Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 03:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Default I am so going to regret this, but here goes... Reloading! What does one require?

Hey all!

As the title says, I am going to regret asking this as I need another expensive accumulation of things like I need a hole in the head!

Seriously though... I am finding it a bit overwhelming trying to research on my own, so I figured I would ask you all here as you have always done a great job in helping me find ways to spend money somewhat wisely.

What does one realistically need to functionally get into reloading? Not looking for junk just because cheap recommendations, but at the same time not wanting to waste a bunch of money on something that is 0.01% better than something else that is half the cost.

Also, where does one learn to do this? Is it all just experience and wisdom passed down by elders or is there some good online in person class/resource that is worth investigating?

Cheers!

Bob
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-24-2022, 03:34 PM
Gone Hunting

You should specify what reloading you have in mind.
Shotshells for targets?
Steel for waterfowl?
Rifle? Calibers.
Handguns?

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

Last edited by Andrzej; 06-24-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:37 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
You should specify what reloading you have in mind.
Shotshells for targets ?
Steel for waterfowl?
Rifle? Calibers.
Rifle and pistols... So far I have a 30.06 and for handgun loads .45ACP and 9MM. It will certainly be expanded upon though I am sure.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-24-2022, 03:43 PM

You will not regret it Bob. I was contemplating it 5 months ago and I made the decision to do it. Bought the lee anniversary kit for $250 (I think) and it has been very productive for me. There’s a couple other things that the pros will point out to you of course.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:44 PM

Bob hasn't fallen down enough bottomless rabbit holes lately, so needs to joyfully and with complete abandon heave himself down another one....

You forgot to mention loading for .357 magnum Bobby. You still absolutely must get one before you can't.

I must say though, I find your enthusiasm entertaining. More so then Jenn does, I'm sure...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-24-2022, 03:51 PM

Hey Bob,

If you are talking centerfire rifle then check out "Panhandle Precision" on Youtube. He lays out reloading in a very easy to absorb manner and covers just about every aspect of precision reloading. As far as tooling, you will need the following:

-Press (Forster Co-Ax is highly regarded but also check out the MEC Marksmen or RCBS Rockchucker Supreme)
-Dies (There are many ways to skin a cat with die setups, but start out basic with a 2 piece die set ie. full length sizing die and seating die)
-Calipers (accuracy down to 0.001 will do)
-Scale (a simple balance beam from Lee or RCBS will be hard to beat for accuracy, though they are slower. I personally haven't had great luck with digital scales but if you want digital, grab an RCBS chargemaster and be done)

That would get you started, but there are a ton of extras that just start to make life easier. A powder throw if you dont go with the Chargemaster, a reloading block to keep things organized, a hand priming tool if your press doesnt have a priming function (I really like the Frankford Arsenal handheld), case trimmer, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, bullet puller, case tumbler, bullet comparator set, headspace gauge and probably most important of all a reloading manual and notebook.

I am sure I'm forgetting a thing or two but that is the bulk of it. Good luck and stay safe! If you find primers for a decent price, let us know!
Brett.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:55 PM

No doubt you will get a list of the basics so I will offer opinion regarding a few of my personal preferences. Regarding dies for each cartridge - a single FL sizer die that utilizes a bushing to control neck size and a single in-line seater die. No kits for me. I prefer Redding for the resizer die and Wilson for the in-line seater.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

For starters, you need a reloading press.
I have RCBS Rockchuker for all my rifles for the last 30 y or so. This is a single-stage press, good for all calibers I only change dies for different calibers.
I don't have pistols/handguns but if you shoot lots of those then turret press would be better. It is a multistage press performing different functions at the same time.
You need 30-06 dies, a tumbler if you shoot lots to clean brass.
The chronograph is nice to have,
Powder scale, chamfering tool, caliper.

If you don't shoot lots it seems like buying factory ammo is less trouble those days or get your friend doing this for you. I am reloading for 3-4 of those.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

Last edited by Andrzej; 06-24-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:21 PM

I suggest you find someone you know and respect that is also a reloader. Then go reload some with them. Then you will get a feel for what is what and take it from there. You can go way down a rabbit hole, or just get the basics. It’s not rocket science. I’m a believer that more trigger time is more beneficial then next turning and such. Being consistent is key. You’ll find your groove. I would be open to showing you what I know but I’m pretty sure I’m a bit of a drive.

PS, a Rock Chucker kit kinda reloader but they shoot straight
Old 06-24-2022, 04:25 PM

My shortlist for the “press” requires one that has a minimum of “slop” when the ram is in the “up” position. Try before you buy.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:30 PM
AO Sponsor

Awesome, thanks for the many quick replies!

So a few things...

Andrzej - Factory ammo would be simpler I think but I am actually finding myself quite fascinated by the science of it all. I could see myself wanting to experiment purely from a knowledge and experience standpoint. I am someone who does a lot of stuff simply to learn even if it is not always practical.

260 Rem - Am I reading this right that you are saying get "a single FL sizer die that utilizes a bushing to control neck size and a single in-line seater die" for each calibre as needed rather than a kit that I would assume have more generic sized items? Sorry that may sound like the most newbie question ever, but I am absolutely a super newb here haha!

Ram94 - Lots of info for me to research, thanks!

Twisted Canuck - I just blame you and my wife so far seems to accept that, so no point in changing tactics yet! haha!

Actually, another question, how much space am I going to realitically need for a set up? Does a normal size computer desk give enough room or am I needing to make a new workbench somewhere?
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 06-24-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Actually, another question, how much space am I going to realitically need for a set up? Does a normal size computer desk give enough room or am I needing to make a new workbench somewhere?
A bench the size of a computer desk would work, but a 8’ or Nice L shape is my preferred. Bench has to be stiff for the press. You need some good overhead storage too. Keep the bench clean and stay consistent. One very important step for me is to always check all powder charges at once prior to seating, but that’s getting ahead of what bench lol

I used a big old oak office desk for years, worked awesome. Didn’t feel like moving it so built one when I moved. Pay attention to height for how you want to work. ie, high seating, lower chair, standing etc

There was a good thread on here a few years back on builds
Old 06-24-2022, 04:38 PM

Sure, my friends have been blaming me for stuff for a long time. As long as your wife believes that, i'm ok with it too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-24-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:43 PM

ABC’s of reloading book is a great starter book
Old 06-24-2022, 05:06 PM

Best place to start is to find a buddy with a bench and setup and have him show you how he does it . And you can go from there as to what you would need for your own setup . Pretty sure there is no short supply of guys that could help you out there .
Old 06-24-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Hey all!

As the title says, I am going to regret asking this as I need another expensive accumulation of things like I need a hole in the head!

Bob
Avoid taking up sheep hunting then. Now that gets expensive!
Old 06-24-2022, 05:13 PM

If you are going to shoot 45 and 9mm quite a bit you will probably want a progressive press as doing 500 rounds at a time on a single stage press would get real old in a Hurry. As far as space is required it’s nice having a dedicated room for all your gun safes even if it means getting the kids bunk beds to turn a bedroom into a gun room.

When I started out I bought the Rock chucker supreme reloading kit from Cabelas. It came with pretty much everything with the exception of dies and components. After getting my press set up I called a buddy to come and give me some lessons.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:34 PM

All you really need is reloading gear for a 6.5 Grendel. Experts agree that it is the finest hunting cartridge ever conceived. And they practically load themselves.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:44 PM

You need a solid/ stable bench, either heavy, or secured to a wall or floor, it can't move around when you are trying to weigh powder to 1/10 of a grain. Of course you need a press and dies, and a good scale, and you also need a case trimmer, as cases will grow, and they need to be trimmed. I prefer a hand primer, and I use the RCBS Universal Hand Priming tool, as it is smooth, strong, and it doesn't require shell holders. I use an RCBS Rockchucker press, that I have had for over 40 years now, and the tolerances are likely tighter than a brand new one made today. If you end up this way again in the near future, I can run you through the basics of loading bottleneck cases, but I no longer load for straight wall cases.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Avoid taking up sheep hunting then. Now that gets expensive!

You wine and dine them first huh?
Old 06-24-2022, 06:14 PM

Bob

Send me your email on a pm and i will photograph my stuff and send it to you

I have a simple but effective set up.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Hey all!

Seriously though... I am finding it a bit overwhelming trying to research on my own, so I figured I would ask you all here as you have always done a great job in helping me find ways to spend money somewhat wisely.

What does one realistically need to functionally get into reloading? Not looking for junk just because cheap recommendations, but at the same time not wanting to waste a bunch of money on something that is 0.01% better than something else that is half the cost.

Also, where does one learn to do this? Is it all just experience and wisdom passed down by elders or is there some good online in person class/resource that is worth investigating?

Cheers!

Bob
My .02 w/o reading the previous input is a Forester co-axial press... I have had most of the high end dies and and you can spend a lot of $$$ for limited gains beyond a lee deluxe set ... that said, I use mostly redding dies with the lee collet and crimp dies...I have a back up for each calibre as the lee deluxe die set... down the rabbit hole you go...say hello to ALice 4me
Old 06-24-2022, 06:32 PM

Get an auto charge for your powder. It's a game changer, I would carefully hand weigh everything and it's was good but took forever. Now I can easily reload and really fast!
Old 06-24-2022, 06:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You need a solid/ stable bench, either heavy, or secured to a wall or floor, it can't move around when you are trying to weigh powder to 1/10 of a grain. Of course you need a press and dies, and a good scale, and you also need a case trimmer, as cases will grow, and they need to be trimmed. I prefer a hand primer, and I use the RCBS Universal Hand Priming tool, as it is smooth, strong, and it doesn't require shell holders. I use an RCBS Rockchucker press, that I have had for over 40 years now, and the tolerances are likely tighter than a brand new one made today. If you end up this way again in the near future, I can run you through the basics of loading bottleneck cases, but I no longer load for straight wall cases.
I might just take you up on that Elk! Much appreciated!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 06-24-2022, 06:40 PM

Find someone close by who is set up and spend an evening with them. I'd be willing to show you the ropes but I think you can find someone closer...I would suggest you see the process and such before you invest $$.. its not everyones cup of tea. I can send you pics of my set up if your interested.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:03 PM

I went with RCBS and have had great success. They have an amazing warranty. I find like with all other things it becomes a matter of personal preference. The basic equipment is the same. I for one did not like auto tricklers and sold my charge master pretty quick. I like the slower process of dropping a charge and hand trickling to exact weight on each round. Lots of trial and error to find the equipment and process that worked for me. Competition dies I like. I want my brass shiny and new looking so I use SS pins. A case prep center is handy as heck. Quality calipers is a must and comparator set. I use a separate press for depriming to keep my reloading press cleaner. Get a few manuals and a journal to log everything you do!!! Lots of great info on youtube. I did not have a mentor but was able to figure it out in time. No regrets here!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 06-24-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Bob

Send me your email on a pm and i will photograph my stuff and send it to you

I have a simple but effective set up.
So it begins, he wants to send you a pic of his stuff

Simple but effective lol
Old 06-24-2022, 07:43 PM

I would be on the lookout for a dillon 550 press. you can use it like a single station press or as a progressive unit for high volume pistol ammo. the other, more unfortunate fact is that reloading components are scarce now and may not improve for a year or two. try to buy some primers and powder, then go out and buy a press.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:

260 Rem - Am I reading this right that you are saying get "a single FL sizer die that utilizes a bushing to control neck size and a single in-line seater die" for each calibre as needed rather than a kit that I would assume have more generic sized items? Sorry that may sound like the most newbie question ever, but I am absolutely a super newb here haha!
?
Yes, if possible purchase only the FL sizer die rather than a “set” that also might include a Neck Die and a seater. The NK die is not necessary as you are FL sizing. Some may argue that NK sizing offers an advantage as it theoretically might be a better chamber fit? The seater dies that are included with combination sets are typically not the “in-line” design that have a good track record.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Yes, if possible purchase only the FL sizer die rather than a “set” that also might include a Neck Die and a seater. The NK die is not necessary as you are FL sizing. Some may argue that NK sizing offers an advantage as it theoretically might be a better chamber fit? The seater dies that are included with combination sets are typically not the “in-line” design that have a good track record.
not picking a fight here, but......if you are using your brass over and over in the same rifle, isn't it better to just resize the neck instead of working your whole case every time? i was throwing out a fair bit of 22-250 brass when full length resizing, and it seems to last longer since i started just resizing the neck. what say you guys who do lots of reloading?