Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Default Fletching contact?

Just got my arrow shafts re fletched with blazers.got a new biscuit insert too an got it dialed back in on 20 yrds.when I release my arrow it looks like it takes almost the whole 20 yrds to stabilize?what does this mean.shooting a Z7 at 68 lbs,340 shafts
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Are you shooting the arrows cock feather up? The bottom most whiskers on the rest are stiffer than the others....so you must shoot your arrows cock feather up and centered.

LC
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Whisker

If your rest has some black whiskers at the bottom with the rest of them being brown, make sure that none of your vanes go through the black ones, they are stiffer. Cheers Roscoe
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Did you install the proper size buisket?i believe theres 3 different sizes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:56 PM

you might half to adjust your rest, if you have a range that you can paper test on that will help a lot
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 PM

Default Thanks!!

thanks guys I will check all of that out!!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Here is my thoughts,DON'T shoot a biscuit! Poorest quality rest out there. Goes against just about all bow/rest/arrow dynamics. Leave the biscuits for the kids & shoot a REAL rest! Imo
Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitexlr View Post
Here is my thoughts,DON'T shoot a biscuit! Poorest quality rest out there. Goes against just about all bow/rest/arrow dynamics. Leave the biscuits for the kids & shoot a REAL rest! Imo
Don't listen to this clown, if you could see how he shoots you would never take advice from him. WB is just fine despite what the haters think. I'm sure lost arrows will comment soon and help you out.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 AM

When you say it takes almost 20 yards for the arrow to stabilized, what is the arrow doing in those first 20 yards. If you are a right hand shooter and the nock is left, could be your draw length is too long.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
Don't listen to this clown, if you could see how he shoots you would never take advice from him. WB is just fine despite what the haters think. I'm sure lost arrows will comment soon and help you out.
I don't hate WB but I agree with him. For the best, most consistent arrow flight, there are many other styles of rests have better designs.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM

I have the proper size insert for the carbon shafts.ive been told by a few guys not to shoot a biscuit but I've shot many a tight groups with it an like the idea of my arrow never goin anywhere once it's in there.i shot 30 yrds lastnight an was quite happy with how straight all the arrows were stuck in the target.alot better than the old fletching on the arrows would have ever done.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
lol...Thats funny...shot more hoods and two triple hoods with hunter tackle and a Ugly cookie [WB] than anyone I know as a testament to the WB ..

Set a QAD drop away and a WB in a Hooter Shooter...Mecanical bow shooter..they are equal as far as accuracy is concerned..

And the WB doesnt have 22 moving parts and cords to malfuction..

To each their own... but that statement is pure ignorance...however I will respect your opinion as silly as it is..

My opinion is that it is the best hunting rest out there...

JMHO
Neil
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
lol...Thats funny...shot more hoods and two triple hoods with hunter tackle and a Ugly cookie [WB] than anyone I know as a testament to the WB ..

Set a QAD drop away and a WB in a Hooter Shooter...Mecanical bow shooter..they are equal as far as accuracy is concerned..

And the WB doesnt have 22 moving parts and cords to malfuction..

To each their own... but that statement is pure ignorance...however I will respect your opinion as silly as it is..

My opinion is that it is the best hunting rest out there...

JMHO
Neil
X2.

I don't shoot a WB anymore. Got talked into a Trophy Taker a few years back and eventually to a QAD Ultra. Lately I have shot the Rip Cords. They are all great rests, but go to a 3D tournament and tell me what the factory shooters are running for rests.....not drop aways. The reason why is that they can fail. Nearly all the "pros" are shooting launcher style.

Back to the WB. If I really think hard about it I know that I shot more game and maybe a few more "hoods" with the dang thing. Not sure why I changed.

Maybe I need to find one and get someone to help me set it up
Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Who's the clown? IMO, from the limited time I wasted on a WB is they are garbage. ditch it and buy anything else, the wiskers wear and change your tuned bow virtually every shot.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Can't stand buiscuits. QAD is my prefered rest.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Who's the clown? IMO, from the limited time I wasted on a WB is they are garbage. ditch it and buy anything else, the wiskers wear and change your tuned bow virtually every shot.
You can put tassles on a female baboon too...doesnt make her a class act stripper thou....lol

and its not the tassles fault...

Meaning if you have that kind of wear your bow was likely way out of tune..wasnt the WB.s fault ...it was the idiot with the tassles...lol

Neil
Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 PM

any one who has issues with a wb is torqueing on the shot...........****in trigger punchers.
I have had far more issues with ripcord code red (went through two of them before ripcord sent me a cheque for what I paid for them.) and a trophy taker smack down that was thrown out due to a ****ty spring that wouldn't lift the launcher arm.(and no it wasn't an install issue)
I started with a wb then got cought up suckin the media tit, got some drop aways (that sucked) and am now back to the wb due to the reasons noted above. im with lost arrow, the old wb is kick ass boyeeeeeeeeeee. whooooooooooooooo
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc*A* View Post
any one who has issues with a wb is torqueing on the shot...........****in trigger punchers.
I have had far more issues with ripcord code red (went through two of them before ripcord sent me a cheque for what I paid for them.) and a trophy taker smack down that was thrown out due to a ****ty spring that wouldn't lift the launcher arm.(and no it wasn't an install issue)
I started with a wb then got cought up suckin the media tit, got some drop aways (that sucked) and am now back to the wb due to the reasons noted above. im with lost arrow, the old wb is kick ass boyeeeeeeeeeee. whooooooooooooooo
X2
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 PM

Lazy mans rest! Easy way out. To each their own but I have shot for over 20 yrs, competively & yes an accomplished hunter( 9 bull elk to date) with archery tackle so I believe I know a bit about this matter! Some people still don't want the advise though. Few archers & retailers think they know better,whatever!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
You can put tassles on a female baboon too...doesnt make her a class act stripper thou....lol

and its not the tassles fault...

Meaning if you have that kind of wear your bow was likely way out of tune..wasnt the WB.s fault ...it was the idiot with the tassles...lol

Neil
Funniest post ever !! Please no photos !
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Funniest post ever !! Please no photos !
lol..can promise that!

Neil
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Lazy mans rest! Easy way out. To each their own but I have shot for over 20 yrs, competively & yes an accomplished hunter( 9 bull elk to date) with archery tackle so I believe I know a bit about this matter! Some people still don't want the advise though. Few archers & retailers think they know better,whatever!
Well to avoid pee on the feet in a P-in contest...Im coming up of half a decade of bow hunting with well over a dozen 20 P&Y animals and even several B&C animals all with the bow...Im a bow hunter, archer and yup even a archery dealer...

But am accomphished enough to know the differance between the easy way out -lazy mans equipment and bow hunting simplicity !!!.....

When it comes to bow hunting...

KISS >>> Keep It Simple Stupid !!!

Murphy hunts too!!

lol

JMHO
Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 07-22-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Anyone read the latest Field and Stream:

Three accomplished 'pro' hunters/archers tried various set-ups to find the 'perfect' bow. This included drop-aways vs. WB. End result was that WB performed just as well as the drop rests all the way out to 60 yards - this is provided both are propperly set-up. Biggest difference was that a WB loses 3-6 fps.

For 3-6 fps, the KISS system is worth alot in my book. I don't shoot the WB but I use an APA Safari same idea with less speed loss.

Back to the original post - if there is any waggling or porposing I wood take a quick look at paper tuning (there are better methods but this one is quick and easy). Check your rest height (nothing should have changed with nock height) and your left right center shot. I would imagine this will solve your stability issues...
then walk-back tune...
then broad head tune...
the fun is n the tweaking.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3mhunter View Post
Anyone read the latest Field and Stream:

Three accomplished 'pro' hunters/archers tried various set-ups to find the 'perfect' bow. This included drop-aways vs. WB. End result was that WB performed just as well as the drop rests all the way out to 60 yards - this is provided both are propperly set-up. Biggest difference was that a WB loses 3-6 fps.

For 3-6 fps, the KISS system is worth alot in my book. I don't shoot the WB but I use an APA Safari same idea with less speed loss.

Back to the original post - if there is any waggling or porposing I wood take a quick look at paper tuning (there are better methods but this one is quick and easy). Check your rest height (nothing should have changed with nock height) and your left right center shot. I would imagine this will solve your stability issues...
then walk-back tune...
then broad head tune...
the fun is n the tweaking.
Good Points...and JFYI if that 3-6 FPS loss on a bow maxed out to manufacturers max poundage bothers some one...it can be made up by some of that fun tweaking easily...

JMHO
Neil
Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Don't forgot humble too.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
This is just one guys opinion. I have shot cheap rests and $$ drop away rests and I'm currently shooting a whisker. I get some contact on my fletching but I'm grouping great still! I do notice a bit more rear end movement during flight but for my hunting style a whisker is best. And I'm only really down approx 4-6fps too.
Just m2cents
Cheers
Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymarriott View Post
This is just one guys opinion. I have shot cheap rests and $$ drop away rests and I'm currently shooting a whisker. I get some contact on my fletching but I'm grouping great still! I do notice a bit more rear end movement during flight but for my hunting style a whisker is best. And I'm only really down approx 4-6fps too.
Just m2cents
Cheers

Drop in sometime and I will tune that WB so there is NO speed loss or rear movement...no charge..

Neil
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Drop in sometime and I will tune that WB so there is NO speed loss or rear movement...no charge..

Neil
Well I will def take you up on that offer when ever i get a chance to make it down to wainwright.
Cheers Neil