional recurve gear look down on anyone who use a bow with pulleys on it and both groups look down on crossbow users. It’s like a few guys running around with crossbows during bow season is the beginning of the end of times for them.

The funny thing is if there is a threat to bow hunting or bow seasons it would be the lack of inclusion and diversity amongst these groups. Together they would have a much stronger voice than they do divided like what we presently see.

The fact there is a thread describing how it has become easier to get a crossbow permit for use in bow season will anger a great many members on here.
That sure is interesting hey?

I have been bow hunting for 36 years and never looked at it that way, started with a recurve, went to a compound for improved speed and accuracy and going to a crossbow because I am old with injuries to my shoulder and elbow.

Never considered myself as an elitist at any stage and never looked down on anyone either.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
That sure is interesting hey?

I have been bow hunting for 36 years and never looked at it that way, started with a recurve, went to a compound for improved speed and accuracy and going to a crossbow because I am old with injuries to my shoulder and elbow.

Never considered myself as an elitist at any stage and never looked down on anyone either.
Same story for me and I don’t think we are in the minority but guys that are like us are usually less vocal/opinionated.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

I've bow hunted for 35 years and ^^^^^ is the truth. I used to be one of those guys who thought the inclusion of crossbows in the archery season was to be treated as a threat. I have since come to my senses.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've bow hunted for 35 years and ^^^^^ is the truth. I used to be one of those guys who thought the inclusion of crossbows in the archery season was to be treated as a threat. I have since come to my senses.
Did you have a V8?

I would imaging the only difference between a recurve, compound, or crossbow, is that a crossbow is way easier to use in many ways than the other two.

Takes a while to become proficient in the bush on game with a bow in my experience. I have not used a crossbow yet, but I would imaging it's like pointing a rifle and pulling the trigger, you just lose distance.

Question: What is the range of a good crossbow?
Old 11-20-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Did you have a V8?

I would imaging the only difference between a recurve, compound, or crossbow, is that a crossbow is way easier to use in many ways than the other two.

Takes a while to become proficient in the bush on game with a bow in my experience. I have not used a crossbow yet, but I would imaging it's like pointing a rifle and pulling the trigger, you just lose distance.

Question: What is the range of a good crossbow?
Answer: Same as for compound bow.

I've been using trad bows/compound bows/xbows for 35 years, so in my "experience" post #22 is solid. If you haven't encountered any resistance to crossbow use, than you haven't been paying attention to that conversation. Reading your posts on the subject....sounds like you have an open mind on the subject

I didn't get the V8 connection...........if it was meant to be an insult, don't bother with clarification.

Last edited by CNP; 11-20-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Answer: Same as for compound bow.

I've been using trad bows/compound bows/xbows for 35 years, so in my "experience" post #22 is solid. If you haven't encountered any resistance to crossbow use, than you haven't been paying attention to that conversation. Reading your posts on the subject....sounds like you have an open mind on the subject

I didn't get the V8 connection...........if it was meant to be an insult, don't bother with clarification.
I do not insult anyone ever, I hate negativity!

It was a play on the V8 (vegetable drink advertisement) where when the person takes a sip and it gives him/her clarity or an epiphany, meant as humor, sir!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYo0lVVH2wU

So a compound shoots out to 100 yards? I really do not know anything about them, but will be doing lots of research this winter
Old 11-20-2021, 12:34 PM

I can hit a pie plate at 100 yards every shot with a Excalibur 440 Bulldog with a Tac100 scope on it. That’s in good lighting. The quality of the optics is not up to par to that of a good Leupold for instance.

But it takes a bit to get out to 100 yards. I’d be comfortable shooting game at 50 yards. A lot can happen in that last 50 yards so while the bolt will hit the spot I’m aiming at there is nothing saying the animal will still be standing there when it gets to the 100 yard mark.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:08 PM
Banned

Well typical bow shot are under 40 yards, but its nice to go out to 80.