Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-27-2022, 06:36 AM

Unfortunately you beat me to it. I haven’t read through this, but I was going to say, all you need is money. I can do the rest.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:09 AM

the 3 main primer manufacturer said there won't be any available before the end of 2023, so now is not the time to get into handloading
Old 06-29-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Very solid level bench.
Proper height to allow you to be comfortable.
Good light
Space where you can be organized and not distracted.
Good functioning callipers
Primer pocket tools that are comfortable to use
A dental pick or two
I love my electronic scale ( let them warm up for 5 min then calibrate/check )
Hand primer device ( way speedier than using the press )
Watch YouTube find a mentor and develop your own system. I like to do everything in stages. Tumble if needed/resize/primer pockets/trim if needed chamfer deburr/ primers. I load funny though..I weigh every charge and then seat the bullet.
Add or delete stages as you see fit. I never leave any stage until it is done.
Only have one powder out at a time.
A decent note book for load data
Any and all of the manuals load Data you can find
A list of components that I need And PRICES in my phone helps when you think you have found a “deal”.

Reloading is a great hobby. You can sink a pile of $ into it or keep it relatively basic. You have enough info to get a good start. If you are ever in Edmonton I would be happy to show my little corner of the basement and go through things with you.

PM if you have any questions or get stumped.

If you find stuff you need up here let me know and we can try to work a plan o out to get it to you.
I didn't read every post, but I would have typed something like this^ too. Unless it's been covered off in a post I didn't see, I think one of the main things to decide on is volume. If wanting to load/shoot tons of pistol rounds (for example) a single-stage press might be the least expensive option...but worst choice. Every bit as effective, arguably more consistent/accurate depending who you ask...but you will find it pretty tedious. If like me, you're loading for rifle/hunting/some target stuff....precision counts, high volume does not. I have an RCBS "Partner" press which was meant to be a temporary move until I knew I wanted to pursue reloading...but a decade later, it's still all I use. I've used it on calibers up to .243 without issue, but admittedly...the Rock Chucker would be a better choice. I mostly use RCBS dies too.

Tools are one area where you really get what you pay for, but I bought my press used ($100) and have had zero issues with it. Basically, you can get your feet wet with a pretty basic set-up, but I think a good electric scale/trickler is key, as is a good case trimmer. All of it is, but it depends a bit on expectations, what you're after consistency-wise, etc. Consistency is key, as is tracking your results.

Whether it's case prep, powder charges, primers, seating bullets, whatever..you'll soon realize what part(s) of the process you like the least, and equip yourself with that in mind. For me, weighing powder is the biggest bottle neck, and the part I obsess about the most. I've basically decided I need an electric powder measure to clear this bottle neck, just in "save" mode at the moment while I recover from some other recent purchases. This is the one I've settled on;

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10177...powder-measure

Great hobby, in spite of the timing of getting into it. (=component costs these days) Fortunately, I did stock-up a little on the powders I used most a few years ago, and bought a few boxes of primers the other day to top-up the existing supply. I haven't done the math on reload cost vs. purchasing ammo as I'm not sure I'd like the answer, but I load for consistency/convenience anyway.