Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Banned

You can go on amazon or to home depot and get enough supplies to make your own can. If someone is gonna poach they might just go make a can too. Less than $100 in parts, probably much less if you're real crafty.

And signed.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dropper View Post
Poachers? Criminals? Pointless argument, if people are involved in nefarious activities do you think they really care if sound suppressors are legal?? What next put speed limit signs up and specific hunting seasons? That will stop criminal activity, LOL. Good folks that obey the law are looking for a practical application not criminal intent.
this needs a like button
Old 03-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Thank you, I am getting tired of the pointless comments regarding legality in this country.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
People on here ask me for examples of "what right wing agenda" this would make the list.
This is a perfect example of something that the understanding of which has become so distorted it's hardly possible to meaningfully discuss it.

These aren't the tools of crime - statistics are clear on that.

They're also not silencers. That's not how they work and it's not what they do.

What they are is Canada's only illegal PPE.

Approach it from those points of view and I think you'll see there's a lot more sensibility to it. I was skeptical at first myself, but the facts and are pretty convincing when you examine them objectively.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I signed one of the paper copies at a store. Could anyone here who has even been on an industrial worksite even imagine what the result would be of trying to ban a logical, safe and effective piece of safety equipment would be? They protect hearing and noise reduce pollution, what's the logic behind specifically banning them?

I know, I know, to those people the sky is perpetually falling.
Hear, Hear!

Talked with a few guys about this. Some are in favour, some not. I've yet to hear a well-constructed argument against them. But it's the ones among our ranks not signing this thing that **** me off the most.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alephnaught View Post
Hear, Hear!

Talked with a few guys about this. Some are in favour, some not. I've yet to hear a well-constructed argument against them. But it's the ones among our ranks not signing this thing that **** me off the most.
Exactly.

"I don't want it or see a need for it, so it doesn't need to be legal"
Old 03-02-2017, 08:00 AM
Banned

I signed and shared the link with the contacts on my phone
Old 03-02-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hear, Hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Exactly.

"I don't want it or see a need for it, so it doesn't need to be legal"

They are just prime examples of selfish gun owners and are just as bad for the sport/hobby/industry as an anti, if they don't need it they don't care about it or anyone else.

These same sort are usually also the ones that don't care about high capacity mags or making AR's non restricted, they have their over under and singe shot hunting rifle and could care less about supporting fellow gun owners in having what they want.

Now they have entered a new low and don't care about the safety of other gun owners, they don't care about their hearing so don't care that an important and extremely effective hearing protection device is prohibited from others to use.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:19 AM

That's a pretty big ol' rant painting With a pretty large brush .
Not all single shot rifle shooters or O/U shotgun shooters are agaibst AR's or any other the other things you state
As far as not caring about peoples' safety or hearing , Well that argument just doesn't hold water either .
I don't know a single RSO that will let a person shoot without hearing or eye protection but the bottom line is one shouldn't have to be told to wear it.

I really couldn't give a hoot about brakes, suppresors , semi auto TAC guns or large capacity mags but I support anyone who does and so does everyone I know that has the same mindset as I do .

Cat
Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Thumbs up Yes

Originally Posted by Double Dropper
Poachers? Criminals? Pointless argument, if people are involved in nefarious activities do you think they really care if sound suppressors are legal?? What next put speed limit signs up and specific hunting seasons? That will stop criminal activity, LOL. Good folks that obey the law are looking for a practical application not criminal intent.

This needs a like button X 10000000
Old 03-02-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Poachers? Criminals? Pointless argument, if people are involved in nefarious activities do you think they really care if sound suppressors are legal??
This right here underlines what to me is the most curious nature of this discussion.

On the one hand, gun owners readily perceive the folly of the notion of using laws to control the use & ownership of firearms as a means of reducing the criminal use of firearms. Yet, on the other hand there's resistance to removal of the criminality of suppressors because by making them legal it might encourage their use by criminals. The contortions necessary for those two things to simultaneously make sense to someone must really be mentally exhausting.

Last edited by Alephnaught; 03-02-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
This right here underlines what to me is the most curious nature of this discussion.

On the one hand, gun owners readily perceive the folly of the notion of using laws to control the use & ownership of firearms as a means of reducing the criminal use of firearms. Yet, on the other hand there's resistance to removal of the criminality of suppressors because by making them legal it might encourage their use by criminals. The contortions necessary for those two things to simultaneously make sense to someone must really be mentally exhausting.
Not so contorted. It is illogical when something should not be legal because it may be used in an illegal fashion. The real logic is that criminals will use what they want to perform criminal acts, whether they are legal or not.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM

Smile 270 elk

Just signed it I would not buy one or use one some will which is ok in some places
Old 03-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Default Range time

I spend alot of time at the range often shooting 50 rounds or more in a session. I would prefer to use suppressors to using muzzle brakes. They are dual purpose, recoil reduction and sound reduction. They would be great for a shooter like myself.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Banned

Bump

Make sure this gets as many signatures as possible.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 PM

Signed - took 45s. Though I still have to click 'confirm' when I get the email. Maybe I'll take a break and rest up first...

Oh, there it is and... done!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:48 PM

Signed in the interest of preserving the hearing of the young.

The hard part is convincing the public that has learned their firearm knowledge from Hollywood. James Bond's gun goes "PFFT, PFFT and the bad guy falls dead or the movie Shaft where he puts a potato on a highpower rifle "PFFT, PFFT" all the silenced guns on TV make the same sound.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Or Zero Dark Thirty or Act of Valor or Lone Survivor where all you hear is the action cycling...
Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Signed - took 45s. Though I still have to click 'confirm' when I get the email. Maybe I'll take a break and rest up first...

Oh, there it is and... done!
Bingo!!

Don't take things so personal Cat,I doubt anybody is painting you with that big brush.......but there are a LOT of Fudds amongst our ranks willing to throw other gun enthusiasts under the bus,as is evident on any and every CDN outdoors forum every time the topic of de-restricting ARs comes up.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
People on here ask me for examples of "what right wing agenda" this would make the list.

So saving our hearing and bothering the neighbours less is right wing?

I guess I'm a righty!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 PM

This does not make the list for right wing, so typical of the left wing lol
Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
This does not make the list for right wing, so typical of the left wing lol
Anything and everything pro-gun is right wing if you are a lefty don'tcha know.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Anything and everything pro-gun is right wing if you are a lefty don'tcha know.
Nah, I'd call myself a lefty (welllll, more toward the center actually but to the left of right-wing) and most definitely am pro-gun. Not being right-wing doesn't automatically mean you're anti-gun. Lots and lots of gun owners fall across the full breadth of the political spectrum.

But, as touched on above, the corollary also holds true - being right-wing doesn't automatically mean you're pro-gun. Case in point: the cast-in-blue Fuddites among us who show their true colours as gun-owning members of the anti-gun camp when anything black, scary and tacticool-y comes up for discussion.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:17 PM

Signed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 06:33 PM

Default How politicians think

This is a public forum as we all know. If petitions like this one, open carry being another, large capacity mags, hand guns for protection from dangerous animals etc. also serve as surveys for the antis.

If this petition gets lukewarm support the politicians who read it will assume that the population is opposed, so they will be opposed.

Follow this close.

They can then easily pervert your petition to support a bill that will require ALL shooters to ALWAYS to wear hearing protection. Not because they care one wit if you go deaf, but just to make hunting more difficult.

Some of you need to clip this out and stick it on your bathroom mirror. Not every one supports our hobbies.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 PM

Can't believe his hasn't hit 10,000 yet.

Takes two minutes to sign
Old 04-05-2017, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is a public forum as we all know. If petitions like this one, open carry being another, large capacity mags, hand guns for protection from dangerous animals etc. also serve as surveys for the antis.

If this petition gets lukewarm support the politicians who read it will assume that the population is opposed, so they will be opposed.

Follow this close.

They can then easily pervert your petition to support a bill that will require ALL shooters to ALWAYS to wear hearing protection. Not because they care one wit if you go deaf, but just to make hunting more difficult.

Some of you need to clip this out and stick it on your bathroom mirror. Not every one supports our hobbies.
With your logic we shouldn't promote any easing of firearm restrictions because anything could backfire at anytime. Pathetic.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:59 AM

Thumbs up Sound suppressors

Signed, and confirmed. I have a muzzle break on my Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmore and although I like it, it is annoying to my range partners. I would use a suppressor at the range, and the MB hunting.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Banned

Bump
Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Bump
Thank you.