Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 07:09 AM

Default Problem Starting Eskimo Stingray auger

I have the 33 cc Stingray auger. It is new this year and used a few times but I am new to gas augers and having some trouble starting it. I have used a few times before and it will start but can be very finicky and I have started carrying my manual auger as a back up. I was out yesterday in -20 and it started on the 3rd or 4th pull so I drilled my first hole, then I laid it on it's side because I wanted to quickly check the depth before drilling more holes. It started sputtering and died so I was finally able to get it to start again and drilled 2 more holes and then died. After that I was only able to get it to turn over by priming it 1 or 2 times, but then it would chug for a bit and die, I would try to give it some gas which would help a bit but as soon as I took off choke it would die. Then because of priming it so much some gas was starting to leak. I am sure I am flooding it but that was the only way to even get the engine to turn over. Then when I laid it down some gas started leaking. I also use the premium mixed fuel which was recommended on a previous post. I finally gave up and went and got the manual auger. Any tips?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:23 AM

Adjusting the idle speed may be all that is necessary

If idle speed does not rectify the problem adjust low speed screw followed by adjusting the high speed screw, if the 33cc carb has both screws.

There are many online tutorials for doing this.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:01 PM

Sometimes I forget, is you vent open on your gas cap.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 PM

Check the vent on the gaz cap. When cold starting are you choke full on then pump the primer 3 to 5 times then pull twice and on the 3rd or 4th pull give it a bit of throttle. Have you checked to see if the spark plug is torqued to 18ftpounds. All things to check.

Gbuss