Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Default Adding a second battery on a truck camper

Hi, Just a question hopefully someone can help me out.
I just bought an older camper. It runs the running lights, three overhead lights, fan for the furnace, and other small electrical devices off of the 7 pin plug from my truck. I would really like to add a second battery to the unit. I was thinking that I might place a deep cycle battery in the box beside the camper and have that 12v wire go to a battery selector in the truck, to which the 12V wire that comes from the 7 pin plug (which is used for the power now) would be attached to aswell. This way I can choose to run off of the deep cycle 2nd battery without worry of killing the battery in my truck, then if needed I can switch to my truck if the deep cycle battery dies/gets low. Also (i'm not sure about this) i could select both batteries while my truck is running to charge the deep cycle battery.
Thanks for any info
Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned

So your camper doesn't have a battery of its own? or do you want two?? sounds like it doesn't have a battery ,, which is a must.. unless you want to run your truck, have the battery die or use an electrical site.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 PM

You can run two batteries but you need to use an isolator between the two batteries so your truck battery won't drain while you use the camper lights and furnace. You should be able to pick one of those up at any automotive store.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 PM

Sorry, I should also have stated that while the truck is running with an isolator installed it will charge both batteries.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:15 AM

Smile

If it were me I'd put a mount bracket for the extra battery under the hood of the truck. Rather than putting it in the box.

I did this with my previous truck. What I did was not run an isolator, but I ran instead a relay which did the same thing. The relay was wired so that when the ignition was on it would activate the relay. Which would open the circuit between the batteries and it would charge both batteries when the truck was running. Then with the ignition off it would isolate the battery and just use the one battery for the camper. That way if it killed the camper battery I could still start my truck with the other one. Or if I was out for an extended period I could start the truck for a bit every day and charge up the camper battery.

The exact same thing as the isolator at 1/100th of the cost.

Rob
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 AM

Divert PM sent...
Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
If it were me I'd put a mount bracket for the extra battery under the hood of the truck. Rather than putting it in the box.

I did this with my previous truck. What I did was not run an isolator, but I ran instead a relay which did the same thing. The relay was wired so that when the ignition was on it would activate the relay. Which would open the circuit between the batteries and it would charge both batteries when the truck was running. Then with the ignition off it would isolate the battery and just use the one battery for the camper. That way if it killed the camper battery I could still start my truck with the other one. Or if I was out for an extended period I could start the truck for a bit every day and charge up the camper battery.

The exact same thing as the isolator at 1/100th of the cost.

Rob
couldnt have said it better myself.
i have dual 1600amp batts on a solenoid setup like this.
the thought of having a dead battery in the middle of no where is unacceptable.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Kingfisher,
So would something like this be the ticket?

Travelux Dual Battery Switch

Wire the + from the Alternator to the center mount then one of the side mounts to the + on my stock and the other side to the + of the newly added deep cycle?
Thanks for your help so far
Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 AM

Smile

Not sure about that switch set up how it would be wired. I'm sure others here might have some suggestions.

However the relay that I was talking about was this kind. It is a normally open relay with a signal coming fom the ignition. You can buy them anywhere. Crappy Tire, Napa, you name it. What I did was use 10ga wire from the battery + to #30 and again from #87 to the other battery.

Here is a basic schmatic for you to follow. Just ignore the headlight and other stuff that they have listed for #87 and your battery goes in place of that.

I used this configuration for about 6 years without a problem. Sold the truck to a guy who's still driving it today with the same wiring. That's about 10 years later. So it does work and it hasn't failed yet. Even if the relay burns out sometime then you just buy another one for a buck or two and away you go.

Rob

Rob
Old 05-04-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divert View Post
Kingfisher,
So would something like this be the ticket?

Travelux Dual Battery Switch

Wire the + from the Alternator to the center mount then one of the side mounts to the + on my stock and the other side to the + of the newly added deep cycle?
Thanks for your help so far

That is the switch to use. The small (center) post is wired to the ignition to open the switch when you shut the truck off. Closes when running.
One side goes to your battery, the other side post goes to your aux. battery.
Simple system and never breaks down. Used this system going back into the 70s.

Divert I sent my phone number via PM. I have the switch and likely the battery wire you'll need. Free.
Supposed to be working today though ? (can't really see it - ground is white)
Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
That is the switch to use. The small (center) post is wired to the ignition to open the switch when you shut the truck off. Closes when running.
One side goes to your battery, the other side post goes to your aux. battery.
Simple system and never breaks down. Used this system going back into the 70s.

Divert I sent my phone number via PM. I have the switch and likely the battery wire you'll need. Free.
Supposed to be working today though ? (can't really see it - ground is white)
make sure you specify that you want a continues switch not a momentary switch or it will not last. there very similar and some parts people dont no the difference so make sure you specify.they work better than the 70 amp relay because most altenators put out around 130 amps.