Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 09:18 PM

Default Finnlight in 22-250

Bought one new to me off a fine AO gentleman. Man, this thing is fun to shoot. I do find the barrel warms up quick though. Any thoughts?? TIA

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-26-2022, 09:39 PM

In my opinion the 22-250 is the greatest coyote cartridge there is. Put a good quality medium power scope on it and you can whack coyotes way out there. I have mine zeroed at 300 and use a 50gr vmax with a healthy dose of varget. Try to shoot them through the ribs if you want to save the hide.

As far as using it for target shooting they heat up too much. If I shoot 5 rounds I will let it cool to ambient before I shoot again.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:43 PM

Sadly that's the nature of the beast when running a speed demon like the 22-250. On a coyote hunt you won't have much issue and if you do you you should give me a call
If you are wanting to plink or shoot gophers I have used blue dot to some success. Google up "blue dot 22-250 loads" and you will find some posted loads by a guy who did quite a bit of testing. Can get loads all the way down to 2000fps which don't heat up barrels bad at all.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-26-2022, 09:55 PM
Banned

Depending on your twist rate you could probably slow it down with some heavier bullets
Old 06-26-2022, 10:05 PM

I’m pretty sure the Sako twist rates are the same as the Tikkas and mine is 1:14”. Probably won’t be able to stabilize much heavier than 55 gr.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’m pretty sure the Sako twist rates are the same as the Tikkas and mine is 1:14”. Probably won’t be able to stabilize much heavier than 55 gr.
Boooo
Mach 10 it is then lol
Old 06-27-2022, 08:49 AM
Banned

one shot at a time and try to keep it as low a round count as i can. don't want to have to replace the barrel, so exclusively dogs and try not to miss! 52 gr. amax and 36 gr of imr4895.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I really like the caliber. I was shooting a WB Forester with the heavy barrel before this one, but it grew legs. I'm really liking this Finnlight, short, light & easy to pick the target.

I had a couple 'yotes sneaking through the crop towards my cats. Crop almost covers them. Number 2 actually gives me the first clean look, boom, down. Took two quick shots at number 1( Probably marginal), missed him, but was just a bit surprised how warm the barrel was.

Seemed like I should have got the other one, had to be a warm barrel..........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King