Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Default People billed for EMS rescue

So I was just wondering. If a hunter/hiker/ice climber/boaters/snowmobilers whomever are lost or injured and require EMS to respond to a remote area for rescue are they charged for the expenses? I would imagine it happens in some cases such as a skier or snowmobiler in a restricted area. Accidents happen but some of these situations the rescued people need to take responsibility for their poor choices and actions.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:27 AM

The latest Sundre rescue would be a good case for recouping expenses, but good luck with that.

Grizz
Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 AM

IM covered for$100,000 through my spot subscription.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:39 AM

I think I’m covered up to a certain amount with a Garmin Inreach subscription?
Old 04-05-2019, 11:09 AM

There is no cost to the person being rescued, or for the actual cost of the rescue. If you are taken to a road by the rescuers, RCMP etc and handed off to a ground ambulance for transport to a hospital then you are billed by the Ambulance company. If you have Blue cross it covers that cost. If you're taken by STARs there is no cost. If you are flown by Search And Rescue in a Helicopter then the RCMP eat that bill. The individual Search And Rescue groups don't bill the patient for any of their services. The SAR groups are reimbursed for mileage for their units from the RCMP at the Federal rate of .50/km for highway vehicles that's it. At today gas prices a trip from Rocky to Hummingbird pulling our enclosed trailer Rino etc, the mileage reimbursement doesn't cover the fuel we burn on those roads over that distance. The thought around charging has been thrown around across North America for a long time. The thought is that if the person thinks they will be getting a huge rescue bill they will wait until it's way too late to call for help, or their condition deteriorates significantly. This delay makes the task of Search And Rescue all the more difficult.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
There is no cost to the person being rescued, or for the actual cost of the rescue. If you are taken to a road by the rescuers, RCMP etc and handed off to a ground ambulance for transport to a hospital then you are billed by the Ambulance company. If you have Blue cross it covers that cost. If you're taken by STARs there is no cost. If you are flown by Search And Rescue in a Helicopter then the RCMP eat that bill. The individual Search And Rescue groups don't bill the patient for any of their services. The SAR groups are reimbursed for mileage for their units from the RCMP at the Federal rate of .50/km for highway vehicles that's it. At today gas prices a trip from Rocky to Hummingbird pulling our enclosed trailer Rino etc, the mileage reimbursement doesn't cover the fuel we burn on those roads over that distance. The thought around charging has been thrown around across North America for a long time. The thought is that if the person thinks they will be getting a huge rescue bill they will wait until it's way too late to call for help, or their condition deteriorates significantly. This delay makes the task of Search And Rescue all the more difficult.
Read an article the other day about a family in the states that needed an air transport to a better equipped hopistal. It was outside their insurance coverage and got a $40,000 bill. The author of the article stated that air transport is all private, for profit contracts now. I am ok with people getting the help they need if they are staring death in the face, without having to worry about a financially crippling bill after the fact. Rescue shouldn't be only for the rich.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
I've thought for a long time that there should be some sort of back country insurance or something. If you want to be out sledding, riding, hunting, etc and you need assistance and you're not insured then you pay the bill for your rescue.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:51 PM

There should be an allowance for this. I'm not suggesting a three strike rule. But poop happens. I've never needed SAR but then again I go prepared.

Everyone should get at least one chance. There have been many incidents over the past few years that have caused a search to be necessary like the one in Sundre. There has been high water on rivers swamping boats. A few fellows lost their lives out of Lac La Biche, and those fellows out of Fort Chipewyan that swamped their boat. None of these guys set out with the intent to have SAR come and look for them. No need to bill their estates for these rescues

Now if someone ignores a sign posting or a warning then they should be made to burden some of the expense garnered by their rescue. The portion not covered by the RCMP for example.

BW
Old 04-05-2019, 05:20 PM

UCP is proposing a trail fee and random camping fee and a portion would go to SAR groups. Jason Nixon has been very supportive of our team and he gets it. Local MLA'S have final say in who gets awarded community initiative grants. On our last grant for helicopter sling rescue gear it was looking pretty grim for us. The grant decision committee appeared to be the type that figured another town might need rainbow crosswalks and an LGBT safe space more than we needed critical sling gear for the West Country. Local MLA supported us on that grant!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 PM

Certainly the high-risk activities need some deterrence. We all hate gov interference, nanny state, big brother, etc., then go take risks our parents would kick our azz for.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-05-2019, 10:52 PM

They need to do something about the idiot's that won't stay in bound's, Whistler and the mountain's are a prime example, hey look man I got a free ride off the mountain under a helo, what a blast??? that's the one's that need to cough up some of the cost, Just my thought's.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:14 AM

I ride with my local SAR team and am good friends with both our coordinators. I do it because there are those that honestly need help and I have the skills and ability to help. We don’t charge for our rescues. Most are very greatful and will do something to show their thanks. Others have the gall to say they didn’t need help despite calling us. Rescue is just another service and yes if they are a repeat offender it would be nice to say ok your not getting it and keep putting others at risk so here have a big fat education coupon... aka bill!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Default I’m covered

I’m covered for a number of things as part of my local wildlife membership including search and rescue but doesn’t look like ems coverage

$5,000 Accidental Death & Injury Benefit while participating in fishing, hunting, shooting, archery and other Federation authorized outdoor activities. Includes Lyme disease diagnosis and travel expenses.
$5,000,000 Personal Excess Liability. Personal Limit (excess of any Primary Personal Liability) relating to hunting, fishing, and Federation authorized outdoor activities, for bodily injury or property damage which the member may be obligated to pay.
$4,000 Accidental Death Benefit for each member in good standing. This coverage is in effect 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world.
$500,000 US Liability Coverage – Defense expense is included.
$25,000 Search and Rescue Insurance Coverage.
$2,500 Lyme disease Indemnity for diagnostic expense
Old 04-06-2019, 10:15 AM

In instances where people simply get lost, or suffer break downs, they should be covered, but when people purposely go into closed areas, or are impaired by alcohol or drugs, and have incidents requiring search and rescue, they should pay at least a significant portion.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
I’m covered for a number of things as part of my local wildlife membership including search and rescue but doesn’t look like ems coverage

$5,000 Accidental Death & Injury Benefit while participating in fishing, hunting, shooting, archery and other Federation authorized outdoor activities. Includes Lyme disease diagnosis and travel expenses.
$5,000,000 Personal Excess Liability. Personal Limit (excess of any Primary Personal Liability) relating to hunting, fishing, and Federation authorized outdoor activities, for bodily injury or property damage which the member may be obligated to pay.
$4,000 Accidental Death Benefit for each member in good standing. This coverage is in effect 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world.
$500,000 US Liability Coverage – Defense expense is included.
$25,000 Search and Rescue Insurance Coverage.
$2,500 Lyme disease Indemnity for diagnostic expense
What is the name of your Wildlife membership? This seems like a good idea.

BW
Old 04-06-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
What is the name of your Wildlife membership? This seems like a good idea.

BW
Through my local fish and game club here in SK which gives us membership under the Sask wildlife federation and the as mentioned insurance. I also had a membership to Dawson Creek club last year so I could use the range while in town working which gave me a membership to the BC wildlife federation and the same insurance through them as well. Membership to my club in Nipawin is like $25 a year
Old 04-06-2019, 04:58 PM

Whenever I'm home I work on our local ambulance and we cover a very rural area. My first call ever was to rescue a couple of guys that got them selves into trouble out on the middle of a lake. Here in Yukon you are not charged for the ambulance or the rescue itself. Like others have said the RCMP cover that. I have been told they are going to start charging people costs in some situations but I dont know how true that is. Global Rescue is cheap and they will go anywhere and get you.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:15 PM

A friend busted his ankle badly 3 days ride back into the Willmore. Instead of riding out for 3 days they called Stars. My friend had to pay 3600.00. About 15 years ago.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-06-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
Through my local fish and game club here in SK which gives us membership under the Sask wildlife federation and the as mentioned insurance. I also had a membership to Dawson Creek club last year so I could use the range while in town working which gave me a membership to the BC wildlife federation and the same insurance through them as well. Membership to my club in Nipawin is like $25 a year
Thanks for the info

BW
Old 04-06-2019, 07:37 PM

I had a coworker last summer take his new jet boat out on the river last summer to go fishing. They went down the river instead of up river and ran out of gas coming back to the boat launch. They called 911 and I believe he got a $600 bill for them bring gas out to him. Was the only number they could connect to from their location.

I think I would agree that in some situations maybe the person should be billed if it's not needed or not following posted rules/closures.