Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Default Treestand keeping warm??

Hi, For the bow hunter out there. I'm just wondering how can you guys keep warm on the stand when -20c out there? When the whitetail in full rut the weather usually get pretty cold. What's the tips for that? I usually put on HH under wear which is good for -30c and a lots of clothing on top of that but still get cold in a few hours. if u have any good trick please help me out. Thanks for the help!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Banned

Get a Heater Body Suit. They are sweet!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:54 PM

Heat rise's

5038-800_500.jpg

David
Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 AM

Good boots , fur hat , and a positive attitude , just knowing that a booner could come to the rattling antlers keeps me warm enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 217.JPG (125.7 KB, 218 views)
Old 11-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Try searching " The Hot Volcano" theses things work awesome! Had one for a few years and its the only way I can stay in a stand all day
Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM

Default Staying warm

I like those hot volcano thingies but the problem is they only stay warm for about 20-30 minutes. I do like to put the disposable hand warmers in all the strategic spots but if they don't get enough oxygen then they won't work either. Does anyone remember the hand warmers that used to have the plastic pod in the, and you broke it and they got nice and hot, they didn't last too long but they were small and put out great heat.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Good trick i learned for keeping feet warm is to use unscented deodorant on your feet so they dont sweat when you walk in. If your feet stay dry they stay warm.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I have few more question I heard a lot about "heated body suit" where can I get it? How much? And are they scent lock?? And do they really keep you warm in like -20c?? Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 PM

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/

There you go, and yes they do work...
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 PM

I have stayed out all day many times with the hot volcano at -27 and I stayed warm. I get cold easy and these things save the day. Best product out there I find and not expensive. A one pound propane bottle will last up to 11 hrs of burning. They are also silent.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Ok I'm sorry I'm from Stone Age but everyone is talking about the hot volcano but what's that?? I try to google it but its keep coming up the volcano pic?? Anyway if someone can help that would be great. Do I have to get it online or it had a dealer around. How much?? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM

http://www.luckyshuntingblinds.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page
Old 11-11-2012, 04:09 AM

Default Volcano

Ok, so this is way different than the hand warmer thingies I was thinking about. So the burner sits under the stand and the cotton tube directs the heat around your body? How long does a cylinder last? Sounds like a cool thing, aren't you worried about the cotton catching fire?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 AM

Don't worry about any fire. It doesn't get that hot, but once you are in your camo sack that little bit of heat keeps a guy warm. I wrap my sandwiches with tin foil and place on top of stand to keep them from freezing. A one pound bottle lasts up to 11 hrs of burning. I like how a persons upper body is out of the sack so a guy has great movement, your not zipped up into a big sleeping bag. I use a pair of suspenders to hold the sack up works good.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Ventilate on your way to the stand or even carry your coat and get out early enough to move slowly. if you're too layered up you'll sweat. If you rush you'll sweat. As soon as you get sweat on your back then stop moving, you're gonna get cold. Doesn't matter what you have on. And a waist pack is better than a backpack. A backpack holds more but your back will be sweaty. if you can stay dry, you'll stay warmer longer.
That said sometimes it's unavoidable so take lots of handwarmers.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 AM

A trick my father taught me as well was when driving out to where you are going hunting don't wear any of the gear/footwear you are going to put on, keep them in a nice waterproof bag in the trunk or wherever so they stay cool and then dress outside.

By doing this you eliminate any chance of sweatig inside your gear/boots because they only warm up to your temperature when you put them on, not to the toasty warm temp in the cab of your truck which will likely cause you to sweat when you are wearing them in that nice toasty cab.

Oh yeah, and don't cheap out on your gear - technology is amazing nowadays and if you buy quality gear you will get what you pay for. Your toes are worth more on your feet than on a surgical tray.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Once again thanks for all the help. I did spend a lots of money on good gear(kings snow camo, scent lock gear, rocky gear...) but still didn't seen to keep me warm enough for sitting on the stand for more than 3 hours when is lower than-10c. ( maybe I just being baby about it) if you guys have more tips please let me. Thanks for your times and good luck !!!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice fisherman View Post
Once again thanks for all the help. I did spend a lots of money on good gear(kings snow camo, scent lock gear, rocky gear...) but still didn't seen to keep me warm enough for sitting on the stand for more than 3 hours when is lower than-10c. ( maybe I just being baby about it) if you guys have more tips please let me. Thanks for your times and good luck !!!
It's pretty tough to go for more than a 1/2 day in those conditions. I may look into this hot volcano thing, but I've tried everything as well and I can't make it past a 1/2 day either. Plus you need to be in some sort of physical condition to draw your bow back after 3 hours of sitting there. There's no point if your freezing and shaking.

You're not being a baby.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Arctic sheild camo little noisey in -30 but keeps me warm still the best remidy for staying warm is to have a lot of big bucks around you the adrenalin is magic
Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 AM

If you want to stay warm in November you've got to start getting ready in June. Lots of steaks, ribs and burgers on the bbq. Corn on the cob and garlic toast too. This will give you that extra bit of insulation to get you through those cold November mornings!

The guys that recommend that you should avoid breaking a sweat when walking to your stand are bang on. If you get your clothes damp you'll be heading back to the truck way too soon.

If you want to stay warm when the temps are -25 and lower, you'll need to spend some money on good gear. Here's what I wear when it gets real cold.

Polypropelene liner socks under a pair of heavy wool socks. Cabelas trans Alaska boots work like a charm over top.

I wear a HellyHansen union suit as my base layer. A set of heavy polar fleece pants and jacket work great as a mid layer. On the outside, I wear Predator insulated bibs and jacket.

On my head I'll wear a HH balaclava with a mad trapper hat on top.

My bow hand is wearing a down filled mitten. I wear a fingerless golf glove on my release hand. I keep that hand inside a muff.

If need be, I put handwarmers in my boots, mitten, muff and the pockets of my polar fleece middle layer.

I end up looking like the Michelin man but I stay warm and can still draw my bow cleanly. This year has not been really cold in Southern Ab, so I have not had to wear the whole outfit yet. I've got my fingers crossed that we don't get a cold snap during the last few weeks. Good luck to everyone.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Banned

I love my thermacell heated insoles. As long as my feet are warm I am usually pretty comfortable in my stand no matter how cold. Also a heat pack on the back of my neck works great too.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 AM

All comments above have been great .. the one I use is the hand muff , insert disposable handwarmers and I'm able to wear thin mechanics gloves instead of thick bulky ones . I 've also found that drinking water on stand and keeping hydrated help keepout the cold . Unlike some others I'm hoping for a touch colder weather the last week of the season , not -30 but -10 would be great .. Gets the deer up and moving longer . Good luck to everyone .
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber150 View Post
I love my thermacell heated insoles. As long as my feet are warm I am usually pretty comfortable in my stand no matter how cold. Also a heat pack on the back of my neck works great too.
do the Thermacell heated insoles work? I have seen them in some mags but never knew if they worked or not? How long do they stay warm for?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
do the Thermacell heated insoles work? I have seen them in some mags but never knew if they worked or not? How long do they stay warm for?
3 hours on high ... toe only. they work ... but there is room for improvement
Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 PM

I tried " Hot Moccs " for the first time this year and was very impressed. I wear 600 gr thinsulate Columbia Bugga Thermal boot (basically an insulated hiking boot) because I hate even walking to my stand in big heavy boots. With the Hot Moccs on and foot warmers in I was able to stay in stand for 9 hours and have my feet stay comfortable in -10 to -20 temps (don't walk in them they will be ruined). I also turn my bow down to 60lbs for my annual whitetail hunt in the 3rd week of November to make it easier to draw after sitting in the cold.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
Get a Heater Body Suit. They are sweet!
second the heater body suit
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 PM

1 leave stand Home
2 Set up Double bull blind with stool,
3 light heater
4 Kick back relax.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 AM

Anyone know where to buy hot volcano around Calgary, never seen it at bass pro or do you have to order it online?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Bought an IWOM in the off season. If it lives up to the reviews I should be toasty this season.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-31-2013, 10:49 AM

I'm with PeteW when it gets real cold I switch from tree stand to ground Blind ( previously set up) small propane heater, nice heavy blanket insulating floor which is also quiet, nice quiet chair and good to go Even your body heat warms up the blind a few degree's and wind which is the killer is blocked and staring eye to eye with a buck fires you up

Gord