Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2022, 11:35 AM

Arrowed a bear walking straight into me at 11 yards a decade ago. Never found the arrow...complete pass through with a 62# bow, 3 blade 1-1/8" wide replaceable blade broadhead, 385 gr arrow weight. Bear went about 35 yds straight down a steep slope and was piled up under a log. Prefer broadside but this +19" P&Y bear just kept walking in...and knew I was there. I was on my knees in the alders on the the old steep fire road and he was going to check me out. Shot him square in the chest as his head was up looking at me. He let out a loud "OOUUFF" when the arrow hit but bailed off the trail rather than charge..
Old 06-21-2022, 09:28 AM

At very close range most heavy duty rifles rip a very large hole in most animals including bears. However just as Bella did in Slave Lake, a well place head shot even with a 22 will do the job. I like Deans pumpkin practise recommendation, 3 head shots better than one, even Bella Twin realized need for more followup shots on largest grizz shot in Alberta.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 06-21-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:06 PM

I've shot a couple bears straight on. One was a charge and I was lucky enough to hit the sow right beside the eye and kill her on the spot. I was just holding on fur and praying at the time.

Second one was a large boar grizzly. It was sitting on a bank on his rear end looking at me. It was a close shot, maybe 75 yards. The body was directly inline with my plane of site and I had a good rest on a tree. I aimed just below the chin at the base of the neck where it meets the sternum. Bear did a back flip at the shot trying to bite at the exit wound and then bolted. He made it about 100 yards.

I don't think I would aim for a head shot intentionally on a black bear for the skull/trophy aspect. I would probably wait for a better shot or pass unless I was thinking I was going to get chewed on I guess. The brain is a pretty small target.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:33 PM

Shot this one at about 7 yards from the ground almost head on.
Dead in 10 seconds.
full-13070-63104-20200927_110103.jpg
Old 06-22-2022, 07:34 PM

Shot this one at about 7 yards from the ground almost head on.
Dead in 10 seconds.
Attachment 180223
Arrow was almost buried.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:20 AM

Default Wow - thanks for all the feedback!

Well I have to say that I am very impressed with the amount of input on this topic! Thank you everyone!

I made the post and then got crazy busy with work so I haven't had a chance to pop back in here and comment.

This was a very educational thread for me, and definitely made me realize that I had never really carefully looked at the anatomy from a head on position. Such great points about the head being down while walking a lot of the time, and that definitely doesn't leave much of a target from a head on position.

In both of the situations that we have had this happen, my buddy was down on his chest the first time (with the bear walking towards him) and the recent time he was crouched down ready for a shot (expecting a broadside or quartering shot) but when the bear was finally visible he was totally head on and coming steady (although not in a charge or anything at that point).

So from a slightly lower position I suppose that would alter the angles a little bit, but I think after reading these posts and looking at the images, there's a good chance the bullet went lower than it should have - potentially in both situations. (My buddy was the trigger man on both shots, so I can't say 100% where the crosshairs were aiming).

This was very helpful though, so thank you to everyone for your contribution on this.

Having watched several Mark Sullivan videos of charging hippos and buffalo, I completely understand the thoughts that a head shot definitely has its place in dangerous situations! (Although Mark Sullivan is of course an extreme example!) The story on here of the Grizz getting shot and then still hammering across the river really sums up some of the risk of chasing anything in bear country though too!

Thanks again. I definitely feel a bit more educated after this.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Bella in Slave Lake endorses this narrative. .22 is lots of gun.

And according to my brother if a man is carrying a Leatherman he needs fear nothing. I'm waiting to get a call one day that he's been tragically dismantled.
Bella Twin was squirriing at the time, had spotted the approching Bear and climbed a tree just before the actual encounter. She had her .22 with her..( on a sling made of Binder twine} The Bear approached the tree, stood up against it and presented a shot to the side of it's head.. Bella took the broadside shot ,hittnig it behind the left eye .The Bear dropped immediately, offering a number of additional shots which she placed in the same area. Apparently the Bear had expired with the lengendary first shot.

That's the description I got from a family member at the time of the incident.
I think it's pretty accurate.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:34 AM

A number of different versions of Bella story over the years. The most accurate one I read was hunting grouse and rabbits. Grizz came walking down the seismic line. she hid behind brush pile on line and when bear appeared she nailed it in side of head with 22 longs. ( No one hunts squirrels in the spring)
Old 06-27-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
A number of different versions of Bella story over the years. The most accurate one I read was hunting grouse and rabbits. Grizz came walking down the seismic line. she hid behind brush pile on line and when bear appeared she nailed it in side of head with 22 longs. ( No one hunts squirrels in the spring)

Thats exactly how I heard it as well. Grouse hunting with some dude. Backed up into the bush and shot.

Bella's got/had bigger ones than me.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Bella Twin was squirriing at the time, had spotted the approching Bear and climbed a tree just before the actual encounter. She had her .22 with her..( on a sling made of Binder twine} The Bear approached the tree, stood up against it and presented a shot to the side of it's head.. Bella took the broadside shot ,hittnig it behind the left eye .The Bear dropped immediately, offering a number of additional shots which she placed in the same area. Apparently the Bear had expired with the lengendary first shot.

That's the description I got from a family member at the time of the incident.
I think it's pretty accurate.
I wasn't one of my family members that described the encounter . It was one of hers. Probably more truth to it than some of the other decriptions floating around.... but who knows for sure ?