Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-15-2022, 08:54 AM

Default Advice needed. Collecting payment from a gun that requires shipping

Morning.

I just sold one of my rifles. I have never had to ship a gun and wondering what the typical protocol is when it comes to payment.

Wondering if you guys might give me a rundown on how it works and what to look for and to avoid.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:59 AM

Well, if it were me selling, I wouldn't ship till I had cash. If it was me buying, I wouldn't pay till I had the item. A rock and a hard place per say...

I think typical is "item is shipped when payment is received", just like a store. If it's a high value item, you could use a 3rd party.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:08 AM

For the lower than $1K rifles I pay all upfront.

For anything above that I usually pay 1/2 the amount until I see some pictures of it being wrapped, possible way bill, then I promptly pay the other 1/2.

Then I cross my fingers. Usually if I see pictures of it being wrapped, and shipping label, the seller is legit.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:46 AM

I have made many a purchase here and on gun nutz. Trader rating plays a huge roll in what I am willing to do trust wise. If the trader rating is good I send money first and communicate that I want a tracking number as soon as it's shipped. Same goes for selling. The buyer sends me money and I make sure to communicate when I expect to be able to ship so there is no worries if I can't ship right away.
If there is no trader rating I try to talk with them via phone first to make sure all sounds good and kosher before sending money.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-15-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I have made many a purchase here and on gun nutz. Trader rating plays a huge roll in what I am willing to do trust wise. If the trader rating is good I send money first and communicate that I want a tracking number as soon as it's shipped. Same goes for selling. The buyer sends me money and I make sure to communicate when I expect to be able to ship so there is no worries if I can't ship right away.
If there is no trader rating I try to talk with them via phone first to make sure all sounds good and kosher before sending money.

I agree with all of this except the last part. Zero trading (for a seller) for me just means walk away. They can put in the work to get a decent trader rating before I send them $1000. As a buyer - I am comfortable with low ratings - as I have the money before the item leaves my possession.

There is a lot of trust in this process - but the trader rating system works and takes some of the risk out of the process.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the responses. I am speaking with him today, he has shipped multiple guns and I will see how he typically operates. I will have no rating as I have never sold a gun before but by having a conversation first should help.

Cheers
Old 06-15-2022, 10:30 AM

Who you guys using for shipping?
Old 06-15-2022, 11:05 AM

I use Canada Post lots. Set yourself up with a small business account ( free) and print your own labels. I often separate the action from the stock so things are not charged the oversize rate. Expect to pay about 55-60$ for shipping and $1k insurance.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:15 AM
Banned

I don’t ship anything until I have all the money
I also don’t expect anyone to ship anything to me unless they are paid in full
I take lots of pictures when I ship
I use express post with canada post and always have tracking and insurance
Old 06-15-2022, 11:26 AM

There is trust involved. Go by the trader rating, but you have no issue as you are selling, except to FULLY disclose any damage by photograph. Beyond that there is nothing hard for the seller. Get his cash and ship the gun.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:16 PM

https://www.canadapost-postescanada..../firearms.page
Old 06-16-2022, 03:45 PM

Another option I have not seen someone mention is doing collection on delivery through Canada post. If you are really unsure about who you are dealing with the shipper pays $7 for COD. Then when the item arrives at the delivers post office the buyer pays Canada post the amount of the item stated in the cod. Then Canada post sends a cheque to the shipper.

I used it once for a bow and while it took roughly 3 weeks to see the cheque from the day the item shipped, it put the buyer at ease. But I usually pay up front and use the feedback system plus google to verify who you are actually dealing with.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
Another option I have not seen someone mention is doing collection on delivery through Canada post. If you are really unsure about who you are dealing with the shipper pays $7 for COD. Then when the item arrives at the delivers post office the buyer pays Canada post the amount of the item stated in the cod. Then Canada post sends a cheque to the shipper.

I used it once for a bow and while it took roughly 3 weeks to see the cheque from the day the item shipped, it put the buyer at ease. But I usually pay up front and use the feedback system plus google to verify who you are actually dealing with.
I like COD a lot
Old 06-17-2022, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Well, if it were me selling, I wouldn't ship till I had cash...
This is standard operating procedure.

Quote:

If it was me buying, I wouldn't pay till I had the item...
That's NOT how it works...

I usually send a bit extra cash to cover most if not all of the shipping, if it's not covered in the original cost and will send more $ if needed.

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 06-17-2022 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Well, if it were me selling, I wouldn't ship till I had cash. If it was me buying, I wouldn't pay till I had the item. A rock and a hard place per say...

I think typical is "item is shipped when payment is received", just like a store. If it's a high value item, you could use a 3rd party.
Has that ever worked out for you?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-17-2022, 07:20 AM

Its not that hard. The buyer receives the agreed upon price for firearm and shipping via emt then ships firearm via Canada Post and sends a picture of receipt with tracking number. Done.

I would advise breaking barrel/action out from stock enabling shipping in a smaller box for a couple of reasons. Bubble pack is your friend. I take a pic of the wrapped box with home made address label on it and send to buyer prior to ship as well.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:40 PM

Default payment for firearm in advance of shipping

As others have said, you can fully rely on a person's trader rating, in my experience. A poor trader rating(or none at all) makes me reluctant to deal, period. If I did, it would be face to face only.
I would expect full payment before I would ship and would pay in full prior to expecting a seller to ship to me. That's how it works, and it works well.
Vance
Old 06-17-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I like COD a lot
Problem with COD is you don't get to open the package prior to paying. It could contain a rock or a beat to crap gun, or nothing at all. This has happened and CP won't refund you your money even if you open it up right in front of them.

Extensive trader rating from the seller, buyer it makes no difference as he is sending the money. If the seller has no trader rating I will EMT him the money once I receive the goods and inspect them, if he isn't agreeable, no reason I should trust him. I have a trader rating he doesn't. Other option is face to face, or a buddy in the town of purchase for face to face. Outside of that you are playing with fire while holding a pail of gasoline.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:23 AM
Banned

Money at hand before shipping.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplugman View Post
Money at hand before shipping.
Says the brand new member with no trader rating and not even enough posts to place an advertisement in the buy and sell. This is exactly what a guy needs to watch out for. Face to face, cash in hand is fine; no one with half a brain is going to send a complete stranger a thousand bucks and trust they will mail them a gun.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Says the brand new member with no trader rating and not even enough posts to place an advertisement in the buy and sell. This is exactly what a guy needs to watch out for. Face to face, cash in hand is fine; no one with half a brain is going to send a complete stranger a thousand bucks and trust they will mail them a gun.
I just bought a rifle from a fellow in the buy and sell that I did not know, but he had good ratings all around from here and elsewhere and had some transactions with well known long term members so I didn't even bat an eye and sent him the money. Turned out he was amazing and even sent me a scope to try with no payment on the promise I will send it back to him if it doesn't work out or send him payment for it if it does. I was honestly surprised he did that!

Personally I would not send anything to anyone I do not know without pre-payment unless someone I do know will vouch for them. There may be a few exceptions to that rule but in general I have been screwed over for money by people I thought I knew and trusted more than I have been screwed over by strangers so I am a little gun shy (pun intended lol) now.

(Edit - And a guy like you Dean would be one of the few I would send to on your word lol!)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-19-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I just bought a rifle from a fellow in the buy and sell that I did not know, but he had good ratings all around from here and elsewhere and had some transactions with well known long term members so I didn't even bat an eye and sent him the money. Turned out he was amazing and even sent me a scope to try with no payment on the promise I will send it back to him if it doesn't work out or send him payment for it if it does. I was honestly surprised he did that!

Personally I would not send anything to anyone I do not know without pre-payment unless someone I do know will vouch for them. There may be a few exceptions to that rule but in general I have been screwed over for money by people I thought I knew and trusted more than I have been screwed over by strangers so I am a little gun shy (pun intended lol) now.

(Edit - And a guy like you Dean would be one of the few I would send to on your word lol!)
As per my earlier posts in this thread, a good and extensive trader rating changes everything. I have bought a lot of stuff off of here and CGN, all from guys with good trader ratings. I would not buy from someone and send money in advance without one. Those guys it is face to face only. As far as someone sending you a scope to try, and pay for if you like it, given your general reputation on this forum as an excellent guy and the fact you are a mod on here, are pretty good indications you are a stand up guy.

I no longer trust anyone that I don't know or have references for. There are just far too many scam artists working every angle they can think of. As you say, even some people I know well I don't trust as far as I can throw them.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:43 AM

I’ve sold some guns on here yet I have no trader rating. They were face to face deals and I’ve driven to meet the buyers to save them some time. Buyers were allowed to fully examine rifle before they took it. One fellow said he tried to leave me a rating but couldn’t. Point of my story, not everyone that doesn’t have a trader rating is a crook.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:

I'd never ship a firearm COD Dean and would propose the number of transactions going down via that method are minimal.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:46 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I’ve sold some guns on here yet I have no trader rating. They were face to face deals and I’ve driven to meet the buyers to save them some time. Buyers were allowed to fully examine rifle before they took it. One fellow said he tried to leave me a rating but couldn’t. Point of my story, not everyone that doesn’t have a trader rating is a crook.
Absolutely fact as well, but in a day and age where scams are so easy to pull off electronically, a guy has to start with some basis of trust when high dollars, or any dollars for that matter, are involved.

When you can't suss out a person online, face to face is the only way, and even then I will have my spidey senses on high alert.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-19-2022, 09:57 AM

Like others have said, I look at the trader rating. Often there is a long positive history.

There are also sellers that will have the same user name on multiple platforms, I think that it is best, that way you can see a history of positive interactions across a few platforms.

When selling I prefer F2F, of course, that's not always possible. I don't sell often but when I do I am happy to provide the potential buyer with some proof of ID. Maybe my license and pal with the said firearm. You can hide any info you don't want to be digital.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:38 AM

All my transactions on this site have been excellent. I had one buyer on Townpost try to scam me after he received the rifle, but he later offered to buy more items from me!

I always give buyers my full name, address and phone and always request the same from sellers I have no experience with.

Just like any deal, get the money first, then send the goods.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:59 AM

Default COD here

Hi: COD and shipping using Canada Post. Split the cost with the buyer. Insurance on items over 100.

Downside: You have to wait up to 30 days to get paid. But you have a tracking receipt and number that works well on the website.

Hoopi
Old 06-20-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Problem with COD is you don't get to open the package prior to paying. It could contain a rock or a beat to crap gun, or nothing at all. This has happened and CP won't refund you your money even if you open it up right in front of them.

Extensive trader rating from the seller, buyer it makes no difference as he is sending the money. If the seller has no trader rating I will EMT him the money once I receive the goods and inspect them, if he isn't agreeable, no reason I should trust him. I have a trader rating he doesn't. Other option is face to face, or a buddy in the town of purchase for face to face. Outside of that you are playing with fire while holding a pail of gasoline.
Yes it “could happen” someone could send a rock instead. I still think cod is the safest way for both parties.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I would never accuse you of being a crook. Unfortunately - you have the same status as a new guy with zero posts and zero feedback. That's my position anyway. Too much risk unless I can meet you face to face.

Even with face to face - I get the other party to submit a rating. In fact - those are particularly good - since the other party can confirm that you are a real dude - not some ghost address on the internet.

Sending large sums of money over the internet is not task I take lightly - and I want all of the assurances I can get. The rating system is key.