Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 06:36 PM

Forgot to say, 12 inches of good clear ice at RR23, I drove on and so did lots of others.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:02 PM

thats good to know!!!! i can put my shack on the ice this week!!!

tnx

happy
Old 01-05-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
thats good to know!!!! i can put my shack on the ice this week!!!

tnx

happy
Lots of trailers and shacks out there now!
Old 01-05-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Was out at RR23 this afternoon.

First time out this season, and first time to RR23 so it took me a bit to find the spot I wanted. Right on the edge of the drop off.

Saw about 6 whites on the camera in the distance, one came in for a closer look and split.

Caught 1 small hammer handle on a 8” smelt right after I set the jaw jacker up. I didn’t even get back to the tent and it went off.

Might head out again to the same spot tomorrow morning.
DK .... RR23 has lots of good structure, from the lake access road everyone turns left & heads east, I had a couple spots that were close to those weed beds that were mini sunken islands or humps that came up about 12-16" higher than the surrounding area in 6-7 FOW, Whites roamed around these humps then went deeper in the afternoon 18-20 FOW towards that sand bar that heads out to the middle of the lake. If you can find some similar structure with some sand patches between the low weed growth you should do well, wish you all the success.

Cheers from Palm Springs,

David

Old 01-06-2020, 06:23 PM

im just worried my titan will go through the ice....lol....i might go out friday....drive the truck and shack along the shore....test drill out....if its 13" or more....i think ill drive it out and park it....

cold temps on the way!!!!
Old 01-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
im just worried my titan will go through the ice....lol....i might go out friday....drive the truck and shack along the shore....test drill out....if its 13" or more....i think ill drive it out and park it....

cold temps on the way!!!!
I drove out a few hundred feet, wanted to try deep on the flats. I hit some flood water so I just stopped and fished there. Didn’t see much so started coming back towards shore.

I found 12” of ice the whole way out. Lots of one tons on the ice.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:13 PM

thanks soooooooooo much for the update. ill put it on the ice this week!!! west from norgenwald laumch by the point. come by and say hi anytime.....

bwack can always come too...

happy
Old 01-12-2020, 02:45 PM

got the shack on finally....saw 1 white...caught 3 walleye....and some monster fish broke me off at night!!!

ice is 14"...i drove on....might be back tuesday!!!

happy
Old 01-15-2020, 04:38 PM

Exclamation

sylvan ice thickening only 14' , this year ice fishing should be hard
Old 01-15-2020, 05:44 PM

Decided to brave the freezing weather and headed to sylvan. I arrived super late at around 11 am and it was completely dead until around 2 pm and by 4, I had my limit of whites. I also caught a small walleye. Didn't even see a single perch which was really surprising. I was out by RR20 in around 12ft earlier in the day and then 14-16 ft later on in the afternoon.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:58 PM

thank you for you report the ice thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
Decided to brave the freezing weather and headed to sylvan. I arrived super late at around 11 am and it was completely dead until around 2 pm and by 4, I had my limit of whites. I also caught a small walleye. Didn't even see a single perch which was really surprising. I was out by RR20 in around 12ft earlier in the day and then 14-16 ft later on in the afternoon.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
So how thick was the ice? Just want to know if I should put the quad away or not
Old 02-06-2020, 03:56 PM

Default Sylvan lake

Anyone been to Sylvan lately? Never iced fished it before but was going to take the kid out to see if he can hook his first white. Any suggestions on good access points to the lake where we might find a white? Was going to take sleds out as I don't like driving the truck on the ice too far Thanks
Old 02-06-2020, 05:15 PM

A sad day it was at sylvan for me. Fished out at Sunbreaker and only managed a burb and a decent sized perch. Had maybe 3 whites show up on my flasher but didn't even bite. Fished from 8 till 2 then I decided to pack up and leave. I tried everything in my tackle box from scud imitations to candy cane wireworms.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Anyone been to Sylvan lately? Never iced fished it before but was going to take the kid out to see if he can hook his first white. Any suggestions on good access points to the lake where we might find a white? Was going to take sleds out as I don't like driving the truck on the ice too far Thanks
People seem to be having some luck at Norglenwold for the whites, I have found that if you go out the Norglenwold lake access point, and turn right toward the lighthouse a ways, there's some whites wandering around there.
Palm Bay(Beach?) on the very North end of the lake is often a solid producer for whites as well, and is easily accessed by truck.
I fished RR23, off the point to the North in about 10 feet of water last week; no bites, but I did see 4 or 5 whites cruising by on the ledge in about 8 fow.

Side note, the ice is plenty thick on Sylvan, if you're concerned about going through, stick to the main throughways that people have beaten down. Theres dingleberries in one tons doing 80mile an hour out there right now and not going through.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:07 AM

I see no one's been one here in awhile...Is it worth going out to try and catch some pike and walleye through the ice with my boys? Got some time on my hands now and a couple little guys that haven't been out since last year. Messages with advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:19 PM

Returned yesterday from Palm Springs, 3 weeks early due to the C-virus, need to self-isolate for 14-15 days, plan to do my time in my ice fishin shack in the middle of the lake, please no visitors.

This guy went down on March 11 in the Palm Bay area, from the second pic it looks more like Sunbreaker Cove area, it's reported there is an spring in the area, today these pic's were posted on a Sylvan Facebook site, not sure if they got it out this afternoon, but I imagine so. A resident spoke to the vehicle owner, he said his insurance will cover it.

Stay healthy & safe everyone.

Cheers

David

Old 03-24-2020, 06:37 AM

Welcome back Zip. Too bad it is under these circumstances. I hope fishing in isolation applies to human and not fish

Good luck out there!

Based on the pics, maybe I'll stick to skidoo if I head out to Sylvan before end of season.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:00 AM

yo zip...glad ur back....ill be heading to my shack this weekend for a final trip...last time i was out...about a week ago...ice was over 26" thick...with the weather i think its still good enough to drive on...well it better be as i have to get the shack off the ice and into storage. .

then i guess self isolate till ice off and see where we are with this stupid mess......

i have a camper so i might just bug out for a while by a river that opens in april...lol

happy
Old 03-24-2020, 07:08 PM
Banned

Was outhere today winch tractor is sitting there truck still there deeper though just can see the roof alittle, caught a few fish was good overall
Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 PM

Tks fellas for the kind words ... plan to go out tomorrow & field test some new gear I picked up while in Palm Springs. From the amount of vehicles I seen on the ice when we arrived Sunday afternoon, it looks like there will be no issues with everyone removing their shacks & trailers by March 31st.

Once I get out of jail, I'll need to garage engineer a safety disk/stopper so my 10" Strikemaster doesn't come loose from the drill & drop down the hole. So far planning on using a plastic kitchen cutting board, unless someone here has a better option.

D.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Tks fellas for the kind words ... plan to go out tomorrow & field test some new gear I picked up while in Palm Springs. From the amount of vehicles I seen on the ice when we arrived Sunday afternoon, it looks like there will be no issues with everyone removing their shacks & trailers by March 31st.

Once I get out of jail, I'll need to garage engineer a safety disk/stopper so my 10" Strikemaster doesn't come loose from the drill & drop down the hole. So far planning on using a plastic kitchen cutting board, unless someone here has a better option.

D.

Frisbee would be cheaper and already round...

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-25-2020, 05:57 AM

5 gallon bucket lid
Old 03-25-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter guy View Post
Was outhere today winch tractor is sitting there truck still there deeper though just can see the roof alittle, caught a few fish was good overall
Is everyone walking at Sunbreaker right now because of this break-through? Or just staying away from that one area? I was thinking about heading out there for one last rip this weekend, but curious how much gear I should bring, if I'm gonna be hand-bombing it in the sled...
Old 03-25-2020, 09:48 PM

Tks for the suggestions.

SamSteele .... considered using a Frisbee until I read a post on Ice Shanty were a guy in the USA said his auger came off his drill and his Frisbee cracked & broke, most likely because it was to thin & he watched his auger go down the hole.

DiabeticKripple .... gave that option some thought, a plastic pail lid isn't much thicker than a Frisbee, I'd be concerned it wouldn't hold the auger from going down.

I found this example on Y-Tube, this fella mfg'd his disc/stopper using a 3D Printer, unfortunately, I don't have access to a printer, but really like his design. Still leaning towards using a 3/8" kitchen cutting board or perhaps a piece of 1/2" Lexan & cutting it in a circle, maybe even cut slots similar to this example. Would be easy to hang onto and lift up & out of the hole.

D.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM

Picked up a 5" auger when in Palm Springs for $38.00 delivered, plan to use it mainly for dropping my Marcum camera down the hole to find structure then locate the spot on the spot ... modified it today to use with my M18 drill. It would also work well for perch and trout. Need to mfg a disc/stopper for this unit, too.

D.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:25 AM

Nice! You are styling now.

When are you planning on heading out?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:27 AM

You just came back from states your isolation is mandatory,stay the **** home selfish , using public facilities and gas pumps and who knows what else
Old 03-26-2020, 08:56 AM

Didn’t see that you’re in isolation sorry
Old 03-26-2020, 09:15 AM

For those who are concerned ... I'm following the new rules & will not be doing any fishin while I'm in jail doing my time.

Cheers

D.

Closed Thread