Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default Jamie's Brown Bear hunt (new date)

Well after some mad scrambling on my end, we ended up moveing our Brown Bear hunt to April 28-May 8 THIS YEAR!!!
Man so much to do and so little time.

In talks with the outfitter, he has had a few openings. So he lowered the cost of the hunt if we move.

Now I was going to pay $16,900 for spring 2009.
New price is....
$11,000. BIG saveings.
He is also looking for one more person to go on our trip. If anyone is interested, please get in touch.

I have done my research on this guide and am very comfortable with my choice. He was recomended by the biggest and the best in Alaska.

This will be a boat based hunt out of SE Alaska.
Average size should be 8 1/2 to 9'
WOW so much to do.. I gota get going.
The training starts in 5 minutes. Start off tonight with a nice mile long walk and move up the pace over the next while. (Its been a LOOOONG Winter)
I will not be able to take my gun, but I am still planning on doing as much banging as I can over the next month.

I need to find some rubber boots asap.
Also I need a video cam and a small digital
Clothes, I need clothes....

Crap I am late for my walk.
LOLOLOLOL

Jamie
Old 03-22-2008, 07:24 PM

Jamie....

You can borrow my video cam if you'd like.....very small Panasonic that films very well........so long as it comes back in the same condition, its yours to borrow if you want.....you supply the tapes and let me watch!! heh

Get out and enjoy the training....are you planning on doing some hiking with a pack on in the next couple weeks when you build up there? I find that even carrying a light load will really help your training go a long ways...

Man I wish I had that kind of cash laying around...I would be all over a hunt at that price!!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:57 PM

cant wait to hear the stories and see the the pics when you get back man am i jelous good luck and be safe
Old 03-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

Rack, just got back. 30 minutes for a mile...
SLOWWWW. But that was with a stop so Willy could get his Flames medalion.
The kid is nuts for the flames.
No packs for a week or so.
Once I get the mile down to 20 min, I can look at some extra wieght.
On the caribou hunt, I put in all the heavey stuff I could find. I think I used Bottels of Anti freeze and a brick.
Last week will be down in Fish creek, up and down the sides. Right now is nothing but flat.

I have 5 weeks from tommorow. I am going to put together a bit of a schedual.
This whole thing feels so rushed right now....
I know Dad is pulling his hair out down south, but it will all come to pass and we will get to Alaska, and we will hunt the Brown Bear!

What a dream!
As for you Video Cam, I would hate to take it out to the ocean, the salt water will kill it. I am going to start looking in some Pawn shops and see what I can come up with.

Jamie
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

As for you Video Cam, I would hate to take it out to the ocean, the salt water will kill it. I am going to start looking in some Pawn shops and see what I can come up with.

Ya cool with me....never thought of that.....you can prob find some really good deals on ebay as well if ya keep your eyes out....
Old 03-22-2008, 08:28 PM

Jamie

Why/aren't you taking your gun?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Sounds like you are pumped and I can tell why.. Best of luck on the trip Jamie I truly hope you have a great time,, be safe and good luck man...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:53 PM

Default awsome

hahaha thats awsome jamie, i can just see you there right now.
Go get em buddy, you have been dreaming and typing this hunt for two years now and now its moved up a year. gonna happen fast james just remember to sit down when your there and take a deep breath and enjoy your dream. slinger.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 PM

Default rubber boots....

check out Viking rubber boots....i wore them when i was running chokers on vancouver island. Get a couple pairs of booties for them too. Most comfortable rubber boots ive ever worn.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Banned

The reason I am not takeing my gun is the fact i dont have my Form 6 done to import my rifle into the staes. The web site says 6-8 weeks.. I have 5.
The Outfitter has 10 guns that I can chose from.
No problem with buying a few boxes of shells up there and doing some banging on our fly in day.

I just recieved a Email from a friend who has hunted all over the world, he says try and get my form in.. I might get lucky.
But, do I take the chanceon buying a new scope that might never get used..
I do have a 3-9x40 Varix 2 on my gun right now....

So many choices, so little time.
I also kind of like the idea of not flying up there with a gun. It is a bit of a pain and who knows if it will get there. I have 4 different planes to get on before I get to the lodge.

I need Rubber Boots that are WIDE! I have a 4e foot. They also need to have wide tops as I have fat calves . Outfitter says bring something with a Air Bob Sole.

Rain gear is getting ordered tommorow.
Any suggestions guys? Remember it it needs to come on 2x or 3x. Probably 3x to get over the clothes... (Better than the 5x it used to be )

Hockey game is back on..

Jamie
Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 PM

I doubt you can get your form 6NIA in 5 weeks... Last time I renewed mine it took more than 5 weeks. You'll also need a copy of your AK hunting lic to send in with it. Trip sounds awesome though!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Banned

AB, I was afraid of those complications.
Its not a huge deal, as I cant do anything about it, so I will make the best of it.
In speaking with my guide, he says he has a great 300 WM for me. He calls it the gun of death.. Everything shot with it has died.

Fishing will be a little week, but he says we can chase some wolves if we tag out early. He keeps pushing the black bear.. But this is a Brown Bear hunt.

Jamie

BTW. I dont think you ned the Lic. It wont hurt, but is not neccasary. (Acording to the nice lady on the phone when I set dad up) That is another possibility as well dad has his 300RUM on his form 6 and he has allways planned on borrowing a guides gun..) Perhaps I should take his in and get it tricked out then I could just use that one...
Old 03-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Wow, good deal Jamie! Nice that you could be flexible enough to make that happen on such short notice. Good luck with the adventure, look forward to the story.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:55 AM

Jamie,

Go with the Lacrosse ALPHABURLY SPORT INSULATED.They are very durable,warm and have a wide insole for your grizzly bear feet.Also If you have big calves then you will love the the adjuster at the top of the boots that help prevent rubbing or pinching.

Gl and i can't wait to see your pics.

Jeff
Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM

Good Luck Jamie. Can't wait to hear the story after.

ps. Anyone else think that when you get a discount on a hunt, then the difference becomes the seed for another hunt? I mean that should work with the wife right? Its $6000 that we already thought was spent... might as well chase a caribou! ha ha ha
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Wow Jamie! Since you won't be sleeping at all in the next 5 weeks, spend a little time getting to know your cameras, as well; because we are all going to want to see pics and video. Have an awesome adventure! And, if you are going to fly in a Super Cub, check out these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cubdriver749er
Old 03-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Have a good hunt Jamie! Look forward to seeing the results.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Jamie good luck and have fun. Are these Alaska brown bears? Just wondering because I thought they were more than an 8-9 foot avererage?
Old 03-23-2008, 04:13 PM

Hey jamie take a look at the helly hansen rain gear its freakin awesome, you can get a couple different types and it wont let you down
Old 03-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

Nube. Yes they are Alaskan Brown bear.
A good bear anywhere in Alaska is 9 feet a great bear is 10. I kinda of think of it this way. A 9' bear is equal to a 170-180 MD a 10" bear = a 200" MD.
Sure they are out there, but you have to do a ton of looking and get lucky or just get VERY lucky.

They talk bears in SQFT, Where as I talk bears in length (Alberta Bears). The square is usually about 6" more then the length.

Lots of storys out there.. Lots of guides over estamate bears in order to garner more Biz. Its tough to find a outfitter who plays it straight up in that regard.

BTW I made a trip to Wholesales today.. Nada on the boots, but I managed to find a nice thick shirt and some insulated/Windproof pants. Its tough finding things in my size, e3specially if your looking for something specific. But I have made it through before and I am sure I will be fine on this hunt.
My hunting jacket has lasted me 6 years and only now I find that the seems leak. I have managed to wear that thing in the worst possible conditions on the west coast. I think its time for a replacement. I still have my Columbia rain paints from my caribou hunt, so they will be comming with me. They worked like a charm in that driveing rain. I am not sure what I am going to get, but I will look harder on Monday. Wholesales did not have any in a size or at the price I wanted. Man that SITKA gear is expensive!
After a bit of consideration, I am leaning towrads takeing my Dads 300RUM. He has it listed on his form 6. So while I was at wholesales I tried to get shells. I wanted the 200 grain Aframes. Unfortunatly they did not have any, but they say the Edmonton store does, so they will bring them down for me. The cost jumped 30%, but I still have plenty of 180's for practice.

I am going to take my scope off its a 3-9Varix2 and put it on dads gun. I dont think I have the time to order that 1-5 setup and wholesales didnt have them. I am also going to take his gun in and have the trigure adjusted to my specifictions.

Gota find some boots, I am still searching the net. I might get dad to stop at Cabelas and try and get me a pair, If they dont fit, you will see them up here for sale.
Rubber insulated gloves are easy to find in Sitka, so i will be buying some small gear there.

I want to do a inventory, but I can not get into my house till next weekend.

Well I am off for my walk.. This time before dinner. Perhaps that will make me a bit more speedy

Jamie
Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

7mm
I couldbt get Helly in my size, but I did find a rubber Carhart jacket that fits really nice at Work warehouse.. I just dont really want to go with rubber.
But it might do in a pinch along with my regular jacket.

BTW They had 7 or 8 racks of clothes on sale at Wholesales.. Then they announced a further 30% off. Some good saveings today.

Jamie
Old 03-23-2008, 06:32 PM

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Cabelas an hour away?!?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM

Jamie a guy I know up here owns a company called Job Site workwear. They have a store in Cowtown. I got 3 xl stuff there alreeady. I am 6'5 350 so I feel your pain. Also try Bass Pro I have been buyn all my oversize shtuff there. Reasonable priced too. Lemme know if I can Help
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Kanon, thanks for the heads up. I will look into it.

well flights are booked, its not a bad schedual. Thank god for Airmiles. That saved us each approx $800
I have some things that I have asked Dad to pick up. #1 is my boots.. (PRAY THEY FIT!) #2 is something called Smart Wool socks. I hate being cold. I have been thinking perhaps a guy is better to get a knee length rubber coat. That seems to be the garmet of choice up that way.

Final decsion has been made on takeing my gun.. I cant find the Ammo I want, so I will use the guides gun. Besides, he has a better scope than I do. he has the one I wanted to buy.

My back was a bit sore this Am from that walk last night. But nothing to worry about. Gota hit it again tonight. Its exactly 1 mile return from here to the Esso. It works out good as Willy needs his flames Medalion every night.

Jamie
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Default awosme

james i have used the guides or outfitters gun or 3 of my hutns also, you will be just fine, and remember to enjoy it with your dad, dont rush him or you, this is a trip of a lifetime, its comign up fast and will go by fast, once there relax and enjoy the trip. a positive attitude and a relaxed guide is a happy guide.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM

Jamie you might want to talk to CMFIC 1. He just went last year and is a friend of mine. If you can't get a hol of him on here I am sure he wouldn't mind if I gave you his number. He might be able to help you decide a little more on things he took and things that he wished he would have had. I know he was raving about his sleeping bag which was from Integral Designs in Calgary. It was good and warm even when wet.
I also have a 4X scope. Leupold if you need a scope to borrow.
Make sure you take a video camera and lots of pictures
Old 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

Nube, thanks for the offer. It is most appreciated. Getting in touch with CMFIC is on my list, if you could PM me his number that would be great.

CM did a hardcore hunt on the peninnsula of Alaska. He fought some UGLY weather and had to do it from the comfort of a tent.
Our hunt is considered a Gentlemens hunt. We will be Boat based and lodge based. All sleeping will be done in a 35 foot boat, complete with kitchen, showers and a "family" room. It also has tv's and DVD players.
No sleeping bag is needed.
Both Dad and I will be guided one on one. One hunter on the big boat and one hunter takes off in a skiff.. You cruise the shore lines looking for a acceptable bear, beach the boat and try and make your stalk.
As you can see our hunt will not be near as rough, CM 's was a tough one!
If I didnt have dad with me, I would have probably looked at something along the lines of what CM did. However I am more than happy to try this way. Someday I really want to try it out on the Peninnsula.
This hunt will be very relaxing and a ton of fun. I cant wait till I get up there and hopefully I have the ability to watch dad shoot his bear.

Jamie
Old 03-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned

Well I managed to get my time down by 30 secs tonight.
My shins were really hurting though.

I took brown Bears advice and have decided to have a look at the "Burlys"
for my rubber boots.

Gunslinger, you are absolutly right about the gun thing. I feel better even now knowing what I am going to do.
I am going to have to ask a friend of mine if it is allright if I bang off a box of shells through his 375. I will also be takeing a slip on LIMBSAVER pad in case I dont like the kick.

Jamie
Old 03-24-2008, 11:53 PM

Jamie, as much as I need it, it doesn't matter now. I am officially sending every last once of my hard earned 'good karma' surplus your way! I know how much this hunt means and I hope that you and your Dad are sucessful and have a safe and fantastic time. If there is anything I cand help ya with, drop me a PM. What a price for what a hunt! I'm excited too. Take care.

Tree
Old 03-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

Thanks Tree, I appreciate the good wishes.
I do have one thing you can help me with.. The TAXIDERMY COST!! Holy doodle batman. $220 a foot for a rug, $3600 for a full size.. OUCH OUCH OUCH!! Though I respect what my Taxi guy has done, he has never done a Broen Bear in full size. I would hate not to be loyal.. BUT????
Well I will deal with that problem at that time.

As for my walking/running schedual. I was going to go tonight, but my shins are killing me. Perhaps one night off would be a good thing or perhaps a slow walk, just to get moveing. I think they hurt due to the fact I have thrown a block or 2 of jogging into the mix.

I got word from my friend today that I am more than welcome to come on out and shoot his 375. We are going to try and hook up on Sunday. I was thinking Saturday out at Alford Lake.

Going to buy some rain gear tonight I think

Jamie