Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Travers Last Weekend...

Well - first time to Travers last weekend. With a few pointers and a new fish finder we decided to do some touring and see what we could come up with. Water temp was 59-61 degrees. Most fish we found on the finder were holding in 20+ feet of water, somtimes down to 35 feet. Lots o little 'handles in the shallows (2-6 ft of water) but nothing of any size. Was able to land a couple keeper size pike for lunch, and probably 30 - 40 that went back. Couldn't locate the walleye and / or get them to bite. According to locals they were hiding in 35' of water and biting very lightly. Oh well - had a great weekend. Managed a couple whitefish and the second keeper pike on the jigs I recently started tying for myself. The whitefish pics weren't taken with my camera but they weren't really pic worthy either (maybe 2lbs).

Old 06-16-2007, 11:53 PM

Default re

We were down there today by the spillway- tin tiny pike!! No keepers and not one walleye- oh well weather was good. At one point there was 18 boats anchored around and trolling the spill way- no one was catching anything. Apparently the Alberta Walleye Trail had a derby there. What were the pike taking? I got bit off more than I landed as it is hard to present a leech on a wire leader.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:56 AM
-NDN-

great report. Nice color pattern on that first pike. would like to try those southern res's one day, mainly for the walleye. Any pics of the spillway?? never seen Travers
Old 06-17-2007, 01:02 AM

Nice fish guys I have heard theres big pike in there.

Ive been told the shore straight off the boat launch on the other side is really good for walleye and the deep inlet thats off there is good for big pike. Dont know if its true or not.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:29 AM

Got my pike on a marabou jig I tied up for walleye - suprised he didn't break it off - 8lb test and no leader....

Dad got his keeper on a plain silver spoon while trolling. Others were caught on Raps trolling - jointed seemed to be working best. The majority though (all the small ones) were on a jig head and dual twister tails.

Don't have any pics of the spillway on my camera, but my brother snapped a few so I'll see if he can send em my way.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Default re

I think all the Pike we were catching were washing down from Mcgregor as they wre hammerhandle looking- not healthy at all. I am not to sure why some ofthe pike are so sickly looking from there but the average travers pike is nice and chunky. They walleye were turned off- I am sure they were around as the boats from the tourney stuck around all day- anyone know what the biggest eye caught was??
Old 06-17-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Nice fish guys I have heard theres big pike in there.

Ive been told the shore straight off the boat launch on the other side is really good for walleye and the deep inlet thats off there is good for big pike. Dont know if its true or not.
That is an excellent place after a derby, that's where they release the big ones after weigh in. 2 weeks ago we couldn't keep the walleyes off the hooks in as little as 5 feet of water and the spillway was good too. This weekend the derby was on and everyone was having a slow time (cold front) many boats upstream from the launch at Little Bow, marking lotsa fish little action.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Caught the whitefish upstream of the Little Bow launch.