Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 PM

Default 19-223 Calhoon

Anyone have real world experience with a 19-223 Calhoon?Their website shows nice flat trajectory but pretty bad wind drift.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 PM

Might be a chore to find bullets.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 PM

Default calhoon

i have the 19 done on the hornet case and it will travel with me to my grave. A fabulous round, excellent wildcat design. i bought a few thousand bullets for mine when I first got it and the big gun show guy In saskatchewan can get the calhoon bullets any time. Raynor shine is his name. another friend of mine had the one done on 30 carbine and he loved his as well.
One of the nice things about buying a calhoon rifle as you don't have to mess with componants as he has figured out all of the load data for you. his barrels are all personally inspected and some get sent back. I love mine, but mine isn't the same model you are looking for. calhoon has been making 19 cal. stuff for quite some time, most all of it very good quality. FS
Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Might be a chore to find bullets.
Might not...FS
Old 01-20-2015, 01:26 AM
Gone Hunting

A friend of mine got one for coyotes. Used it one season and sold it. Tough to use in the wind.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
i have the 19 done on the hornet case and it will travel with me to my grave. A fabulous round, excellent wildcat design. i bought a few thousand bullets for mine when I first got it and the big gun show guy In saskatchewan can get the calhoon bullets any time. Raynor shine is his name. another friend of mine had the one done on 30 carbine and he loved his as well.
One of the nice things about buying a calhoon rifle as you don't have to mess with componants as he has figured out all of the load data for you. his barrels are all personally inspected and some get sent back. I love mine, but mine isn't the same model you are looking for. calhoon has been making 19 cal. stuff for quite some time, most all of it very good quality. FS
Very interesting. FS~is the 19 Hornet the one simply called "19 Calhoon?" I read over his site a few weeks ago and off the offerings that seemed most familiar with the way I'm set up WAS the 19-223. I've also bought from Raynor...didn't know he dealt in .19 cal. I shoot .223 and .204R so I'm maybe TOO covered-off in varmint calibers...but the Calhoon site makes for an interesting read.

If you don't mind me asking, did you re-barrel a gun you had...or buy one of Calhoon's rifles? A CZ in .19 would be a pretty sweet varmint gun, been thinking about it for a while.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM

Default 19-223 Calhoon

I was thinking about ordering one of the cz's.Iwanted some real world advise because of the wind drift tables on Calhoon's site.The way the wind blows some days in northern i wasn't sure this was the road to travel.Thanks for the comments
Old 01-20-2015, 03:44 PM

No experience personally, but Last Mountain Reloading from Lumsden Saskatchewan can most likely get you bullets. He orders tons and goes to and from the states constantly getting bullies and brass for every caliber. If you decide to get one.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:35 AM

Default calhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Very interesting. FS~is the 19 Hornet the one simply called "19 Calhoon?" I read over his site a few weeks ago and off the offerings that seemed most familiar with the way I'm set up WAS the 19-223. I've also bought from Raynor...didn't know he dealt in .19 cal. I shoot .223 and .204R so I'm maybe TOO covered-off in varmint calibers...but the Calhoon site makes for an interesting read.

If you don't mind me asking, did you re-barrel a gun you had...or buy one of Calhoon's rifles? A CZ in .19 would be a pretty sweet varmint gun, been thinking about it for a while.
G H
I got my rifle as the 2nd owner and the original owner from Reddeer AB, i believe, put about 300 rounds through it before i got it. Mine is done on the CZ 527 action and I bought the single shot adapter for my rifle and it fits in my other CZ 22 hornets as well. I. still using the origial barrel which I think is a Kreiger? I have shot around another 700 rounds in this gun and is still a one holer at 100 yards at the range. The load I use is with AA 1680 powder and the 28gr bullet. Single set trigger really fun to use. mine has an exquisite piece of Walnut.
There was a time when I thought it was important to have 1 CZ 527 in all of the calibers it came in and for a while I had them all. all of them shot very well but none out shot the Calhoon, so they are in various parts of canada now. my assortment now of varmint pieces is 204, 19 Calhoon, 222, 22 hornet.
I have another CZ 527 that is done in a custom English walnut stock in 22 hornet that i could part with if you want a nice 527 but do not wish to get into a Calhoon... FS
Old 01-21-2015, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up

I have the big brother. 19 Badger Its built on the 30 carbine case. I will never sell it. Its one of the best rifles I have!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:15 AM

Any of You know where I can find the BC numbers for the calhoon bullets? I'd like to run some Numbers.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
G H
I got my rifle as the 2nd owner and the original owner from Reddeer AB, i believe, put about 300 rounds through it before i got it. Mine is done on the CZ 527 action and I bought the single shot adapter for my rifle and it fits in my other CZ 22 hornets as well. I. still using the origial barrel which I think is a Kreiger? I have shot around another 700 rounds in this gun and is still a one holer at 100 yards at the range. The load I use is with AA 1680 powder and the 28gr bullet. Single set trigger really fun to use. mine has an exquisite piece of Walnut.
There was a time when I thought it was important to have 1 CZ 527 in all of the calibers it came in and for a while I had them all. all of them shot very well but none out shot the Calhoon, so they are in various parts of canada now. my assortment now of varmint pieces is 204, 19 Calhoon, 222, 22 hornet.
I have another CZ 527 that is done in a custom English walnut stock in 22 hornet that i could part with if you want a nice 527 but do not wish to get into a Calhoon... FS
Thanks for the info. FS. I was after a 527 in 22 Hornet for some time, but gave-up and went with .204R (different animal of course, just wanted something a little different than the .223) I think 19-223 would be cool, but I'm thinking that no matter how I go about it...it'll be a pricey proposition. 527s aren't exactly inexpensive "donor" guns, and getting a barrel up here and fitted would probably kill a $G note. Still thinking about it...