Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

Default dialing in bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep6matt View Post
Actually this is the last grouping of the night, other one was about halfway thru the evening.
I'm no pro or anything, but I'm pretty sure you're not done sighting in that 15yd pin if your last pic is of the groups you are shooting with it. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck, cheers.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
I'm no pro or anything, but I'm pretty sure you're not done sighting in that 15yd pin if your last pic is of the groups you are shooting with it. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck, cheers.
Actually it is shooting a bit to the right quite consistently, I have sight almost maxed out to the right so kinda scratching my head on that. Last night's groupings were much tighter.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Keep6mat......I am enjoying your enthusiasm towards bow hunting. It's nice to see. There is nothing like the feeling of getting in close. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
Keep6mat......I am enjoying your enthusiasm towards bow hunting. It's nice to see. There is nothing like the feeling of getting in close. Good luck!
Thanks Sako, I absolutely love this new found hobby, itching for the work day to be over with so I can go shoot more arrows after work
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Yup Moosetalkers post is the perfect example why you should shoot with full gear...I shoot every year starting now in full gear once a week or so...

I practice out to 70 yards ...but average is 40 to 50 yards...

Neil
Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Yup Moosetalkers post is the perfect example why you should shoot with full gear...I shoot every year starting now in full gear once a week or so...

I practice out to 70 yards ...but average is 40 to 50 yards...

Neil
Neil, do you find that out at that yardage as you stated that the animal may become spooked because of bow release noise thus resulting in a bad hit? Is that a factor one should consider? I just want to soak in as much as possible as for making sure if I do get a vital area shot I want to make sure it counts.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Default my 30 yard grouping last night

Here is my 30 yard grouping last night, getting better with more practice, its coming along
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130717_214410.jpg (32.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM

I would have to say I do not have a typical distance. This would depend on the set up and how i am hunting spot and stalk, tree stand etc. I would say most stands put me in the 20-30 yard range. I would not shoot past 50 yards at this time but that is just based on my personal experience. Closest kill shot was 8 yards though.

Last edited by SportHuntingHelp; 07-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep6matt View Post
Neil, do you find that out at that yardage as you stated that the animal may become spooked because of bow release noise thus resulting in a bad hit? Is that a factor one should consider? I just want to soak in as much as possible as for making sure if I do get a vital area shot I want to make sure it counts.
Back in the day when bows were 100 FPS slower that was an issue...with the 300+ FPS bows of today... bow release noise is rarely an issue unless the animal is already seriously spooked and on springs.....some issues may... like extreme helical vanes...as they are slightly noisier

.one can tell and regulate distance accordingly...

If the animal is relaxed it is not an issue, I have taken animals further than 70 yrds and they go down as fast as a proper placed arrow at 20 yards..

I have String whiskers on my bow and it is stealth

Neil
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM

Thanks Neil, I appreciate your insight.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 AM

Just to add to neils post, practice at distance, 70-100 yards if you can. You may never take a shot that far out but it sure makes 30 yards look and feel like a chip shot. The longer ranges will also force you to focus on proper form as any imperfections will be magnified at longer distances.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Banned

My average on 7 muley bucks is I think 41 yards with pretty even spread between 20 and 57, does and whitetails will be closer likely just inside 30 yard average over dozens of kills.

Oops wrong thread average distance thread please
Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
Just to add to neils post, practice at distance, 70-100 yards if you can. You may never take a shot that far out but it sure makes 30 yards look and feel like a chip shot. The longer ranges will also force you to focus on proper form as any imperfections will be magnified at longer distances.
Actually funny you say that because this last weekend I was practicing from 30 to 70 yards out and yeah at the longer distances you do become very conscious of form and staying as steady as possible. Any imperfection at those long range shots resulted in very inaccurate shots I noticed. Thats all I did for most of the weekend was shoot arrows at various distances.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 PM

The way I have found my max distance is. Everytime I go out to the range I test for my most accurate precise shot first draw. I will set up like I'm on a animal at a far distance and lwt er fly. If I am not within 2-4" of my intended center then I know I am shooting too far. I do this because when I'm hunting its my first shot (most the time) that will be put into the animal and not my 50th after a good warmup, some nice groups, bad groups lol and I'm getting tired or in my rhythm. This is what I have come up in my head as the way I hunt and it works awesome for me. I've been able to consistantly make my first shot placements to further distances this way and I would be confident on a 75yd shot ***if the wind is calm, I'm calm, the animal isn't aware that I'm there and there's nothing between my bow and the animal to change my flight path. I know many ppl will say that's not ethical or reasonable but in my head it is. I think I've put enough practice in for it.
But again. Most my bow kills are 10-30yds with my furthest being 47rds.
So I'm not sure if this method would aid anyone but I love trying new techniques from other guys.
Cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

Find a good 3d range and hit it often. Dont just shoot from the pins if you are allowed to. Shoot multiple stand kneeling sitting, pack in a treestand if they allow it. I am so spoiled, we have a 50m animal range open 2 nights a week and like nobody on it on the side of a mountain.

Shoot your broadheads too. You will need to resight in once you switch to your broadheads. I use old school Muzzy's (they have killed a lot of stuff for me so why switch) and they come with an unsharpened set of practise blades.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM

..Good idea...We have a simular solution here at our club...

He is called "BooBoo the bear" he is 3/16 inch sheet metal...with a generous kill zone...

I ask people what yardage they are efficent at...if they say 60 yds...I say come with me...and set up BooBoo at 60 yards.."PINGGGG"

So whats your efficent distance...set it up at 50 yd ..."PINGGG"...yup better think again ...lol

I have had guys go thru a half dozen arrows at where they said they could shoot...ha ha...I have bear bait barrel by the tripod tree stand and bear 3D targets and its half full of arrows...lol...some mine...lol

We call this a " BooBoo Flower " ....what most arrows look like if you miss that big kill zone

...it humbles a few shooters and is a great lesson for others..

Neil
Old 07-25-2013, 03:52 PM

..Good idea...We have a simular solution here at our club...

He is called "BooBoo the bear" he is 3/16 inch sheet metal...with a generous kill zone...

I ask people what yardage they are efficent at...if they say 60 yds...I say come with me...and set up BooBoo at 60 yards.."PINGGGG"

So whats your efficent distance...set it up at 50 yd ..."PINGGG"...yup better think again ...lol

I have had guys go thru a half dozen arrows at where they said they could shoot...ha ha...I have bear bait barrel by the tripod tree stand and bear 3D targets and its half full of arrows...lol...some mine...lol

We call this a " BooBoo Flower " ....what most arrows look like if you miss that big kill zone

...it humbles a few shooters and is a great lesson for others..

Neil
Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymarriott View Post
The way I have found my max distance is. Everytime I go out to the range I test for my most accurate precise shot first draw. I will set up like I'm on a animal at a far distance and lwt er fly. If I am not within 2-4" of my intended center then I know I am shooting too far. I do this because when I'm hunting its my first shot (most the time) that will be put into the animal and not my 50th after a good warmup, some nice groups, bad groups lol and I'm getting tired or in my rhythm. This is what I have come up in my head as the way I hunt and it works awesome for me. I've been able to consistantly make my first shot placements to further distances this way and I would be confident on a 75yd shot ***if the wind is calm, I'm calm, the animal isn't aware that I'm there and there's nothing between my bow and the animal to change my flight path. I know many ppl will say that's not ethical or reasonable but in my head it is. I think I've put enough practice in for it.
But again. Most my bow kills are 10-30yds with my furthest being 47rds.
So I'm not sure if this method would aid anyone but I love trying new techniques from other guys.
Cheers
I do something similar, shoot 3 arrows at my furthest distance and see how I do first off....if I can group well and on the mark without a warm up then it's a good start.

Last time I hit the range I tried 3 in a row at 60yards, this is after I removed all of my 3D stabilizer and v-bar and put on what I will be hunting with.....man was the bow lighter without the 3D hardware!

LC