Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 PM

Question Bow maintenance and care

Just purchased my very first bow from a fellow AO member -- 2011 Hoyt Rampage XT, courtesy of G123. Set at 70#, ~30" draw length, and I'm really liking it so far... I've only taken about 5 shots, and I've already put a hole in something
I've shot a few bows in the past, so I'm not a complete stranger to them. But since I've never owned my own, I'm kinda wondering about maintenance and care.

Are there any good books out there that I should get? Any basic tips that you guys want to share?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM

piuck up some string wax and keep the string waxed
Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDaLeonardo View Post
Just purchased my very first bow from a fellow AO member -- 2011 Hoyt Rampage XT, courtesy of G123. Set at 70#, ~30" draw length, and I'm really liking it so far... I've only taken about 5 shots, and I've already put a hole in something
I've shot a few bows in the past, so I'm not a complete stranger to them. But since I've never owned my own, I'm kinda wondering about maintenance and care.

Are there any good books out there that I should get? Any basic tips that you guys want to share?
Do as much work on your gear as you can yourself.

You can do everything btw.

If you have to run to a pro shop for every little thing you will lose interest fast.

Build/repair your own arrows for sure.

A press may be too fast too soon but the benefit of owning your own press is a life saver if a pro shop is not within easy reach.

I'm not into books. They get dated pretty fast. Archery websites will contain the most up-to-date information.

Good links are:

Archerytalk.com

bowsite.com

bowzone.com

It will all come together if you have the determination.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 AM

string wax will be the main one. Periodically, take a set of allen keys and go over everything on your bow, to make sure nothing is coming loose.

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post

If you have to run to a pro shop for every little thing you will lose interest fast.

A press may be too fast too soon but the benefit of owning your own press is a life saver if a pro shop is not within easy reach.

I'm not into books. They get dated pretty fast. Archery websites will contain the most up-to-date information.

Good links are:

Archerytalk.com

bowsite.com

bowzone.com

Good advice.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Google,google,google, I started shooting last year didn't even know enough to look through the peep at first now with the help of google I know as much as a pro,just can't shoot like a pro yet.lol
Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 PM

in the internet u find a lot of help for maintaining your bow
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM

you tube is your friend!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 AM

Thanks guys! My gratitude especially to Ehntr, those are some really helpful tips. I loathe paying anyone to do anything I could do myself, so I might just have to look into getting a press soon. It might save me some money in the long run.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM

youtube is the best on tips tons of vidoes on what you need you done and haveing hoyt there will probably be vidoes on setting up your bow , and look into scorpin string care kit has every thing you need for serving , string, and pick up some of there wax to
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ehntr

Good links are:

Archerytalk.com

bowsite.com

bowzone.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Good advice.
X2..Good job!!

As mentioned until one can purchace a decent press... which dont come so cheap...most of the tuning and maintaince can be done by yourself..

You may need a Pro shop to spec tune the bow once a year if you shoot a lot and change strings...

A spec tune isnt all that expensive..but nessacery for top performance and accuracy..

although simple things like installing a peep should be done with a press..maintainance is simple...most parts on a bow are sealed bearings and other than limb bolts ...nothing needs to be lubed or oiled...

oils are dust collectors and powdered graphite is the best lube on other moving parts...

simple olive oil can be put on exposed bolts etc for rust...

And as metioned one of the most important maintaince every shooter should do is wax strings often...make sure wax doesnt contact cams,idlers or roller guards...

very cheap insurance is a good bow case and proper storage out of sunlight and heat...

Neil

Neil