Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Banned

I bought a Marcum VX-1 about 5-6 years ago, has worked well right out of the box and ever since.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 PM

If you haven't used a Helix, you can't comment on how bad or good it is. I honestly find it better then my Ice 55 in 35' of water with a 1/64oz jig and maggots. You can have the graph and sounder going at the same time and see what the fish are doing. Don't get me wrong, i do like my Ice 55, just liking the Helix more. The GPS is great when you find some fish and can mark them. Also works good when you have the lake maps and are looking for structure or an island. Ive used pretty much every brand out there and they all have good and bad features. i found that Marcum was the least reliable and took a long time t get repairs, Vexlar is good, but not as popular in Alberta, and just had best luck with the Huminbird. Good luck in shopping, Whole Sale had a bunch for 20% off last time i stopped by. All last years models, but the Ice 35, 45, 55 haven't changed in years.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I used to just throw mine in a milk crate with a couple other odds and ends but if I was doing sled in trips regularly I would wrap it up in a blanket/foam/jacket and have it secured in a milk crate or something as well.

On our Lake Athabasca trip we wrecked my auger(cracked fuel tank and broke throttle off), flasher(gain knob), both our heaters(rattled apart multiple times), pot handle, lost my chair and I am sure I am forgetting a few other things lol... Lesson learned was that on long sled trips you need to put a lot of thought into properly securing items inside your sled...
Yikes, good to know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
I keep a bucket ratchet strapped at the front foot well part of the running board of my snowmobile that I slide the flasher in. I don't put them in the toboggan if I can help it.
What a great idea, will have to look at doing that myself
Old 10-24-2017, 06:40 PM

In 35 feet of water it will be fine. Get into 75 to 100 then you will notice a difference. I would suggest anything under 40 most of these machines will meet most persons needs. The gps and maps are a bonus on the bird. I am going to convert mine for ice for the first time. The maps and having already marked spots during summer will beat my old finder I have been using on the ice. The 7 inch screen will be nice too. Waiting for freeze up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
If you haven't used a Helix, you can't comment on how bad or good it is. I honestly find it better then my Ice 55 in 35' of water with a 1/64oz jig and maggots. You can have the graph and sounder going at the same time and see what the fish are doing. Don't get me wrong, i do like my Ice 55, just liking the Helix more. The GPS is great when you find some fish and can mark them. Also works good when you have the lake maps and are looking for structure or an island. Ive used pretty much every brand out there and they all have good and bad features. i found that Marcum was the least reliable and took a long time t get repairs, Vexlar is good, but not as popular in Alberta, and just had best luck with the Huminbird. Good luck in shopping, Whole Sale had a bunch for 20% off last time i stopped by. All last years models, but the Ice 35, 45, 55 haven't changed in years.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

Man some of you guys have had bad luck. Me and a buddy both own Marcum a lx6 and an lx7 and only issues we've had is broken transducers. One caused by a 3 year old using it as a grappling hook and the other from fumble fingers.

I know another guy with a vex and it works but I would rather have my Marcum any day with the graph mode and verticle flasher. With that being said any flasher is better than no flasher.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM

Default calle permits

This thread prompted me to go out and get my first flasher. lol
I'm now the happy owner of a Vexilar ... now where's a frozen lake so I can go try this thing out?
I'm hearing heavy snow up at Wabasca ...
Old 10-26-2017, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
This thread prompted me to go out and get my first flasher. lol
I'm now the happy owner of a Vexilar ... now where's a frozen lake so I can go try this thing out?
I'm hearing heavy snow up at Wabasca ...
Hahaha I remember when I got mine I tried using it in a 5 gallon pail waiting for ice up.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 AM

Any way you go - fishing with a flasher changes ice fishing for the better, guaranteed. Since I got my Marcum - I've never looked back.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:50 AM

Like a few guys have mentioned here - Marcum's customer service is outstanding - they support their customer. The problem is, I did have periodic break downs of my Marcum stuff. 2 seasons ago, I bought a second camera, because the first one was in the shop again (for the second time due to condensation in lens).

My Marcum flasher also had some issues that went back for warranty.

Excellent products (when the work) and excellent customer service but it's getting a little old for me now what seems to be constantly dealing with one issue or the next on my Marcum stuff.

I also have an older hummingbird ??? (the predecessor to the ICE) all in one flasher/GPS/Fish finder unit and bought the summer transducer for it so I can take it in a canoe or rental boat (whatever). Never had issues with the Humminbird stuff. It works well and doesn't break.

It's my GPS for ice fishing and my "back-up" unit. Problem is I had to use my backup unit for weeks or months every second or so ice season ...... I think the Marcum is clearer and brighter, but that doesn't help you when it's in the shop for warranty.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Man some of you guys have had bad luck. Me and a buddy both own Marcum a lx6 and an lx7 and only issues we've had is broken transducers. One caused by a 3 year old using it as a grappling hook and the other from fumble fingers.

I know another guy with a vex and it works but I would rather have my Marcum any day with the graph mode and verticle flasher. With that being said any flasher is better than no flasher.
Some people forget that sonar is a piece of electronics, and although they are made for outdoor use they still need to be handled sensibly. I have owned sonar/gps since about 1987 Garmin, Humminbird, Marcum, and Lowrance, and with the exception of a transducer replacement have never had a problem with any of them.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Default Flashers

I love my Lowrance Elite 5HDI it has been great for th 4 years & no issues. I love to use the split screen with real time images/ flasher. I can see my lure on both & the fish reacting or not.It was better than my friends Ice 55 IMO
Old 10-28-2017, 12:10 PM

For anyone interested, there is a Marcum VX-1i on sale for $299 at the South Edmonton Common CT. They also had a Lowrance 3x Ice on sale for $339.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors