Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-17-2022, 02:36 PM

Default Website to find the value of a rifle?

Wondering if there is a website out there that you can plug in information about your rifle to get a value on it? Like they have for the blue book value on cars.

Looking to sell an M1
Old 06-17-2022, 03:19 PM

Default Blue Book

There is a internet Blue Book of firearms, although likely to be a bit costly just to find value for one or two guns.
When I'm looking for a gun value, my "go-to" is Guns International. GI is a U.S. site, so keep to date on exchange, and bare in mind that most of the guns posted are from businesses. Regardless, you would find it quite helpful to get a general value.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:48 PM

You could try truegunvalue.com
Put in what type of gun and it usually comes up with some prices
I believe it is a us site
Old 06-17-2022, 06:53 PM

I usually just look for the model I'm selling on CGN/GP (for used stuff)

For new, I'll check those too and will often do a Google search like; "Tikka Varmint for sale+Canada" and see what dealers have/what they're charging.

I've never been on the sites named so far so I don't have a comment, but CGN/GP are big sites with content changing all the time. Good place to see asking prices vs. condition, restricted vs. non, etc. Worth noting, I think the inflation we're all feeling is driving some sellers to want to get rich on every sale. Seems asking prices have really spiked, but what someone is asking isn't always what they're getting of course.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I usually just look for the model I'm selling on CGN/GP (for used stuff)

For new, I'll check those too and will often do a Google search like; "Tikka Varmint for sale+Canada" and see what dealers have/what they're charging.

I've never been on the sites named so far so I don't have a comment, but CGN/GP are big sites with content changing all the time. Good place to see asking prices vs. condition, restricted vs. non, etc. Worth noting, I think the inflation we're all feeling is driving some sellers to want to get rich on every sale. Seems asking prices have really spiked, but what someone is asking isn't always what they're getting of course.
+

This is the correct answer. Firearms are worth what the going rate is Today. The appraised value sites might be good for the very high end exotic stuff but if its a Rem 700 or Win Mod 70 CGN, AO, etc is going to show the realistic current asks.

Throw out the high and low asks and you've got your real "today" pricing. There's always going to be guys thinking they can get full value for everything they've added to a gun or that think all firearms appreciate but that's not reality in the majority of cases.

Sorry but your used Axis isn't worth more than it was a year ago new. Very seldom that rifles or shotguns are and very few have a large following demand wise. Depends on the brand. Follow the Canadian sell sites for a few years and you get to know whats real and whats not.

Handguns right now are the exception.

Last edited by 270person; 06-17-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:19 AM
Banned

The value of a gun is what the owner think it is.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:05 AM

Selling an M1

Garand or carbine mint or rough condition, maker is important for collectors lots to consider best bet is to find similar on CGN, auction sites for a ball park

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...1341_p1_o6.cfm

I think the carbine is on the prohibited list now
Old 06-19-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplugman View Post
The value of a gun is what the owner think it is.

Actually the value of a firearm is what the market is willing to pay. 80% of owners think their firearms are worth more.

25% of sellers are clueless and throwing darts in the dark when it comes to determining values. A quick scan through any resell website confirms this pretty quickly.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Selling an M1

Garand or carbine mint or rough condition, maker is important for collectors lots to consider best bet is to find similar on CGN, auction sites for a ball park

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...1341_p1_o6.cfm

I think the carbine is on the prohibited list now
I couldn't find it on the prohib site but I could be wrong with Trudeau changing things. It has a 20" barrel.
Thank you everyone for your insight.