Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2021, 06:22 PM

Default Where oh where are the coyotes?

Anyone else having luck?
I’m only 3 for 10 attempts over several weeks. Is it just too warm?
The areas I’m in have highways of tracks, beaten down by coyotes.
Set up, either just peaking over the crest of a hill, or slip over and tuck into the bush.
Wind is crosswind, where I can see downwind.
Call, a fairly quiet cheap Bluetooth speaker, or a rabbit distress mouth call that can vary into squeaks. Usually start quiet, few howls, then distress for 3-5min, few more howls, then a different distress, slowly ramping up volume, 15-30mins per sit before moving...1-3hrs at a time.
3 dogs that way so I’m not complaining! But man it’s been a long dry spell since somethings moved.
The other night I had the whole country for 360 ringing with calls to my howls. Distress call, they shut up. Howl, they howled. Distress, they shut up. Did that for 40min without moving/coming in, till I ran out of light. Probably no more than 200 yards just over the rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2021, 07:30 PM

Been doing alright in my efforts. 3/10 isn’t awful. I had a stretch last winter where I didn’t call one in for 8 days or so if memory serves. I know I was well over 20 sets and nothing. Dirty cold too. It should have been magical but it wasn’t. Just miserable. Had a day like you describe about two weeks ago. First set, howled and the whole country lit right up. Not one gamer. Another set, saw a coyote go in before I did. Tracks everywhere. Nothing. Other days, it’s damn near self defence shooting there’s so many. Wish I had some answers for you but that’s just the way it goes sometimes.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:34 PM

You told us where the coyotes are but may not realize how many people are also calling the same area.Coyotes get smart in a real hurry. My recommendation is for you to move to a diferent location.There are also a lot of other variables that are affecting your success.Ive gone six coyotes for six sets and have also gone zero for six or more so dont despair.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:52 PM

Yeah this weather blows. Spotted 2 mousing out in a field the other day. Snuck in and they barely gave me a look no matter what I called at em with. Saw 11 coyotes yesterday before noon. Called from noon til dark and nothing showed. I think it's too warm and they are not overly food motivated and then breeding season hasn't got into full swing so they just don't feel the need to respond. With breeding season getting started hopefully howls will start to bring em in

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-11-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
You told us where the coyotes are but may not realize how many people are also calling the same area.Coyotes get smart in a real hurry. My recommendation is for you to move to a diferent location.There are also a lot of other variables that are affecting your success.Ive gone six coyotes for six sets and have also gone zero for six or more so dont despair.
^^^^^^^

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 AM

Guess I could mention Im on private land, as far as I know I’m the only one with access though I guess guys could be calling the next landowner over. I’ve switched locations every time so far, think I’ve only repeated one spot twice. I’ll keep plugging!

Old 01-12-2021, 08:00 AM

I usually sit for ~20 mins and pack up and try the next spot. I have never had a lot of success by starting with coyote calls. My go to is distress right off the bat and full volume. It's kind of a run and gun approach.

You're 3 for 10. That's not horrible at all! I go in streaks as well, as I am sure everyone not named Redfrog does too.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:19 AM

Having pretty good luck. I haven’t been shutout yet. But man, had to really change tactics this year. The same old sitting on the edge of a field in a crosswind blowing a rabbit call just isn’t working anymore.
Two weeks ago, we called in 11 on 4 sets, got 4. And we called in 4 on 2 sets the next day. Got 2. Should’ve had more but I’m hunting with my boys and we’re still getting things worked out! And on our wolf sets, we had a lone wolf answer us but he didn’t show. Sat for about an hour after it answered.
Gotta think outside the box. It’s not as easy as it used to be. If you think 20 minutes is enough, I’ve been sitting on average 45 minutes.
We call private and public land.
Good luck
Old 01-12-2021, 09:48 AM

It’s not as easy as it used to be.

Can't argue with that, everybody and his friend hunting coyotes will make them more wary.

Grizz
Old 01-12-2021, 06:30 PM

I quit using my fox pro a few years ago because of poor success and went back to mouth calls. With no snow and warm temps it’s pretty easy mousing right now for coyotes. Cold and snow and the success rate will improve.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:14 PM

Only did two sets today. Called in two and left with one. Both really took their time. 25+ min. Killed one at 182 yards while challenging me. The other never came closer than 400 or so and was coming no further. I believe it was one I called in and screwed up on 10 days ago.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I quit using my fox pro a few years ago because of poor success and went back to mouth calls. With no snow and warm temps it’s pretty easy mousing right now for coyotes. Cold and snow and the success rate will improve.
X2. Lots of mice this year and nowhere for them to hide.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-12-2021, 11:06 PM

Keep in mind your coming into the breeding season. The urine is really darkening up and they are chasing.
No one else calls up here in the deep bush so that’s not an issue. This time of year I switch to talking to them versus food sounds.
I called two out onto ice the other day, the female looked like a fox size, no hair due to mange. The male was real nice.
Cats get lethargic with warm winter weather, bird type distress seems more of a curiosity appeal call and works best.

Osky
Old 01-15-2021, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the comments and ideas.

Coyotes 11 (I think thats 11attempts) me 0.

There’s got to be at least one that will come into a call this winter. You know the one, too many generations of cousins on the family tree got together until he came out not too bright? He’s gotta be out there....
Think I’ve seen a mere handful of coyotes all winter all from the vehicle.

Maybe I need to invest in one of them fancy electronic calls...and a cow suite to blend in ....but for that you need money. For money I need to sell coyotes. To sell coyotes I need to call in and shoot coyotes. But to call them in I need fancier stuff....which costs money...which takes coyotes...hmmm... maybe a chewbacca costume would work...

Kept it quiet and tight tonight, mostly howls, female howls, mice squeaks and bird squeeks, only ramped up into louder rabbit distress after 30 min. Did 40 min in one set before my arse was so cold and wet I could sit still longer (forgot my pad) moved 1000 ish yards for the last 25 to call into a different hillside/bowl. I didn’t think I was very loud but the deer heard me 400 + yards away! I’ve been in the same general vicinities, I have limited land access after all, but different locations.
I’ll keep fighting the good fight.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post

There’s got to be at least one that will come into a call this winter. You know the one, too many generations of cousins on the family tree got together until he came out not too bright? He’s gotta be out there....

Maybe I need to invest in one of them fancy electronic calls...and a cow suite to blend in ....but for that you need money. For money I need to sell coyotes. To sell coyotes I need to call in and shoot coyotes. But to call them in I need fancier stuff....which costs money...which takes coyotes...hmmm... maybe a chewbacca costume would work...

Kept it quiet and tight tonight, mostly howls, female howls, mice squeaks and bird squeeks, only ramped up into louder rabbit distress after 30 min. Did 40 min in one set before my arse was so cold and wet I could sit still longer (forgot my pad) moved 1000 ish yards for the last 25 to call into a different hillside/bowl. I didn’t think I was very loud but the deer heard me 400 + yards away! I’ve been in the same general vicinities, I have limited land access after all, but different locations.

Spending more money won't necessarily put more fur in the shed. A decent howler, 2-3 distress and an squeaker is about all you need.. The rest is just fancy expensive stuff that won't call coyotes any better than your hand calls. I would suggest heading out after dark and driving by your spots and locate howl to confirm dogs are in the area. Breeding season is started so female howls and yips are money. You want to be hunting a dogs home turf. Submissive howls and kiyi's and female wimpers used properly will bring them for a look see. Keep at it you'll put the pieces together soon enough. The big thing is to make sequences that are real in a coyotes world.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post

At this point you just gotta keep grinding it out. I'm over 25 stands in 2 weeks with no coyotes coming into range. Have seen and heard a few but all of em uninterested or just while driving around. Have been using ECall with custom sounds handcalls , custom handcalls, decoys etc and nothing seems to be working.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:54 PM

I really think I’m on to something with the chewbacca suite idea....
Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep plugging

Old 01-16-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
It’s not as easy as it used to be.

Can't argue with that, everybody and his friend hunting coyotes will make them more wary.

Grizz

I agree, but for the reason most electronic callers used today all are similar in sound and most guys use them; and educating the coyote.

Back in the day, everyone had their own manual caller gizmo/set-up....And everything sounded different.....

I'll bet there are more coyote hunters now than back in the day (yes there are more people, not my point) and a lot are being shot.

Hmmmm?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I agree, but for the reason most electronic callers used today all are similar in sound and most guys use them; and educating the coyote.

Back in the day, everyone had their own manual caller gizmo/set-up....And everything sounded different.....

I'll bet there are more coyote hunters now than back in the day (yes there are more people, not my point) and a lot are being shot.

Hmmmm?
Coyotes are one of the most intelligent and adaptable animals out there. I used to see no shortage of them, when I first moved here, not so much any more and the ones I do see are very flighty. Tracks are still here, so I suspect they've become more nocturnal. Breeding season is starting, so they're moving more and becoming more vocal.

Grizz
Old 01-16-2021, 10:02 PM

I’ve totally had to change it up. Rabbit call not working on the foxpro. I find pup distress, then a flurry of crow calls peaks interest. Like was said, too many callers, yote hunters now. I’m waiting for cold and more snow before I go again. That’s when I get them coming in 4 or 5 at a time... which isn’t always the case of course I did have some honey holes though that can be wicked.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:11 AM

With coyote prices being where they have been the last few years, the ones that are around are more likely to be cautious or educated. Theres an inverse relationship between fur prices and the number of coyotes I see.

When its sub $30, theres coyotes everywhere. +$100 coyotes, if you see one its probably heading the opposite direction fast.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
At this point you just gotta keep grinding it out. I'm over 25 stands in 2 weeks with no coyotes coming into range. Have seen and heard a few but all of em uninterested or just while driving around. Have been using ECall with custom sounds handcalls , custom handcalls, decoys etc and nothing seems to be working.
Here is a man I have a TON of respect to coyote calling, it will come again,,, too many guys educatin them? so funny I did a stand , and got a shot... shame on me ,,,,, went down two miles and did another stand ...zero came back and there was a truck at my first call place n the exact place I called// they may have us figured out.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Here is a man I have a TON of respect to coyote calling, it will come again,,, too many guys educatin them? so funny I did a stand , and got a shot... shame on me ,,,,, went down two miles and did another stand ...zero came back and there was a truck at my first call place n the exact place I called// they may have us figured out.

Educating coyotes is a real thing. 15 years ago when I started calling none of the hunting stores even carried coyote calls and the clerks looked at me funny when I enquired about them. I found an E.l.k yote howler and pulled apart/ modified a deer grunt tube to use as distress call and my dogs chew toy for a squeaker. That year I shot 65 dogs. The next year some of the primos called started showing up on LGS shelves and I started buying and trying. My second year I got 120 dogs, third year 85. The following year I got married and had limited time out but still managed 48 coyotes. I spent hours studying and researching learning coyote vocalizations and crafting my skills. Then our first son was born and I pretty much shot 10-15/ year for me next few years because of lack of time... The thing was though looking back at my records those first few years I was running 90% on my stands then by year 5 I was down around 70% now it seems like I'm less than 20% for called in dogs vs stands set. This year so far I'm sitting at 10% .Everyone and their uncle are now out calling coyotes and the simple easy just sit down and blow a call tactics have had to change. New sounds new sequences are needed to consistently bring in coyotes. I haven't had the time to get after them like I want to but the last few years ,but With the difficulty level I know lots of " coyote " hunters who have just given up cause they can't seem to call any in. Secretly in hoping a bunch more will throw in the towel and remove some of the pressure lol. All that to say if you want to be a yote hunter it takes a lot of practice and skill and ability to adapt and change to figure out what will get you stand/ call percentage up.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:40 AM

Default Try these things

Hi: I have been having some challenges as well. I have added looking for tracks in the snow on the side of the road as well...kind of "game day" scouting. I like hunting the day after heavy winds and/or a storm that blows through.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Thanks! That means a lot coming from you! Everyone talks about others educating them and what grinds my gears in my situation is that unless people are tresspassing on my bosses land the only guy educating em is ME! I have many other landowners that may let people on but the ranch I work at has a fairly strict land access policy so I know when the coyotes are busting me when I call it's only my own dang fault they are educated.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:44 PM

I agree entirely about the quantity of people out calling and they’re used to hearing certain songs. But just because a coyote has come to a rabbit call(or other sound) and had a negative experience doesn’t mean he’s never going to come and investigate a rabbit distress call again. If it’s day to day or every couple days yeah, they will be onto that game. I try to have a two week time buffer between calling the same spots. But if I’m killing everything that responds, I may only leave that spot a week before calling again hoping new coyotes may be there. Sometimes it’s a bust and other times I’ll kill a double. I’ve been switching up the access routes and where I make stands with differing winds a lot too. Sometimes walking a mile or better for a new set vs the 300 yards I may have had to go previous. I don’t know if it’s making a huge difference in success rate or not but I’m stilling killing coyotes and I know for a fact I’m not the only one after them. I’ve also been using hand calls more and older ones. Olt 33, Larry Jones, Knight & Hale etc. Again, no idea if it makes a difference but the sounds are a bit different in pitch and tone, so maybe.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Thanks! That means a lot coming from you! Everyone talks about others educating them and what grinds my gears in my situation is that unless people are tresspassing on my bosses land the only guy educating em is ME! I have many other landowners that may let people on but the ranch I work at has a fairly strict land access policy so I know when the coyotes are busting me when I call it's only my own dang fault they are educated.
I try to think when I'm howling, I hear returns a mile to the south, one too the east, there has to be another a mile from the yote answering the one away from me, so we are out there a couple miles. We may have dogs answering each other that we can not even hear???/...Sorry to say but flame away.... my job takes me all over the wide prairie , its break time, and I try many different calls to see if I get a response. I cannot shoot them but looking for a response ,to take back to my area, with hope of success, Good luck to all, please give us some snow here and no wind!!!!

Old 01-22-2021, 07:33 AM

This year is no different than any other the dumb dogs gets shot first and by the 1st of February so many are educated that it becomes disappointed in discouraging to keep calling... couple that with the sheer number of hunters and callers these dyas compared to 35 years ago when I started the numbers are astounding...Foxpro is now played as regular as the aun coming up and dogs are on to it .. a good idea to quit anyways because the hides are usually done in most areas by Feb 1..keep some for seed guys .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2021, 08:08 PM

Been having a dry spell too for the last 2 weeks and 5 sets but finally this weekend I managed to find a couple active groups of dogs, called in 6 in 2 sets and went home with 3. 1st set was in the middle of the bush right in their bedroom, that was fast and furious. had 1 in my lap within seconds and 2 more running down the trail. 2nd set was calling over a deadpile with strictly howls and barks and manged to pull three out of the bush to 150 yards and got 2 of them.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:27 AM

It’s been abnormally warm weather for 6+ weeks. It’s no wonder they aren’t responsive to calls. I agree that they are becoming call shy in many of the easy to hunt areas.

Went out yesterday, since we had a weather system move in and the temps dropped off hard. Had great response to calls all day.

Changing your calling sequences up, having lots of patience and taking the time to travel to areas that aren’t hit so hard by other coyote hunters makes all the difference on the world.