Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Default Broadheads??????

Just wondering what you all think is the best broadhead out there and which ones that flys the closest to your field tips. I have been shooting fixed broadheads and seem to be not bad but would gladly like to hear all your guys input. Thanks!!!!! Also has anyone heard anything about G5 or Montec Broadheads????
Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM

I've shot alot of montecs but do not get them they are nowhere near as good as the g5 the g5 are way sharper the montecs are completely dull I will never go back to montecs g5 all the way
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Montecs are made by G5,I think your thinking of strikers. I like the G5 strikers and have been playing with slick tricks and also like those.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Muzzh all the way

I shot Muzzy regular 3 blade 100g out of my bow. It shoot well with it. You should pick 2 to 3 different type of broadheads and test them all out to see which one is the best. I don't pay too much attention to the strongest BH promotion at all. I don't re-use any BH after killing a moose with it or hit a rock. I just replace it with a new one. Nowadays, most fixed blade BH are very good and sharp. After all, it is all about your shooting accuracy and shot placement.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM

G5 Montecs are what I like best. I've used a few different kinds recently but I keep going back to the Montecs. Easy to resharpen and built like mini-tanks. I've also had pretty good luck with the F15's and Crimson Talons. Lots of people like to tell tales of failure with the talons but I've never had one not do the trick for me.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 AM

Default G5 Montec's all the way

I have been using Montec G5's for many years and have no reason to try anything else. They fly true, are easy to sharpen, and penitrate extremely well. They have my vote.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Spitfires. Never had any problem with them, never lost an animal! They fly true, and leave a massive hole!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Grim reapers! I have had a marginal shot put a critter down just because of the size of the hole!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Muzzy is what I"ve used for years,killed a lot of annimals.I also like the look of the Grizz tricks with the 1&1/4 cutting diameter,would like to try them when I use up all my Muzzys.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Im a montec guy , i really like there practice broadheads , theres no adjusting once you put the sharp ones on !!! Cant beat'em imo
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM

I Just picked up 6 100 gr Ramcats...Look very solid after a touch of blue loctite on the screws. They are very sharp and fly like a Field point,have heard of great results.So they will be in my Quiver come Turkey hunting.I Was shooting slick trick mags,what a great head...Slick tricks are hard to beat..For a Mechanical i shoot 100 gr 2 Blade rage and have had great results.I Belive it is all personal preference.Good luck
Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 PM

slick trick mags!
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM

I have had good luck with the 100gr 2 blade rage. Shot moose,elk,and wt with them with no problems.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM

mx-3 all the way i feel.....out at the ranch i shot three 2 year old bison with the same arrow and broadhead and i would have no problem shooting deer with the same one in the same year..if they keep making them i will keep useing them
Old 02-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Default Muzzy!

I love my Muzzys, fly identical to my field points!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 PM

i have shot the 1 3/4 grim reapers. will continue to use them. leave big hole and are as accurate as a field point.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:20 AM

If you want a head like a montec get some VPA terminators, far better steel, holds a way better edge and they're significantly tougher.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Default slick tricks

the slick tricks are awesome and they are very tough.

you can't go wrong with the slick tricks.
I shoot the 100gr standard ones
Old 02-04-2012, 11:05 AM

Switched to Spitfires last year, worked great on my cow elk. I have used Slick tricks and like them also. Going to buy some Ramcats and see how they fly.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:09 PM

G5 Montecs..

Always had good luck with the 3 blade Muzzys as well..

Hated Thunderheads...
Old 02-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

Magnus stingers, fly like field points, penetrate like crazy, and you cant beat the warenty. I use the 100 grain 2 and 4 blades, the 4 blades seem to get better blood trails.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Banned

Reapers now after years with montecs and some others, all work well but really liking the reapers after couple seasons now, will continue, just have to get past the cheesy name and marketing as that turned me off for years, they really r watch em drop heads though
Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 PM

They all kill, and if you know how to tune, they'll all fly.

Having said that I have had success with many different manufactures. Simple take the plunge and buy some and try them, don't like them... buy some different ones and repeat.

I have garnered quite the collection, mind you that I have trade and sold many to other archers and vise versa. I really don't have much of any loyality to any manufacturer, but I do like the life-time garentee with Magnus. Slick Tricks have served me well, so have Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Locksm and Terminators. My go to mechanical is an NAP Spitfire, but I haven't had a chance to throw any of the newer Grim Reapers since they redesigned/strengthed their ferrules.

Steel Force Phat Heads are very appealing, as are the new Muzzy MX Phatoms, and their MX-3's and MX-4s are popular as well.

I think I will take Swackers for spring bear, or maybe just use up my left over Spitfires...

Montecs have served me well also.

Like I said, they all kill.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM

I was a loyal Montec guy until I tried others that were sharper, lasted longer & were more accurate for me. Now you couldn't pay me to use them. This past season I took WT & Mule bucks with Cabela's Copperheads. Both in the 45-55 yard range. Resilient, sharp with a capitol S and fly true. Great price and fantastic quality. I plan on hunting these for years to come.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Broadheads are just one of those things that falls into the "if it ain't broke" traps, none of them are, they all have and will kill.

Earlier today I had a convo with a customer who was very adimit that Magnus and Steel Force was the 'be all, end all' of broadheads. He'd been bowhunting for 30+ years and all he'd ever used were these guys... I've used them with great results.

He damn near screamed blasphemy when I said that I used mechanicals. He was absolutely sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that they deflected, lacked penetration, wouldn't open, opened in flight, broke, and were just one more thing to go wrong. Well I'd never had a deflection, pre-mature deployment, no deployment and that in all but one instance had complete pass throughs.

I am a bit of a broadhead junkie, I like seeing the different designs and profiles and how they preform. I have been lucky enough to never of had a broadhead no due what its purpose was, however I have had some that after its been said and done have been worse from the wear.

Punishment tests are a dime a dosen, plywood, steel drums, cinder blocks, buckets of gravel... They don't reflect how heads preform on game. Even the ballistic gellatin is not an effect medium. I can say that I have seen a montec go through a steel drum without any damage and that same head be all but destroyed on a quartering shot on an elk.

There are so many different options that it would be foolish to limit yourself to one. Try one, see how you like it, then compare it to another, or take something tried, tested and true and compare it to the latest marketing on the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) of all broadheads.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:05 PM

BIG fan of Magnus Stingers esp for trad gear,, and am in love with Slick Tricks when hunting with my compounds.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM

For those of you using slick tricks: What model do you use?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Magnus stingers, fly like field points, penetrate like crazy, and you cant beat the warenty. I use the 100 grain 2 and 4 blades, the 4 blades seem to get better blood trails.
X2! They are awesome!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:34 PM

spitfires forsure ...huge holes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
For those of you using slick tricks: What model do you use?
100 grain magnum.