Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-10-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I luv the look on peoples faces when they simply make bad decisions and can’t understand how they had such a miserable outcome.
This actually sums up life in general and not just hunting alone….
Old 05-10-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You can do the same thing now too
Except if things hit the fan you can call for help

I have too many hunts still left to do, so Im not willing to die on a mountain because i was too cheap or too proud to carry an inreach
I used to take off sheep hunting without telling anybody I was even going, let alone where I was going. Grown a little wiser now I guess. Started out with a spot when they made an appearance, went to a sat phone, and now carry an inreach
Old 05-10-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonEli View Post
So I've been contemplating to do a single day solo hunting trip
Definitely with Smoky Buck myself.

I do it all the time, I would say at least 95% of my hunting is exactly that. Mostly in the bush and river valleys, all day, often with no reception.

I usually have some rope (paracord or something tough), a lighter, water, flashlight, knife or two, sometimes bear spray, perhaps another thing or two; more stuff if I bring backpack, such as spare clothes, etc. In the vehicle I have an extra jacket, a hatchet, a shovel, another couple of knives, etc. Not always, but more often than not, I don’t even bring food because I can do without. I do bring a granola bar or two, which I leave in the vehicle if I do not take the backpack with me but they often come back home with me. Water is a must though (always extra in the vehicle).

On the other hand, I always tell where I am going to my wife and she knows I should be back by the end of the day. If there is no reception, I do not shoot anything past certain time too far out. My cousin knows all the usual “spots” I could be at; in new areas, I circle on the map where I am planning to be. In the new areas, a guy also needs some means to find the direction to follow, so you need to account for that as well.

Longer trips would be different, of course. Day hunts? I wouldn’t overthink it. Take the basic stuff and knock yourself out (well, try not to, lol). It isn’t different from hiking the bush/mountains/whatever for a day. Watch where you are going/your step, common sense and all that. Know the time and your way out. Getting out in the dark from far out in unfamiliar areas sucks, even when there is phone reception.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:

I have too many hunts still left to do, so Im not willing to die on a mountain because i was too cheap or too proud to carry an inreach
Couldn't agree more, well said.

If you want to hunt solo without any newfangled communication thingys fill your boots, I was ten feet tall and bulletproof at one time to.

Not sure why anyone would waste a single solitary keystroke beating their chest arguing against it though.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:43 AM

Great input to the thread.
Solo hunting requires the discipline of fore thought and awareness. You can't become complacent or take avoidable risks.

A person can also add a harmonica or small flute to the backpack. If a person gets held up in the bush a musical instrument can be a good friend to have to stave off loneliness and the deafening silence of a night forest.

One thing to consider when hunting solo is getting to know the land you are hunting. The first time you go solo to new land you are pretty much bushwhacking blind. Every time you go to that same land it becomes more familiar and comfortable. Over time you can start patterning the animals and their trails.

Another thing about going to the same land all the time is a person can carry in a 5 gallon pail (or two) with a good lid and stash some essentials so the following times you go you don't have as much to carry or pack for the day.

Realistically a square mile should be more than enough land to solo hunt on foot for birds, deer and possibly other big game. (I know this might not apply to elk, sheep or goat hunts.) With google earth today a person can over look the land easily and get a good lay of the land. Great tool.
~~~

It is interesting to read the comments about having cell service or carrying spot service in the back country. Where's everyone's sense of adventure? You won't have any good stories ot tell your grand kids.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-11-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Couldn't agree more, well said.

If you want to hunt solo without any newfangled communication thingys fill your boots, I was ten feet tall and bulletproof at one time to.

Not sure why anyone would waste a single solitary keystroke beating their chest arguing against it though.
Exactly i have always hunted alone ,Been carrying a in reach for years 66i ,i hunt close to roads a few miles but it would be very hard to find me without dogs if something happend ,AT least with inreach they could find me quite easley and it would not be a very expensive cost are tons of resources to find my carcass
Old 05-11-2022, 09:03 AM

I used to spend months alone out on a trapline without communication of any kind except for a Sony battery operated am radio . On a good night you could get Yorkton or Seattle , but mostly the only station was CBC.
Flew in, and fllew out.
I still hunt mostly alone, but always let my wife know where I will be hunting and when I will be back. I am still pretty indipendant , and can stay out for extended periods without issue, but I also carry a cell phone so I can call someone to help me if I get an animal down that is too much for my busted azzed body to handle
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-11-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:18 AM

I don’t think it has anything to do with “beating one’s chest” but instead people assess risks differently

Nothing wrong with carrying any of the devices listed. The reality is they are fairly common for those doing multi day backcountry hunts but I would bet majority don’t carry them on day or weekend hunts close to the roads. Again nothing wrong with those who are more comfortable carrying them on all hunts even

Choose whatever you feel is need for you to feel comfortable
Old 05-11-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Bush sense and common sense saved way more lives than any inreach.

People take more chances when they believe that someone can just come save them when they call 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2022, 12:25 PM

I always hunt deer solo, I’ll never hunt with a friend again. Grazing leases are your best bet. You can get off the beaten track but not too far.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:35 PM

Default What I did

Hi: I found the most significant thing with solo, backcountry hunting was to build the confidence and skills I needed to give me and the wife comfort I would live to tell my hunting story. At first, I camped close to the car...then stretched the time and distance until I could stay our for 5 days or more, in the mountains, chasing sheep.

I will also shout out to my ex-military buddy, who did have the skills to do this stuff more easily. I learned a ton from him.

It was one of the most memorable times in my life.

Get a Spot or In-Reach....and go for it

Hoopi

Last edited by Hoopi; 05-11-2022 at 12:36 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-11-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Maybe you guys just worry more than I do. The mentors I had growing up would be looking at this thread wondering when hunting became so complicated.

Like I said to each their own
It’s not like people have been doing it for the better part of humanity without a cellphone. Not at all.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:21 PM
Banned

Read all the post by you guys, thank you for all the advice. I'll start making a list of things I'll want to buy and kits to make for solo hunting.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Bush sense and common sense saved way more lives than any inreach.

People take more chances when they believe that someone can just come save them when they call 911.

I disagree
Old 05-12-2022, 03:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Read all the post by you guys, thank you for all the advice. I'll start making a list of things I'll want to buy and kits to make for solo hunting.

I keep all my stuff in a very large tote and break it down from there for the type/duration of hunt I am going on.
When I use to bush whack planning for a few days or whatever I always carried enough rations/water for an additional two days in which if needed could probably stretch not out to four days.
In todays day and age there are so many things that are very effective/efficient that weigh and pack very light.
My son has some really has picked up some very good items over the years as he hits the mountains often but you will pay for them but man well worth it.
Go about it over time and 5 years later you’ll say holy crap I got a lot of stuff!
Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-13-2022, 10:45 PM

Was at Canadian Tire the other day and saw this on clearance, which made me think of this thread:

Maybe someone is looking and your CT has it on clearance too.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:32 AM

my biggest wt bucks i took solo . always a tough drag though
Old 05-14-2022, 09:04 AM

Two pages of bring this and that, and not one mention of TP.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-14-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Your solo, nobody will call you out for walking out of the bush missing a sock.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Wise advice

Snow does the job in a pinch but she is cold lol
Old 05-14-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
That is a given, about the same as me leaving the house without a hat on- just doesn't happen!
Cat
Old 05-14-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That is a given, about the same as me leaving the house without a hat on- just doesn't happen!
Cat
Hahaha! I'm sure that works for you Cat, but I have heard tell of people forgetting magazine, ammo and even their rifle! Brain fart in the heat of packing???
Old 05-14-2022, 06:34 PM

All you need is tags, rifle(or bow), and a good knife.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-14-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Maybe I don’t really think about it because I have hunted solo often for years from day hunts to 2 week backpack hunts. I don’t pack any fancy electronics or worry about cell service

All I ever do is make sure it is known when I will be back and where I went

My opinion is don’t overthink it go hunting and use common sense
This, I really dont even think about it. I've done up to 14 day canoe trip hunts for moose and elk solo, I dont consider a GPS mandatory and I never bring a cell phone.

On extended backcountry hunts I treat hunting gear as secondary to the primary importance of staying warm, dry, and well fed. On day hunts where I will be returning to the road at nightfall I'm an extreme minimalist, and given how far I venture off of the beaten path I need to always keep in mind that if I am injured or otherwise forced to spend the night in the bush it will suck pretty bad.

IMO the big thing is to identify and understand the risks well before they become a factor. I swear that 9 times out of 10, when somebody gets hurt doing anything at all, its generally because they failed to properly understand the risk before it was too late. On the flip side my own observation has been that very few people get hurt, even when doing dangerous things, so long as they are fully aware of the risks they are dealing with.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-14-2022 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Wise advice

Snow does the job in a pinch but she is cold lol
Lol, the only thing worse than wiping your rear with snow... is having no snow to wipe with. That said, there is rarely TP in my belt pack past late October... extreme minimalism and all.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Was at Canadian Tire the other day and saw this on clearance, which made me think of this thread:

Maybe someone is looking and your CT has it on clearance too.
I saw cabelas also having a sale on the same item. But unfortunately, I would like to buy the Garmin® inReach Explorer®+ instead though.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
This, I really dont even think about it. I've done up to 14 day canoe trip hunts for moose and elk solo, I dont consider a GPS mandatory and I never bring a cell phone.

On extended backcountry hunts I treat hunting gear as secondary to the primary importance of staying warm, dry, and well fed. On day hunts where I will be returning to the road at nightfall I'm an extreme minimalist, and given how far I venture off of the beaten path I need to always keep in mind that if I am injured or otherwise forced to spend the night in the bush it will suck pretty bad.

IMO the big thing is to identify and understand the risks well before they become a factor. I swear that 9 times out of 10, when somebody gets hurt doing anything at all, its generally because they failed to properly understand the risk before it was too late. On the flip side my own observation has been that very few people get hurt, even when doing dangerous things, so long as they are fully aware of the risks they are dealing with.
See that's the thing. You and others don't consider it mandatory and that's fine, absolutely fine. It never has been and hopefully never will be. I don't consider it mandatory at all but imho pretty cheap insurance in the big picture. I know my risks, I know my country, and I know what can happen trust me.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I saw cabelas also having a sale on the same item. But unfortunately, I would like to buy the Garmin® inReach Explorer®+ instead though.
The only reason they are on sale at cabelas and such is because Garmin puts them on sale. Just keep an eye on their website.

Good price on the 66's right now
https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/623975/pn/010-02088-01
Old 05-16-2022, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
See that's the thing. You and others don't consider it mandatory and that's fine, absolutely fine. It never has been and hopefully never will be. I don't consider it mandatory at all but imho pretty cheap insurance in the big picture. I know my risks, I know my country, and I know what can happen trust me.
I also dont really care how anyone else wants to conduct their hunts, and the gear they do or dont use. I'm just presenting the flip side, so that the OP gets a well rounded picture.

To me it didnt sound as if he was proposing any extreme back country hunting, at least not at this point, so IMO cramming tracking systems down his throat seems a little pre-mature give the OP's proposed adventures. Later down the road he would be in a better position to decide for himself if he needs a safety net when venturing further off the beaten path. JMO.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I also dont really care how anyone else wants to conduct their hunts, and the gear they do or dont use. I'm just presenting the flip side, so that the OP gets a well rounded picture.

To me it didnt sound as if he was proposing any extreme back country hunting, at least not at this point, so IMO cramming tracking systems down his throat seems a little pre-mature give the OP's proposed adventures. Later down the road he would be in a better position to decide for himself if he needs a safety net when venturing further off the beaten path. JMO.
I get a bit of a chuckle out of that, no one is trying to shove anything down anybodies throat. Just giving options not knowing exactly all the details however the op did mention solo bear down the road. I dunno-some of the places a person can end up bear hunting would have me bringing some form of communication, without getting into the real backcountry or considering personal harm. Even being careful it's fairly possible to find yourself stuck with no cell service and no idea when the next person is coming by.