Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
Almost forgot..

THE NUMBER ONE RULE !!

Always work upriver..... If you break something then you can drift back to your car...
Best advise X1000000, happened to us brand new river boat 250 jet, going up river from gleiffer, 30 mins up river hit gravel bar filled intake with rocks, had to float all way back boat wasent so brand new after that..Make sure you know the river..
Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM

Lots of good info here.

I have a 14'6" Princecraft with a 15 HP on the back. No problems at all going upstream on the Athabasca and Clearwater Rivers (Fort McMurray) with 2 people on board .

But as has been said - knowing the waters is paramount! Going slow until you know the river is important. I've rigged up my depth finder so it's mounted off the bow and watch it like a hawk in unfamiliar waters. That way I have about 15 feet to stop before the leg contacts a hazard that shows up. Of course that won't work when going faster. I've also 'kissed' sandbars and other obstacles a few times. Stuff shifts in rivers all the time. One of the last times I was out I 'clunked' a rock (or 2 or 3) on my way in - in water I am familiar with. So my prop has a couple of nicks in it .

Sometimes a few inches different depth can make all the difference.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM

Default Wear protection!

If you're going to be running the rivers a lot, do yourself a favour and build one of these. Also, a stainless prop can be a darn good investment.

I run rivers big and small in by 14' Zodiac and by 20' freighter canoe with this 20hp on it - no problems at all.
Those commercially available prop protectors are not tough enough to do their job in my opinion. For the price of a 20 dollar garden fork and a couple hours with a welder, you'll be able to rest at ease that your prop and lower unit wont be taken right out if you do hit a gravel bar when you're up on step.

As for whether 15hp is underpowered, I know that I wouldn't want any less than my 20 on a 14'. Being underpowered is never a good thing when you're fighting currents.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 PM

can you even get on plane with a 15HP+14' tinny upstream? I run a 200HP jet and I wish I had more power sometimes. Just remember slow current usually means deep water, fast current usually means shallow, also take into consideration of width the river. I fish the Upper Bow and Red Deer river all the time and I wouldn't take a prop motor on it but maybe this year since it's a lot higher. I'm usually in only 4'-5' of water
Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
can you even get on plane with a 15HP+14' tinny upstream?
easy, gotta remember the tinnys are pretty light weight, 12 footer with 2 adults and a couple kids works great with a 15hp or 20hp.

i run a 14' with a 20hp and can plane at half throttle with the boat loaded to max weight.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM

A 12 footer with 2 adults and 2 kids sounds like dunking waiting to happen. Hit a water shear, rapids, or a whirlpool and you find you suddenly don't have enough freeboard. I prefer a minimum of a deep 14 footer and 20 hp motor. My 2 cents worth. 23 years on the river.
Columbia old guy