Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 AM

Default Buffalo Lake advice

Hey all,

Heading out to Buffalo lake with family and friends for the last camping trip before kiddos are back in school...just looking for any words of advice regarding the fishing...Looks to be only pike and burbot for catch and keep...anything else in there worth fishing for (and releasing obviously)? We will have our little 12' tinny too, so can get out deeper if need be. And as far as the burbot...never eaten one, are they any good? Thanks in advance, cheers!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:27 PM

Burbot are good eating threw the ice, dunno about the quality of meat during the summer like this.

They are also notoriously hard to find during the summer. If you want to target burbot in the summer, I suggest going deep and fishing the bottom with a smelt on a slip-sink rig or any type of bottom fishing rig.

As for pike, they are pretty easy to catch in Buffalo. Be sure to check your regs as certain parts of Buffalo you are not allowed to keep pike. I believe there is actually a 0 limit for the area called "the Narrows".

Size 0 len Thompson red devil spoon should be non-stop pike action. Don't need to go deep for the pike there just fish the edges of weed beds. A buzzbait or weedless bass-style spinner bait would be an effective set up as well if you get tired of pulling weeds off your hook.

Hope this helps, good luck and tight lines!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:30 AM

Default thanks

Great, thanks...and yes you are correct, 0 limit in the "narrows". Not sure we'll be keeping any anyways...just fun to get the kids out casting, cheers, and thanks again.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:11 PM

I too was also interested in fishing there this September. Are there certain parts of the lake, or depths the pike hang out this time of year? Which bay should I try, the big East one, or smaller west one. Also which is a good boat launch to go to? And are there any prop killers to look out for? Thanks in advance, Rob.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-R-Huntin View Post
I too was also interested in fishing there this September. Are there certain parts of the lake, or depths the pike hang out this time of year? Which bay should I try, the big East one, or smaller west one. Also which is a good boat launch to go to? And are there any prop killers to look out for? Thanks in advance, Rob.
Better luck fishing on the West side near the narrows. Or near Rochan Sands. Boat launches are plentiful, smaller boats at the narrows, big boats at Rochan. I've unloaded a 16 ft aluminum at the narrows. In front of White Sands there is a rock island. Right in the shallow SE corner there are some boulders but shallow there. And the odd few near in that big west bay near ol mcdonalds. Shallow over there.