Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 10:09 PM

Default Sight advice

Looking for a new sight, preferably 5 pin or similar. I need something with a good amount of horizontal adjustment. I shoot an Anchor sight, and it seems like most of the sights I've tried are maxed out left on the horizontal and I'm still needing a little more. I've currently got an EZ V sight mounted, and it had sufficient adjustments but would like to go back to a regular sight this year. Had a Trophy Ridge 5 on previously that I really liked minus the lack of adjustments, I had to build a 1/8 inch spacer to get it on target. Any recommendations on a decent hunting sight that won't break the bank?
Old 01-13-2020, 06:54 AM

Default Sight

Blackout 5 pin from Cabelas. This is the Basspro line. I picked 1 up on sale over Christmas for $49. Bought it for my back up bow. It is back up to reg price of $99 currently but might go on sale again. Another good option is to check out the archery chat groups on facebook. Lots of stuff forsale there.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13665...-pin-bow-sight
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 AM

A visit to a pro shop would help. Sounds like there's something up with either your bow, or your form. I've never had a sight that ran out of horizontal adjustment.

But as far as sight options go, the bow shop will have everything you need as well. I had TR sights too (vertical pin models) which I really liked, now shooting an IQ model.

J.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
A visit to a pro shop would help. Sounds like there's something up with either your bow, or your form. I've never had a sight that ran out of horizontal adjustment.

But as far as sight options go, the bow shop will have everything you need as well. I had TR sights too (vertical pin models) which I really liked, now shooting an IQ model.

J.
With an Anchor Sight I am assuming he is shooting without a peep, so opposed to looking through the string, he is looking to the left of it. With this type of set up and some sights, he will run out of left/right adjustment
Old 01-13-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
With an Anchor Sight I am assuming he is shooting without a peep, so opposed to looking through the string, he is looking to the left of it. With this type of set up and some sights, he will run out of left/right adjustment
Yep, you are correct. I read the post a little bit too fast and missed the part of the Anchor Sight being used.

xxclaro, the IQ sight that I use has a Retina Lock and is the same technology that the Anchor Sight uses. As brendan's dad stated above, if you are not using a string peep, you need to adjust the Anchor Sight so that you're own anchor point is so that you are looking "through" the string (essentially blurring out the string close to your eye). With my IQ setup in this fashion, I can shoot all the way out to 100 yards and my arrow / nock / line of pins / string are all in vertical alignment.

I imagine that with an arrow nocked on your string, your line of pins lie to the left of the string & arrow shaft?

J.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM

You may need to adjust your form or readjust your anchor sight while a peep is installed in your string. It’s critical when setting the anchor sight up that you move it to suit YOU and that you don’t move to suit it. It’s easy to compensate to it, but the fine adjustments should be made so it conforms to you.

LC
Old 01-14-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Reticle Sights?

Just curious - is anyone using (or has tried) a reticle sight? if so, what did you like or dislike about it?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Just curious - is anyone using (or has tried) a reticle sight? if so, what did you like or dislike about it?

Thanks!
You mean a lens with a reticle? I wouldn’t use a lens hunting, too many things can affect it rain, fog, humidity, dust, sun glare, sticks can punch it out.

LC
Old 01-14-2020, 02:35 PM

I am pretty happy with my IQ sight and I have had a bunch. Improved my shooting considerably
Old 01-14-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, you are correct. I read the post a little bit too fast and missed the part of the Anchor Sight being used.

xxclaro, the IQ sight that I use has a Retina Lock and is the same technology that the Anchor Sight uses. As brendan's dad stated above, if you are not using a string peep, you need to adjust the Anchor Sight so that you're own anchor point is so that you are looking "through" the string (essentially blurring out the string close to your eye). With my IQ setup in this fashion, I can shoot all the way out to 100 yards and my arrow / nock / line of pins / string are all in vertical alignment.

I imagine that with an arrow nocked on your string, your line of pins lie to the left of the string & arrow shaft?

J.

You use a peep with that retina lock sight? I was looking at one last year, seems like a good idea.
I've been shooting this Anchor sight for about 6 years now,and have been very happy with it. My only issue is the limited adjustment on some types of sights. I had a 3 pin previously that worked, and the EZ V I have now works too, but I'd like to go to a 5 pin again. I have noticed the vision in my right eye has become somewhat worse over the last few years, that may be a factor in this. I'm going to try to readjust the anchor sight to get slightly closer to the string, maybe that will be enough.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
You use a peep with that retina lock sight? I was looking at one last year, seems like a good idea.
I've been shooting this Anchor sight for about 6 years now,and have been very happy with it. My only issue is the limited adjustment on some types of sights. I had a 3 pin previously that worked, and the EZ V I have now works too, but I'd like to go to a 5 pin again. I have noticed the vision in my right eye has become somewhat worse over the last few years, that may be a factor in this. I'm going to try to readjust the anchor sight to get slightly closer to the string, maybe that will be enough.
One could use a peep with the Retina Lock / NoPeep / Anchor Sight style systems, but I personally do not.

Try to get the Anchor Sight setup and aligned so that your eye "blurs" the string out as you look through the string (it can be done) or just on the left edge (if you shoot right handed). If you get the AS aligned so that your anchor point is seeing through/next to the string, I'm sure that you won't be running out of left/right alignment on your normal sight blocks.

LC advice above on setting up the AS is spot on!!!

J.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:

J.
Correct, pins are to the left of the string and shaft. I went out in the shop and played around with it a bit, but can't seem to correct this. I'm actually looking to right of the string, looking through it or left of the string makes the problem worse. I can draw and anchor with my eyes closed and when I open my eye the Anchor sight is centered...I tried adjusting my anchor a bit but I've been shooting this way so long anything else feels wrong. I don't have much range in the shop, only about 13 yards, but even at this range I'm about an inch left with my sight maxed out. Not sure what to try next except a different sight with a bit more adjustment range.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:46 AM

Find a sight with more adjustment, I recall I had to shim a Trophy Ridge with Teflon washers when I used to have one.

BUT BEFORE THAT, Double check your rest/center shot. Usually around 13/16” from inner riser to middle of shaft is correct. Center shot is center shot...you shouldn’t deviate from that setting. Use yoke tuning or cam shims for correcting paper tears. Leave center shot as is.

LC
Old 01-20-2020, 09:06 AM

Lefty you just beat me to it :-)

Quick check to see where your at..
I have mine set at .800 or about 13/16" for my Triax

Check for plaining angle from center shot to the riser side

Tape an arrow to the riser's side just above the burger hole
nock another arrow on rest

If your arrow on the rest "plains" to either the left or right a lot compared to
the other arrow taped on the riser, you may need to go to a bow shop to
get it yoke tuned or cams shimmed.
There used to be a post on here by Lost Arrow here on yoke tuning, if you
don't have the tools bow press etc. Best to take it to a bow shop.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 01-20-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:37 PM

Thanks guys. Had Laurence over at Accurate Archery set the bow up when I bought it new from him,and he checked it over when he put new strings/cables on for me last year, so hopefully it's ok.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:15 AM

Let us know how you make out.

I had the same problem with my Spot Hogg Fast Eddie sight, ran out of
vertical adjustment until I switched my top hats to set the cam lean.
When the cam lean was incorrect I was still able to shoot bullets in paper at 6 feet but at 20 yards
I had to have the sight maxed out in vertical adjustment.

I had bows go out of tune and needed yoke tuning after about 750 to 1500
shots on a new string/cable set because they stretched and settled in, also
noticed peep rotation occur at the same time. After the new string set settled in and the cam lean
was reset it stayed there for pretty much years
to come.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:52 AM

Had to add this was too late to do an edit.

I meant to say "I ran out of horizontal adjustment" not vertical adjustment.

Sorry about the old timers kicking in. :-)