Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 09:24 AM

Question...

What does everyone do with the coyotes after?
What you you keep that is worth while?

I recently acquired everything to start hunting coyotes.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 01-24-2021, 09:43 AM

Finally had one come in on my 13th set. Hung up at 300 without presenting a shot and never saw him after that. With this colder weather I’m optimistic. Learning a few new things here, appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
Question...

What does everyone do with the coyotes after?
What you you keep that is worth while?

I recently acquired everything to start hunting coyotes.

They can be worth a bit if you’re willing to put in the work and can handle the fur properly. I believe it is illegal to sell frozen whole dogs to anyone or green fur to anyone without a fur buyers license so beware of that. If there are those who don’t want to do anything with their dogs, I sure enjoy putting them up!

Old 01-24-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
They can be worth a bit if you’re willing to put in the work and can handle the fur properly. I believe it is illegal to sell frozen whole dogs to anyone or green fur to anyone without a fur buyers license so beware of that. If there are those who don’t want to do anything with their dogs, I sure enjoy putting them up!

Where did you get this info?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
It’s been abnormally warm weather for 6+ weeks. It’s no wonder they aren’t responsive to calls. I agree that they are becoming call shy in many of the easy to hunt areas.

Went out yesterday, since we had a weather system move in and the temps dropped off hard. Had great response to calls all day.

Changing your calling sequences up, having lots of patience and taking the time to travel to areas that aren’t hit so hard by other coyote hunters makes all the difference on the world.
Yes, yesterday was pretty good. Saw coyotes out and about darn near all day. I only got four good sets in. First was a blank. Second, some unreal mistakes on my part that I don’t care to divulge. Third, I pulled a big Tom for a long ways out. He didn’t run at all. Walked and trotted the entire distance to his demise. Fourth set I called in a pair of fox. I know there were coyotes north of me but I believe I wasn’t close enough for them to hear me. Anyway, the foxes finished unreal. Wish I had a camera with me. Sitting side by side on a snow drift with their tails curled around their feet and at full attention. Fox get the pass with me so just the one coyote but sets were 3/4 in producing action.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Where did you get this info?

Some found here under “sale of wildlife “

https://albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/t...ur-Seasons.pdf

Another tidbit here at bottom of pag

https://albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/t...egulations.pdf

More regs here

https://albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/t...Management.pdf

There are a few threads discussing these topics as well. Just google “selling coyote pelts Alberta “ or something of that nature.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=207542

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=335492

Old 01-24-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Yes, yesterday was pretty good. Saw coyotes out and about darn near all day. I only got four good sets in. First was a blank. Second, some unreal mistakes on my part that I don’t care to divulge. Third, I pulled a big Tom for a long ways out. He didn’t run at all. Walked and trotted the entire distance to his demise. Fourth set I called in a pair of fox. I know there were coyotes north of me but I believe I wasn’t close enough for them to hear me. Anyway, the foxes finished unreal. Wish I had a camera with me. Sitting side by side on a snow drift with their tails curled around their feet and at full attention. Fox get the pass with me so just the one coyote but sets were 3/4 in producing action.

How long do you sit for a cat to come in? I’m a bit far into the prairie for those..I’m jealous!

Old 01-28-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Some found here under “sale of wildlife “

https://albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/t...ur-Seasons.pdf

Another tidbit here at bottom of pag

https://albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/t...egulations.pdf

More regs here

https://albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/t...Management.pdf

There are a few threads discussing these topics as well. Just google “selling coyote pelts Alberta “ or something of that nature.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=335492

So anyone can sell whole, green or fully tanned coyotes. It hasn't changes the buyer needs a licence as has always been the case. My buyer has such a licence and I have sold tone of both whole and skinned dogs...all legal.
I understood from your post that it was illegal to sell whole dogs period. Btw martys a long time member and fur buyer has an add up about buying whole coyotes.....as long as the buyer has a licence it's all legal.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
So anyone can sell whole, green or fully tanned coyotes. It hasn't changes the buyer needs a licence as has always been the case. My buyer has such a licence and I have sold tone of both whole and skinned dogs...all legal.
I understood from your post that it was illegal to sell whole dogs period. Btw martys a long time member and fur buyer has an add up about buying whole coyotes.....as long as the buyer has a licence it's all legal.

Yep!misunderstanding. All good

Old 02-05-2021, 07:48 PM

Finally!!!!!
15 sets, learning and changing things up. Bought a new call, changed up the sequence, middle of breeding season, and a cold snap.
One after the other, each one sniffing around the previous one that went down. Shifted to another spot and had one more...4 in an afternoon was a pretty sweet day!
Think my biggest problem was my approaches to the bushes I’m calling into are way to exposed. They were busting me and disappeared before I ever sent out my first call. Changed that up!
Thanks to all the input on here!

Old 02-05-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
How long do you sit for a cat to come in? I’m a bit far into the prairie for those..I’m jealous!

Lol... My friends and myself refer to male coyotes as Tom’s. Or Thomas’ if we are feeling proper. Aside from the odd lynx that migrates down my way, the only felines around me are farm and house cats.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:50 PM

Congrats Abe, your perseverance paid off!
What new call did you use to seal the deal, shot distance and caliber on your Savage?
Old 02-06-2021, 07:25 AM

Female coyote, mixed in with squeaks and wines, savage is a .270...yes it’s perhaps big but it’s all I have! Using terminal ascent rounds, designed for bigger game so it doesn’t seem to reach full expansion on smaller game...small entry small exit...unless I hit bone.
All shots were 100 yards, except for the 4th coyote, I missed him at 200 (I got excited and held the wrong elevation hash on him, shot over him). But the call kept him in the area. Kept seeing crows swooping over one area of coulee so I got to wondering and slowly wandering over there, sure enough he takes off at 150. Dang it, opportunity two. But ghe way the coulee runs it ends up in a farm yard, so I figured theres a good chance he’s still in the coulee, so staying to the top I work my way down, and he pops up running full out. I drew a bead in front of his nose and rolled him at 100. That one felt good!

Old 02-06-2021, 08:02 AM

I am seeing coyotes pretty much daily in the last few weeks, many would be close enough to shoot, but they are either within city limits, or just outside city limits. I used to hunt the property just outside the city, but a new manager took over, and he no longer allows hunting.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:26 AM

Apparently, they were having a convention on my road the other night. I came home after a fresh snow fall and there was an area about 10 m around, solid coyote tracks.

Geizz
Old 02-06-2021, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info and right on Abe!
Old 02-06-2021, 12:27 PM

Default Coming hard

They are coming hard today. Called in 6 in 2 sets and killed 3 so far. First set was 2 and pulled a double. Next had 4 respond and only got a shot at one and it counted. All of them have just been flat out on the charge. Hope this continues all day. I really need a partner that is willing to brave the dirty cold. With two guys there’d be 5 in the box of the truck.