Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
It will be g10 scales w yellow and black liners. Clint is going to put in the rough shape then ill do any finishing touches for my personal grip

I couldnt decide between s90v or magnacut so i asked him to surprise me lol....pretty sure its magnacut
Grip will have a similar shape to this sketch. Thicker on the front left ( thumb rest) and scalped behind that to be able to index well when using my index finger on the jimping. I changed the grip slightly from a crotts to have slightly more curve which will help alleviate wrist tension.
I went with CPM 3V but my readings are sure positive on the S90VN and Magnacut steel.

Very nice design.

Amazing in all of my years and here in the latter portion of my hunting; that I stumbled into Clint. I am impressed by his knowledge and how flexible he is, to make you happy...

Add to that, I am supporting a local guy.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:18 PM

Default My 2 cents

I really do love my buck knives. We were able to do a moose and two deer on a trip and only required minimal touch ups.

Last year I tried the havolon piranta and actually liked it. I was skeptical and thought it was too small but it actually worked quite well.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Well, after thinking long and hard about my order from Crotts, and talking with Dan, I completely changed the design of knife I am ordering. He’s gonna start making it this week or next. I’m very excited!

I dare say this thread has turned into many orders from many custom knifemakers which in and of itself is a damn good thing!

Might sell some gear and order another custom from Tim Olt in Michigan. A Loveless Drop Point Hunter. We will see though. Gotta explain this one to the wife still. LOL.
What blade design did you change your order to?
Old 06-22-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnHenry View Post
I really do love my buck knives. We were able to do a moose and two deer on a trip and only required minimal touch ups.

Last year I tried the havolon piranta and actually liked it. I was skeptical and thought it was too small but it actually worked quite well.
I agree on the Buck knives. Have used a 110 folder for over 45 years as my main knife and outside it I only carry my EDC which is a 3 blade Case Stockman. All this "PURCHASE MENTORING" finally talked me into trying a Crotts. To be honest, the Crotts is about the same price as the last 110 with stag handles and SV30 steel that I ordered from the Buck custom shop. I need more knives like a hole in the head, but a guy needs to have some fun.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I went with CPM 3V but my readings are sure positive on the S90VN and Magnacut steel.

Very nice design.

Amazing in all of my years and here in the latter portion of my hunting; that I stumbled into Clint. I am impressed by his knowledge and how flexible he is, to make you happy...

Add to that, I am supporting a local guy.
Clint had some nice magnacut knives for sale on cgn but they sold quick.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
My latest knife is an LT Wright 'Large nothern hunter' in AEB-L.
Some tough steel, not usually seen in hunting knives. Would be nice to hear a field report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Well, after thinking long and hard about my order from Crotts, and talking with Dan, I completely changed the design of knife I am ordering. He’s gonna start making it this week or next. I’m very excited!

I dare say this thread has turned into many orders from many custom knifemakers which in and of itself is a damn good thing!

Might sell some gear and order another custom from Tim Olt in Michigan. A Loveless Drop Point Hunter. We will see though. Gotta explain this one to the wife still. LOL.
Interesting development. Why change of heart? And why Tim Olt for a loveless drop point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
To be honest, the Crotts is about the same price as the last 110 with stag handles and SV30 steel that I ordered from the Buck custom shop.
That’s some expensive Buck 110!
Old 06-29-2022, 07:20 AM

Fishnguy, the change of heart for me was that I wanted a knife that was still a skinner, but that had some added length in the blade to be more helpful in processing the animal from start to finish, as well as to make things like coring out the azz and reaching way up into the chest cavity of a bull moose in the dark, in the bush a little easier. After talking with Dan Crotts, he has a model that was designed for expressly that kind of use. The cool thing is this particular design has some history to it, in that it in that Walter Brend, the legendary knife maker, gave Dan Crotts permission to use his name and design when Dan expressed an admiration for his style of skinner at a knife show.

As for the question on Tim Olt, I spend a fair bit of time on 24hr Campfire. Many of the members there have knives made from Tim Holt, who is an active member of the knife forum. I have messaged a number of these guys asking who their fav hunting knife maker is, and to a man, they say that Holt is the guy. All these guys can buy whatever they want, and have had multiple knives go through their hands by all the big names. They just love Tim Holt, and say that for the price, his knives offer incredible value. In fact one member who has had 8 or 9 knives from him extended me a standing offer that if I buy a knife from Tim and don’t like it, he will buy it off me for full price. Tim Olt is kinda like Crotts, Dozier, Igram et al in that his knives are functional tools to be used, not highly finished showpieces.

Here is a link to a recent thread he posted showing the profiles available for his latest run of knives….

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...2-build#UNREAD

I am seriously contemplating ordering a Loveless Drop Point Hunter from him with wood scales that I source myself.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:40 AM

Holy smokes I can't remember the last time I read a whole thread this long, it's a great read!
Lately I have been watching a local guy who builds knifes up here in Ft. McMurray . He does very nice work with limited facilities .
The straw was a kukri that he built and was demonstrating on his facebook page, cutting paper,
2 x4, heavy leather, etc
Well jeepers , guess what happened?!
I will post some pics when it is finished.
Looking at all the great photos here,I cannot wait for hunting season to be once again upon us !
Cat
Old 06-29-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Holy smokes I can't remember the last time I read a whole thread this long, it's a great read!
Lately I have been watching a local guy who builds knifes up here in Ft. McMurray . He does very nice work with limited facilities .
The straw was a kukri that he built and was demonstrating on his facebook page, cutting paper,
2 x4, heavy leather, etc
Well jeepers , guess what happened?!
I will post some pics when it is finished.
Looking at all the great photos here,I cannot wait for hunting season to be once again upon us !
Cat
looking forward to it Cat! let me know his FB page so i can see his work!
Old 06-29-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
looking forward to it Cat! let me know his FB page so i can see his work!
Look for Broesky Corwin on facebook
Cat
Old 06-29-2022, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=sns2;4535992]Fishnguy, the change of heart for me was that I wanted a knife that was still a skinner, but that had some added length in the blade to be more helpful in processing the animal from start to finish, as well as to make things like coring out the azz and reaching way up into the chest cavity of a bull moose in the dark, in the bush a little easier. After talking with Dan Crotts, he has a model that was designed for expressly that kind of use. The cool thing is this particular design has some history to it, in that it in that Walter Brend, the legendary knife maker, gave Dan Crotts permission to use his name and design when Dan expressed an admiration for his style of skinner at a knife show.

On my Chisan build we put a bit more length in the blade (3.5" overall) than the crotts semi skinner for these same reasons.just long enough for the types of work you describedbut still short enough to be nimble and controlled.... I like the idea of a one knife to do everything from field to freezer but I like two very different styles for each task... im pretty certain ill be getting a meat knife in the future as well.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:16 AM

I must be in the minority here. To remove the bladder and exhaust pipe I cut the skin around the area in question from the outside then grab either from the inside or outside and pull everything out of the pelvis. The tissue inside of the pelvis doesn’t need to be cut, it’s literally like pulling apart a wet paper bag.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I must be in the minority here. To remove the bladder and exhaust pipe I cut the skin around the area in question from the outside then grab either from the inside or outside and pull everything out of the pelvis. The tissue inside of the pelvis doesn’t need to be cut, it’s literally like pulling apart a wet paper bag.
You are not alone. I remove everything in the pelvis with my hands. I cut the hide. Break everything away with my fingers from the outside then finish from the inside with my fingers and pull it through from that direction.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Me too
Old 06-29-2022, 02:03 PM

One other thing to note on the semi skinner is blade depth. My hunting partner is a taxidermist and he likes shallow blade depth. He likes a point up front for fine work while field dressing. Just for those initial, in tight, delicate cuts. That is fair, but the semi skinner has that. If you hide the back of that blade you would think that knife is shallower than it is. It is absolutely a great “fine work” knife. Most skinners have to much abrupt transition between the belly and the tip. This one doesn’t. I’ve caped with it and now gutted small fish with it. It’s perfect.

That depth also allows a taller, thinner grind. I have another Dozier semi skinner arriving shortly. My first one was thicker behind the edge than the Crotts and I assume this one will be as well. There isn’t enough room to get a thinner hollow grind there. It is thin. But not as thin as the Crotts.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Me too
A friend who has worked with lots of beef butchering taught me to carry a plastic bag and from the inside place the bladder and poop tube in there tie a knot then pull through. I do gutless method more and more though as I do my own cutting anyway it’s funner to do some of it while still feeling the adrenaline amd being outside instead of in a boring garage.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
A friend who has worked with lots of beef butchering taught me to carry a plastic bag and from the inside place the bladder and poop tube in there tie a knot then pull through. I do gutless method more and more though as I do my own cutting anyway it’s funner to do some of it while still feeling the adrenaline amd being outside instead of in a boring garage.
There is something very satisfying about processing game on the ground. I agree.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
One other thing to note on the semi skinner is blade depth. My hunting partner is a taxidermist and he likes shallow blade depth. He likes a point up front for fine work while field dressing. Just for those initial, in tight, delicate cuts. That is fair, but the semi skinner has that. If you hide the back of that blade you would think that knife is shallower than it is. It is absolutely a great “fine work” knife. Most skinners have to much abrupt transition between the belly and the tip. This one doesn’t. I’ve caped with it and now gutted small fish with it. It’s perfect.

That depth also allows a taller, thinner grind. I have another Dozier semi skinner arriving shortly. My first one was thicker behind the edge than the Crotts and I assume this one will be as well. There isn’t enough room to get a thinner hollow grind there. It is thin. But not as thin as the Crotts.

The last two words of that first paragraph say what I think every time I use mine. I don’t know how it could be improved and until you use one, you just don’t understand how good it is.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:

With all due respect...do we really have to make this so complicated?

No one is carving the Mona Lisa.

Most agree, I believe, that a shorter blade, regardless of the configuration, will do an excellent job for all gutting/skinning general hunting applications.

Sharp and well honed blade will do that. Shorter blades are easier on the wrist also, my opinion for what it is worth.

Please correct me if I am wrong...
Old 06-29-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
With all due respect...do we really have to make this so complicated?

No one is carving the Mona Lisa.

Most agree, I believe, that a shorter blade, regardless of the configuration, will do an excellent job for all gutting/skinning general hunting applications.

Sharp and well honed blade will do that. Shorter blades are easier on the wrist also, my opinion for what it is worth.

Please correct me if I am wrong...
The blade is 3.25” long. It’s not a sword by any means.

It’s not complicated at all.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:12 AM

Guys complain about the cost of custom knives, I was just looking at the current store prices for components, powder 85 a pound, CCI primers 14/100, cup and core bullets $100/100. So basically, 3 sleeves of primers, or 4 pounds of powder or 400 Hornady Interlocks pays for a custom knife. Guess which of those you will still have 20 years from now.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-30-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Guys complain about the cost of custom knives, I was just looking at the current store prices for components, powder 85 a pound, CCI primers 14/100, cup and core bullets $100/100. So basically, 3 sleeves of primers, or 4 pounds of powder or 400 Hornady Interlocks pays for a custom knife. Guess which of those you will still have 20 years from now.
Or one and a half tanks full of diesel in a pickup
Old 06-30-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I dont begrudge anyone for how they choose to spend their money. Nor should anyone critique how i spend mine. Every one places priority on different things. If we all just respect other peoples choices and where they see value things would be good
Old 06-30-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Not in any way relevant. What is relevant, is that you can get a perfectly good knife from Buck, Grohman and others that will also be around in 20 years and will do the job exceptionally well for 25% of the cost.

I don't think people are complaining about the price of a custom knife. I think the vast majority don't think they are worth the money to them. The vast majority use their knife once a year for skinning and processing. The best choice for a hunting/skinning knife is more likely a hybrid bush craft or survival knife that will double at clearing shooting lanes and robust enough to chop a bit in a survival situation.

Those knives are beautiful but nothing more than a luxury indulgence. I think they are awesome for those that are into that sort of thing. As mentioned earlier however, even those that skin and process for a living get by with much less.

I like me a nice shotgun (or 10) that most would consider a little extravagant and the odd fly rod (or 10) that don't catch me any more fish, but that's my thing. I don't believe that others don't have them because they can't afford them or care enough about the price to complain. I believe they choose to spend their money on something else they would rather have.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:40 AM

You guys misinterpreted what I was saying. I was not criticizing anyone for not buying a custom knife, I was just amazed at how much loading components had gone up. I have hunted for 50 years using a Buck 110. The first one was given to me by my dad, it was the old hard steel version of the 420 Stainless that buck used to make before they softened it up a bit to make them easier to sharpen. I still have it.

All the custom knives I tried over the years I either sold or sent back, I didn't see them as superior, or even as good. I got convinced to try a Crotts, we shall see if it is as good as claimed, but I will still take my S30V Buck 110 with the antler handles with me just in case. (35th Anniversary present from my wife. Just as an aside, that Buck cost almost as much as the new Crotts will.)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:06 AM

The Buck Vanguard Alaskan Guide is on sale this weekend at Cabelas along with some others. It has the S30V steel.

I picked up the rubber handled version off an internet seller and it is a really nice knife that would last a person a life time if well cared for.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:33 AM

Someone needs to buy this.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1048332/
Old 07-01-2022, 09:10 AM

Default Bought it, I think

Thanks Pathfinder76, showed order was being processed.

Last edited by Athabasca1; 07-01-2022 at 09:11 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-01-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Someone did....
Old 07-01-2022, 09:12 AM

Me me me