Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Default Christina Lake Bass ( retired albertan )

Hey , heres my last one for the day. I have spent a good amount of time on this body of water. Mostly in search of smallmouth which i kind of found.

The first thing you will notice on this lake is how easy it is to catch bass. Theres only 1 problem ! They are SMALL !!!!! the lake supports smallmouth which are mostly stunted in growth. These fish are all over the lake. But if your after the big ladys stick to the map.

Its obvious ive found the north and south ends most productive but also in size. Big largemouth are in the pads all over these two spots. Sight fish them , look for openings in the pads . throw top waters , senkos , shaky heads , etc...

the marking at lighthouse point is where i have both caught and spotted good sized smallmouth bass. Not many but a few "good ones" the one i landed was 4 + which isnt half bad . I've also spotted 2 - 3 big smallies on the north end out of the channel by the resort beach that way.

Your mainly going to want the largemouth in the pads , but if you can get a few good smallies to go it will be worth your while. The rest of the lake is mostly admissable. Not that its bad for fishing but its not good for bass fishing and all you will catch are small smallmouth bass , and maybe the odd trout.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 AM

I've heard rumors there is a dogs breakfast of fish species in here. You ever get anything else besides bass or trout?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 AM

I've had a muskie take me off on the north end. I've heard walleye are spotted that way. Since it bleeds with the american river ( grand i think ? ) on the north end , some mixed species have gotten in. Predominantly small smallmouth ( 1 lb maybe ? ) along pretty much the entire shoreline. Some spots look better but generally the north and south ends are strongest. Mainly because for warm water fish the shallow flats keep them busy long through the year and they feed well. Christina was introduced to a shipment by train from Bay of Quinte in Ontario called "Sunfish Family" which included largemouth , smallmouth , bluegill records indicate 1915 .. who knows what else ....

The lake is beautiful , and generally pretty calm from my experience unless a dead north or south wind .... which you can still tuck into spots ...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 AM

We have a summer place at Christina Lake BC in Alpine, and my in laws have a year round place at the lake.

" I've had a muskie take me off on the north end. I've heard walleye are spotted that way. " (from an above post)

I have never, in 30 years heard of any Muskie or Walleye in the lake, that is unbelievable

Bass, yes, lots, I won the May Long Weekend Derby a couple years ago with a 4 pounder, and generally a Bass takes it every year. Lots of Kokanee, and there are Rainbows.
Bass are pretty easy to catch, we normally target the docks just North of the marina on the East side, or the docks at the South end.

There are a couple young guys who catch BIG bass there every single year, dont have a clue how they do it, but every year they are in them. I fluked into mine as I usually troll my brains out for the bows.

It isnt what I would call a dynamite fishery, but my wife and kids live there all summer, and I tear back and forth. It is a beautiful lake.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:29 PM

Basically , the big ones are on the north and south extremes .... is what im getting at ... pads are the biggest clue ... the rest will be small and poluted end to end of the lakes shoreline ... only a few bigs to get

I'll post pictures shortly ..
Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 PM

Heading to Christina middle of August. What type of lures for the bass? Also heard there are also crappies in there any tips would be awesome
Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 PM

Had great success just up from the provincial campground for medium sized smallies. Rubber earthworms texas rigged did the trick. Another plus is that area has some cool petroglyphs to see on the rockfaces around there.