Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Default Normark/Husqvarna Auger

I just purchased a new Normark power drill from Wholesale Sports last weekend. I went to Lac La Nonne yesterday and tried it out for the first time. What an amazing ice drill! It weighs only 22 pounds and has adjustable ergonomic handles. The ice was 30 inches thick and it drilled 8 inch holes in 26 seconds, without having to push down on it! All I had to do was hold it in place and it cuts at a smooth consistent rate. We timed a couple holes with me pushing down and they were 22 seconds. I have personally owned a Jiffy and an Eskimo auger in the past and they dont even compare. My wife still wont let me forget i paid $750 for it, but as far as i am concerned it was worth every penny and this one will last me a lifetime! Does anyone else have one of these augers or tried one? What are your thoughts?

P.S. 8 inch Eskimo auger for sale, $100
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Have to agree with you. I used a friend's Husqui and was amazed by it's performance and weight. Really loved it but, at more the double the price, I had to go for the Eskimo. So I drill for a few more seconds per hole...I'm still going to be fishing!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
I just purchased a new Normark power drill from Wholesale Sports last weekend. I went to Lac La Nonne yesterday and tried it out for the first time. What an amazing ice drill! It weighs only 22 pounds and has adjustable ergonomic handles. The ice was 30 inches thick and it drilled 8 inch holes in 26 seconds, without having to push down on it! All I had to do was hold it in place and it cuts at a smooth consistent rate. We timed a couple holes with me pushing down and they were 22 seconds. I have personally owned a Jiffy and an Eskimo auger in the past and they dont even compare. My wife still wont let me forget i paid $750 for it, but as far as i am concerned it was worth every penny and this one will last me a lifetime! Does anyone else have one of these augers or tried one? What are your thoughts?

P.S. 8 inch Eskimo auger for sale, $100
I have a 10" power drill for work. The motor is fantastic but I really hate the normark/lazer style of blade. It is a little underpowered for a 10" hole, but the thing will idle in -40 until it runs out of gas. I would highly recommend NOT pushing down on the auger while drilling as it is easy to warp the blades.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Default Congrats on your purchase

I never looked at the Husqy Augers when I bought my new one a few weeks ago...I ended up getting the Eskimo 71cc 10" and so far seems like a good auger, cuts 30" in about 15-18sec...you definitely are better off on the weight advantage as mine weighs 20lbs more...lol
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 AM

I have had mine for a few years now and love it. It might not cut a fast a the others out there but it is very light compared to the rest. So when you punching 10-20 holes for the group it is not a drag. The best thing I like about it is how quiet it is. Not sound like a 2 stroke dirt bike like the jiffys. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM

I like mine too now that I got some issues figured out (used) I now have it back in tip top shape and it's slick!
I like how easy it starts, how quiet it idles, how light it is and even though it might not be the fastest auger out there it is still really fast, because of the husqvarna chainsaw engine it will run laying on its side or even upside down.

Wholesales price was / is fantastic on sale for $709 I belive right now for a 8 inch from a regular price of around $850
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Its definately not going to be as quick as the big Eskimos, but they ease of use more than makes up for it. I only tried 2 holes pushng down to see how quck it would go, but will definately just let the auger do the work from now on! Does anyone use the AMS oil saber professional 100:1 mix? I use ams oil in everythng else so i'm definately going to use it on this thng! However, im not sure about the 100:1 ratio, my manual says use 50:1 with Husqvarna oil. i tried the ams oil at first at that ratio and it seemed to run a little boggy, and was spitting a small amount of oil out of the exhaust. I changed it to 90:1 and it seemed to run better (also used premium gas from the start) any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 PM

A little oil coming out the exhaust is a good thing! I like the husky oil I run it in all my huskys and stilhs I like the little bottles that mix 5 liters perfect.