Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM

Default Lake Minnewanka - Open or Closed??

Is anyone able to confirm whether Lake Minnewanka is open or closed to private boats for fishing?? I heard a rumor that it was closed due to the recent flooding.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM

Still closed on Monday don't know if it opened yet. Was supposed to have opened on Wednesday but have not heard.

I am holding off till next week, I think there is most likely a large debris field similar to or maybe even larger than last years.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Here you go gents:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/scond/Cond_...2&oPark=100092

HK
Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Just read that myself.

Too bad, interesting that it is just the boat launch which takes all the sport fisherman out of the lake but leaves the guides running cause they have boats tied up to the docks.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Red face

Any word on an update on Lake Minnewanka? I am a father of three who is camping in the area this weekend and was really hoping to rent a boat and drop a line in the water with my boys.

I'm not a seasoned fisherman by any means so I usually hit the tackle stores before I go but I don't want to buy a bunch of new lures if it's closed.

If it IS closed....any idea's on a decent fishing lake with boat rentals close to Banff?

thanks in advance for your response.:

Last edited by Radiolad; 07-16-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Talked to Wapiti Sports in Canmore today; As per their knowledge, Minnewanka is still closed.

There's always Spray Lakes if Minnewanka is closed, and you still want to fish the area this weekend.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Talked to Wapiti Sports in Canmore today; As per their knowledge, Minnewanka is still closed.

There's always Spray Lakes if Minnewanka is closed, and you still want to fish the area this weekend.
X2, my good friend was in the area on the weekend and yes it is still closed.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiolad View Post
Any word on an update on Lake Minnewanka? I am a father of three who is camping in the area this weekend and was really hoping to rent a boat and drop a line in the water with my boys.

I'm not a seasoned fisherman by any means so I usually hit the tackle stores before I go but I don't want to buy a bunch of new lures if it's closed.

If it IS closed....any idea's on a decent fishing lake with boat rentals close to Banff?

thanks in advance for your response.:
http://www.explorerockies.com/minnew...urs-rates.aspx

The Lady that answered at 403.760.8554 said they were indeed open for rentals. She said you could call the docks at 403.762.4425 for rates.

Hope that helps, have a great trip
Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM

awesome! Thanks!!!! First time poster BTW.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM

Called today lake is open to boats that are on the lake already. Boat launch is still closed. Boat lauch is not damaged but something to do with the dam being damaged right beside boat launch. Dude i talk to said they are working around the clock to fix it. But no one has comfirmed a date when launch is going to open. The guy also said the lake has cleaned up alot and is looking good.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
awesome! Thanks!!!! First time poster BTW.
Welcome to AO BTW if you have never taken a boat out on Minnewanka then be very careful, especially with the kids. That lake can turn ugly in a hurry when the wind picks up and you do not want to be too far down the lake in a 12footer.

Stay close to shore if possible be safe, have fun.

Sure irritating that we cannot use the boat launch yet. Maybe next month if we are lucky.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM

thanks for all the info everyone!

I am off to camp tomorrow ( Sunday July 21st ) and will spend at least a couple of days this week on the water in one of those little rentals.

went to BPS yesterday and despite some AWESOME help from Fraser, finding the right lures was a ginormous pain in the behind ( no lead, no scents, no treblehooks etc...)

Actually that brings up a good question....if a lure contains lead but it is completely encased by the rubber or material of the lure, is it still banned??
Old 07-20-2013, 11:18 AM

lol I went over the dam 2 days last weekend and I did not see a single soul working on the outlet. So no, they are not working 24 hours/day on it. They take the weekend off.

I fished two jack for 3 hours from shore and got nothing, not even a nibble. There were loads of people swimming in the lake by the day use though.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
thanks for all the info everyone!

I am off to camp tomorrow ( Sunday July 21st ) and will spend at least a couple of days this week on the water in one of those little rentals.

went to BPS yesterday and despite some AWESOME help from Fraser, finding the right lures was a ginormous pain in the behind ( no lead, no scents, no treblehooks etc...)

Actually that brings up a good question....if a lure contains lead but it is completely encased by the rubber or material of the lure, is it still banned??
Yes still banned. No lead period. Ive never been checked, but heard they are very strict about it, so make sure. I get my stuff from wholesale sports the had a not bad selection last year.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM

I called today and the launch is still closed and they don't know when it will open
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Yes still banned. No lead period. Ive never been checked, but heard they are very strict about it, so make sure. I get my stuff from wholesale sports the had a not bad selection last year.
I think you can use lead but it needs to be large

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...14a.aspx#Banff

"When angling, it is unlawful to:•Fish with or possess within 100 metres of park waters the following:◦any lead tackle (sinkers, jigs, lures and flies) under 50 grams;

Last edited by cube; 07-24-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Good guide line for lead in national parks is to make sure its a 2 ounce weight.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM

Lead is legal to use in the National Park as long as the weights/lures are 2ounces or more in weight. As for the Minnewanka being closed I was there on Sunday and the public boat launch is still closed but the fishing is not. This is due to the spillway is wide open draining water and the water currents around the launch are very dangerous. I just checked and the spillway should be closed tomorrow so I'm guessing the boat launch will be open this weekend but I would call to double check. After seeing Minnewanka was closed on Sunday me and the girlfriend took the boat to Spray and we had our limits in just over an hour all 16-18'' lakers missed a big one Fishing was amazing caught 20+ lakers in just a few hours Trolling rapalas with downriggers set at 30' in 35fow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spray Lakes 2013 009 resize.jpg (84.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 PM

looks like fun at spray
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Banned

Is spray lake closed or open as of right now?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 PM

Default Minnewanka boat launch

Phoned the gov't multiple times & no one has an answer as to when the launch will reopen...they even repeditly passes me between departments shrugging off responsibility...I guess no one is accountable. I guess I'll just take my $ somewhere else. Very frustrating, while private charters are still allowed to use the lake. Carrot in front of the nose non?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 PM

The launch is closed, not the lake. If your boat was in the water before they had to open the spillway, you're good to go. Rental boats were launched well before the flooding.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:58 PM

Just got back from a week in the Kananaskis and 2 days on minnewanka with a rental boat and sorry to say...0 fish HOWEVER after talking with sports store in Canmore, they said trolling is the way to go right now and I will say I was using a large Les Thompson 5 diamond trolling lure and hooked into a monster fish in the bay that managed to snap my line ( or my knot was not good which would not surprise me).

The guy on the dock says he's been having good luck with fly's hovering just above weeds on the bottom in about 40 feet of water.

Also the folks at the dock said that treble hooks ARE allowed and you do not need to crimp the hook.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post
Is spray lake closed or open as of right now?

Did you not just read the post?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM

Default July 29/13

Lake Minnewanka is open for boaters.

During the June floods, the public boat launch was closed due to high water flows coming out of the spillway.

Parks Canada announced Monday that full public access to Lake Minnewanka is now permitted — including the boat launch.

Late last week, TransAlata installed a safety boom near the dam on the reservoir.

It will be used to warn boaters about the dangers of the spillway area and deter boaters from approaching the area around the spillway where water current still poses a threat.