Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2022, 07:56 AM

Default What's the best Fly Fishing Wagon

I've got a big old North American truck but fuel prices are sort of a wet blanket on my fishing addiction. Thinking about an older AWD station wagon. Interested in experiences around reliability and fuel economy. Have been sort of gravitating towards a Volvo or maybe a Honda CRV.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:35 PM

Well my Jeep liberty does what ever i like, great on gas, and lots of juice if i need to pass anyone
Old 06-23-2022, 05:51 PM

It probably depends on a few things, like your age, whether you haul anything, whether you fish lakes, rivers or both and how far from the main roads you want to go. The Corolla is a dominant, primordial beast! Ok, always wanted to say that; I think it's from The Call of the Wild or White Fang.

I live in the Edmonton area and fish lakes and rivers. The Outcast pontoon boat fits in a boat bag across the back seat and the rest of my gear goes into the trunk. FYI, the car can also hold two of these (the second boat not in a bag but in pieces in the trunk) if two of us want to float a river. If I want to get my butt kicked for an evening, I'll put the float tube in either the back seat or the trunk and head to Muir. In July and August, I leave the lakes alone (except mountain lakes) and fish rivers. So, just my gear and cooler, etc. The Yoda has been up and down the FTR. I watch the weather. If I'm heading for a lake or stream and I know the road may be sh*t because of recent rains, I go somewhere else. The Yoda was getting 5.6 L/100 kms when new. I don't keep track of it anymore but it's somewhere over 40 mpg.

Having said all that, at 60 now, I think this will be my last car. Moving on up to the RAV when I can gift the Corolla to my nephew in 5 years. I gifted my first Corolla to a different nephew in 2014. I read on another thread recently "someone is going to have to pry the steering wheel of my Corolla out of my dead hands". My first thought was "you mean there are two of us? On an outdoor forum?"

My gal said it best in 2014 when deciding on another car or midsize SUV: "get the car; rent an SUV when you need one". That's what I did. I've rented an SUV twice in 8 years.

So, it depends on a lot of things.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:09 PM

Default yup

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee v6, get about 26 mpg hwy and 15 city. Obviously it can go almost anywhere due to awd, all-weather tires, etc.... but it also doubles as a hotel. I fold down the back seats and put a foamy/sleeping bag in there and I'm comfy as a bug in a rug....nothing like waking up in the morning and looking out over the lake whilst still in my pyjamas....
Old 06-23-2022, 08:36 PM
Banned

A truck
Old 06-23-2022, 11:05 PM

Santa Fe
Old 06-24-2022, 07:49 AM

My best ever unit.Was a GMC Tracker[Susuki],great 4x4 40 mpg Sadly they're not made anymore.Or imported here.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:56 PM

I’ve got a 94 pathfinder. It’s better on fuel than my pickup and as far as 4x4s go they’re pretty hard to beat
Old 06-25-2022, 09:04 AM

Tacoma is tough on gas. Early 20’s mpg.

Don