Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Default Bow Tuning

I'm getting tired of paying other people to tune my bows. Is there anywhere that offers a course on bow tuning. I'd like to get my own bow press and be able to be self sufficient. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM

go to archerytalk, in the general archery discussion there is a sticky called "the nuts and bolts of archery"

its a huge pdf thatll get you started
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
go to archerytalk, in the general archery discussion there is a sticky called "the nuts and bolts of archery"

its a huge pdf thatll get you started
Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM

this may help on here also...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=165209

Neil
Old 03-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the help - was looking for the same info.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 PM

check out youtube they have videos on everything you need to know on how to set up your bow and tune it
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 AM

If you wanted to take a course, PSE offers one but its in Arizona. The course it's self is only a couple hundred bucks, but you'll have to cover the flights, accommodations, transport etc....

Stik'em
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Although the course that PSE has is outstanding, I took it 25 yeras ago..
plus some other major brand bow courses...but that is out of reach for most...

So the first step is to get a decent press, and with some awesome info out there like mentioned above, one just has to get doing stuff, find an older bow if you are scared to use your own...and strip it down completely...inspect it carefully, clean it up and reasemble to exact manufaurers specs, then comes the tuning...but understanding how a bow really works helps ten fold when it comes to tuning..

an issue a shooter has with a high left tear on paper that is causing him to pull his hair out, can be solved by simply coaching a proper grip and follow thru or one simple twist on a yoke.

It like riding a bike, once you get on to it, try it, understand it...its easy

JMHO

Neil
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM

I posted up and offered a course on bow tuning, basically everything you can do without a bow press and priced it out so that it included all the necessary equipment and had mediocre response so I cancelled it.

Most of the tuning that is required is done without a bow press.... The only real reason to use a bow press is for changing strings, cams, or major work... or taking out a cam lean but even that with proper technique can be done!... pretty much everything else can be done without a press.

there are some tasks a press does make easier... but not trhat hard to do without a press with proper tools and technique.

Most of it is really knowing how to tie proper knots.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I posted up and offered a course on bow tuning, basically everything you can do without a bow press and priced it out so that it included all the necessary equipment and had mediocre response so I cancelled it.

Most of the tuning that is required is done without a bow press.... The only real reason to use a bow press is for changing strings, cams, or major work... or taking out a cam lean but even that with proper technique can be done!... pretty much everything else can be done without a press.

there are some tasks a press does make easier... but not trhat hard to do without a press with proper tools and technique.

Most of it is really knowing how to tie proper knots.
Not trying to disagree with you Nekred...

However the #1 reason beginners bows are so out of tune... is their strings, They are well broke in..and they are stretched ...which in turn alters badly the draw length, poundage of bow, ATA, BH, Idler lean and most importantanly the Cam timing or alinement as well as other factors..

The #1 step in tuning a bow is bringing bow back to manufacturers specs...which means you need a press...

To try tune a bow that has badly stretched strings is like putting lipstick on a pig...lol

IMHO Once a bow has been Bow spec tuned is where your course would come in...the knowledge to match arrows, set up rests, peeps nock point, loops, walkback, paper tune, form etc...all very important but dont need a press !!!

JMHO
Neil