Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 AM

Default .358 Winchester - a few questions

Hi, I have only recently become aware of this cartridge and it seems to do much of what I would want it to. Was thinking of getting a BLR in it, but I think Winchester produces 200 gr shells (I am not a reloader currently). Down to my questions:
1. For the people who have/had a .358, what has your experience been?
2. Are the other people/companies in Canada that reload it/that I could buy?
3. I see there are small US companies that load it, anyone ever tried to buy some (or is it even legal these days?).
4. If I did get into reloading, how much would it all cost and how much would I save compared to factory ammo?

My thanks once again to the wisdom and experience that peruses this forum.

Cheers,

HSK
Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 AM

1. 1 bear, 55yds, 225gr Sierra, 1 moose 35 yd, 200gr Hornady SP, 2 deer 60yds, 45yds, 200gr Hornady SP. (Pre 81 Browning BLR)

Have yet to recover a single bullet.

On chest shots you can eat up to the bullet hole.

2. No.

3. NRCAN wont certify the ammo, so it cant be sold commercially.

4. Lee Aniversary kits are ~$150.00, dies are ~$45.00, a few other items ~$60, 2 Manuals $60~ Bullets ~$30-$45/100, Powder ~$40/lb, Primers ~$5/100, Brass ~$25/50(308's) lets see that's $430.00 right there +or-.

It is never a $ issue, you will shoot to what your budget will allow, reloading gets you shooting more that's all. Reinvestment of the equiptment may take a while, but 358 ammo comes in spurts and dribbles, with the reloading gear at least you can always make some.

And BTW reloading is a hobby/passion second to none IMHO.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-28-2009, 06:18 PM
sheephunter

If factory ammo is important...you could get a .338 Federal instead.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If factory ammo is important...you could get a .338 Federal instead.
X2!
factory 358 has always been a bit difficult to obtain, and I have always had to hand load empties for a the few friends that shoot them.
Fine cartridge however.....
Cat
Old 12-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

Don't know for sure why the .358win never caught on. It's the kin to the .35 Whelen. Necked up .308 to 35 cal like the '06 is necked up to 35 cal. Browning offers it in the BLR as it does the 450 Marlin. Those two are about the only two worthwhile calibers I see as a decent offering in that sissy gun. As I told a very good friend of mine, why go with a caliber that you already own in a bolt gun? Go with a Marlin .444 and be happy ever after.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 PM

i love the caliber.when you shoot something with it they drop like they were struck by lightning.the first rifle i chambered for myself was the 358 win...funny all the rest have been changed except that one! it just works.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 PM

Default Maybe a 358, maybe not

Thanks for the thoughts and insight gentlemen. Based on your comments, perhaps I should provide more info/expand my potential options horizon.

I am looking for a relatively light/short gun to use both in Alberta (WT/Muley, Elk up to ~200yds and perhaps a hope if I in the wrong place/wrong time re: me being lunch) and Ontario (Whitetails, in heavy brush usually <75yds, with capability of quick follow up shots).

The best solution of course would be to buy 2 different ones But if I don't get workin' again soon, I will be buying nothing Tried Browning semi's but just don't like the balance, even if very good guns. Like Marlin levers but seem to like the BLR more. Have a couple of remington pumps
(35/308) but want to try a lever.

30-06 is an obvious choice and have thought about .308 Seem to have a preference for bigger/slower (older?) w/ hopefully less recoil and trying to stay away from a magnum for this one. Have a 7mm Rem Mag bolt but looking to expand the arsenal.

Thanks, cheers and happy new year!

HSK
Old 12-31-2009, 01:36 AM

I never did like the 338 Federal, but that was because of the comparisons to the 338 win mag when it came out. Not even the same. But now that I look at it without all the hype it is an easy round to shoot and get brass for(308). I had a 35 Whelen and liked it but I wanted more range with big bullets. Looking back it was a nice light hard hitting gun and I'm sure a 358win would do the same. If you get working enough to get a BLR then you will like it. A 1.5-5x scope looks perfect on one. Its nice to have these problems isn't it?

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 AM
sheephunter

If you are leaning toward a BLR and are worried about ammo for the 358Win....why not a .325WSM? Yes it's a magnum but within your parametres there aren't many options.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 PM

Didn't Winchester make the 88 in .358?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 PM

Default 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
Didn't Winchester make the 88 in .358?
Yes, they did.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill 60 Kid View Post
I am looking for a relatively light/short gun to use both in Alberta (WT/Muley, Elk up to ~200yds and perhaps a hope if I in the wrong place/wrong time re: me being lunch) and Ontario (Whitetails, in heavy brush usually <75yds, with capability of quick follow up shots).

Tried Browning semi's but just don't like the balance, even if very good guns. Like Marlin levers but seem to like the BLR more. Have a couple of remington pumps
(35/308) but want to try a lever.

30-06 is an obvious choice and have thought about .308 Seem to have a preference for bigger/slower (older?) w/ hopefully less recoil and trying to stay away from a magnum for this one. Have a 7mm Rem Mag bolt but looking to expand the arsenal.
HSK
The best choice that I can tell from your want list is a (in a marlin 336) 35 remington - 200 yard range. There are enough around if you want get one used (for cheap) and there is good ammo availability. Recoil is less than a 308.

There is also the marlin 375 winchester, I have one, they have a smooth action and its not hard to engage/disengage past the hammer on follow up shots unlike some winchester levers. IMO its much better than my 30-30 winchester. Recoil is mild, less than a 308, it balances good, its a compact rifle. Some of the things going against it are cost of ammo ($50 per box), availability (outside of Calgary/Edmonton), and types of loads available.
The only one I came across was a 200 grain load for deer.

They also have the 308 marlin express and 338 marlin express - don't know if they'll survive, overall I would choose the 35 remington cause it will always be around.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 PM

Default bush gun

sounds to me like you want a good bush gun that will take a bear if you have too.
my 35 rem in the 336 marlin model has never let me down yet, fast ,short barrel, no hang -up on the lever, i just love it and it puts 200grns. where i want them to go.
the 339 marlin comes in some fine calibers(444,45-70 ETC) that will throw big lead rather fast with the hornady leverlution bullets if thats what you are looking for .
good luck with you search and if i ever move back to ont. you will see the deer start cryin, again cause the ol, 35 will be going to work.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
sounds to me like you want a good bush gun that will take a bear if you have too.
my 35 rem in the 336 marlin model has never let me down yet, fast ,short barrel, no hang -up on the lever, i just love it and it puts 200grns. where i want them to go.
the 339 marlin comes in some fine calibers(444,45-70 ETC) that will throw big lead rather fast with the hornady leverlution bullets if thats what you are looking for .
good luck with you search and if i ever move back to ont. you will see the deer start cryin, again cause the ol, 35 will be going to work.
sound advice.until you see something shot with a 35 cal. and up its hard to comprehend.there isnt anything on this continent i wouldnt tackle with my 358 win.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:51 PM

Good suggestions - I think you guys are reading my mind a little. I quite like the 35 Rem and in fact have laid down quite a few deer with it back in Ont. Helluva' gun and cartridge for that application. The sizing of a particularly old pump 35 Rem I have leads me to find something else. And yes, I had noticed Marlin has a nice one in a 35 too. You guys ever try it on Elk?

Thought the .358 @ 200 grains would cover whitetails easily in Ont but also could use for muleys/elk out here with ability to go to 250 grains. Of course I am realizing that unless I can find a friend with a passion for reloading it or nuture my own, I will have to use Winchester's 200 gr....or find another calibre/gun I guess.

Cheers,

HSK