Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-19-2022, 03:57 AM
Banned

Default Ruger RPR

I want to get something to shoot longer range, and leaning to the Ruger RPR. But am struggling between 308 or 6.5 Creed. Normally I would go with 6.5 Creed, no question. But with ammo so hard to get thee days, I'm thinking I may go with 308. Also, the 308 version has a 20" barrel and is a pound lighter (although I would put an 18" rail on the 20" barrel, just because I like the look of less barrel showing, so I'd probably end up about the same weight).
Thoughts on 308 vs 6.5 Creed? And any other guns I should consider over the RPR, assuming the same price range.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:27 PM

I think for getting into long range you should go 6.5. Yeah the 308 will teach you better fundamentals and call you on your mistakes. But the efficiency really can't be put aside to go with a 308. If you want a shorter barrel you can get a Smith to cut and crown, thread the muzzle for you easy enough.

For the ammo. Seems like all ammo is hard to find. 6.5 factory ammo is very very accurate it seemed. Didn't matter what box I bought. It shot it 1 moa or tighter. So if you find factory ammo just buy what you can afford.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:55 PM

I have shot both extensivly, and like both .
My advice is to pick the one you want and learn how to shoot the wind propely, because somewhere down the road somebody is going to make you look real bad shooting the one you didn't pick! Long range shooting depends a lot more than on how well you can shoot, not what you are shooting. learn as much as you can, listen to accomplished long range shooters and competitors and have fun with it!
Cat
Old 06-20-2022, 10:24 PM

Some questions that need answering first:

Do you want to hunt with it? Think seriously, because guys develop a lot of confidence in their 12-14 lb range toys and regret it 3 miles in.

Are you talking about matches (rules to be followed), or diy plinking?

How far can you shoot on a regular basis? And what are your expectations? While you can lob 308 a very long ways, at some point (I’m not going to name a distance because that will start an argument) you will get screwed by the wind beyond what you can consistently call/learn from.

For example, I was shooting next to some very accomplished shooters, who were running 223 short barrel semi customs. They were having fits with the gusting crosswinds, buckshot looking groups. I shot within 1 inch of POA with my 7. I am not better than those guys, that’s all gun.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:54 AM

I'd go 6.5 every time, if for nothing else, the lighter recoil.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:58 AM

I had a gen 1 in 6.5
Insanely accurate. But I reload, which is the way to go if your getting into it.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:00 AM

To put things in perspective, there was a F/TR shooter
recently who won the Grand Agg. Atthe Provinials at Nokomis Sask.
He was shooting a 308, and even beat the F/O guys not only for the Agg. But the high VBull count as well.
Nokomis is not a forgiving g range to begin with. And winning the agg with an F/TR against F/O shooters is very irregular but it can be done .
Thise F/O guys would be shooting high BC bullets and cartridges that on paper really make the 308 look sad.
It is NOT all about the gun or shooter when the chips ate down, one cannot buy accuracy when the wind starts blowing! Ya gotta remember to have fun.....
Cat
Old 06-21-2022, 10:29 AM

Seems like in the last year, the 30cal components may be easier to acquire than 6.5 stuff, at least for Berger bullets anyway.