Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Default Anyone planning west coast this summer ?

Is anyone going salmon fishing this summer ? If so who will you be using as your charter ? We lightened up on Christmas gifts this year 'cus we'll be dumping a bit of cash this summer.
The wife, son and I will be driving to Vancouver Island in August for the great salmon race, or so I call it, ha. We will be using 2 different fishing charters on the north part of the Island, AO sponsors of course, then one on the south end of the Island. The plan is to fish 2 days in Tofino fishing for all kinds, salmon, hailbut, cod, coho, then rush back to the inside to Port Hardy for another day on the water. We will Greyhound our Tofino catch back to relatives in Victoria between trips, then one day after Hardy, we jump on another charter out of Sooke for 2 days of fishing, so in all 3 charters, 5 days on the water and 1700 - 1800 km of driving, all within a week. We have a few days buffer to and from the Island, so not as hurried as it may seem, I say this now, ha. Been waiting on a trip like this for years, can't wait for August.

TBark
Old 12-27-2011, 07:29 PM

sounds like you guys willl have a blast... i live in the campbell river area..... lotsa fish here too
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Yes, was considdering fishing there too.
We'll be having supper there on out way through.
Any good restaurant suggerstions ?

TBark
Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 PM
AO Sponsor

Painters Lodge used to be good food on your way up, but last summer I heard it had gone down hill... Rip Tide Pub had good food last time I was there in May
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 12-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Sounds like you guys have lots to look forward to for this upcoming summer!

I'm probably going to head for Port Renfrew, or Uculet this upcoming summer to target halibut, ling cod, and all 5 species of salmon out mine and my Dad's 23ft double eagle...Can't wait!

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM

the rip tide is great..... so is moxies... depends what you like .... baan thai is great we eat there alot

painters is waaaaaaay over rated

if you come to quadra island the tsa qwa luten lodge has good food to wednesday is prime rib night, oh yum yum
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM

I'm jealous of ya Tbark! There is nothing like fishing on the ocean! We used to fish on both sides of the island. We never chartered, but used our own boats. You will have a blast!

We are going to try to head out to the island this summer, I doubt that we will fish (sigh). We will probably surf in tofino instead.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy on a Buffalo View Post
We will probably surf in tofino instead.
The surf is tiny in the summer months in Tof,
I used to live in Ukee and I worked at Live to Surf, Tofinos first surf shop.

If there is decent swell, stop by L2S and speak with Kiyo, Jean-Paul or Pascale. They will set you up with everything you'll need.

If the waves aren't there, cheap charters can be had at the Princess in Ucluelet. Last time I went, it was $120 per person and I brought home 60 lbs of deboned Salmon, Halibut, Ling, and various types of Rockfish. We were fishing out at Big Bank.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 PM

so im going to pick up a couple mooching rod/reel set ups. thinking of going with shimano gt 2000 or 4000 and mabe a couple shimano convergence rods. what rod action and line rating would you recomend. they will be used 95% of the time off downriggers. these are on sale right now. will they do the trick or should i go lighter? i will be using braid with mabe a top shot for a bit of a shock absorber
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod264285.html
Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Is it bad my dad has an offshore boat and I've turned the last two summers down to save my holidays for hunting? Maybe this year I'll fly out to his place and head up island and slay some halibut and springs.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
so im going to pick up a couple mooching rod/reel set ups. thinking of going with shimano gt 2000 or 4000 and mabe a couple shimano convergence rods. what rod action and line rating would you recomend. they will be used 95% of the time off downriggers. these are on sale right now. will they do the trick or should i go lighter? i will be using braid with mabe a top shot for a bit of a shock absorber
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod264285.html
Convergence is ok in my experience, snapped two last year off the downrigger but I nail the cr** out of the fish when it bites...one 46lber snapped the rod when I hooked it and lady still got it in the boat! Don't go lighter in my opinion, especially using braid with very little give compared to the mono I use, and it still snapped.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Convergence is ok in my experience, snapped two last year off the downrigger but I nail the cr** out of the fish when it bites...one 46lber snapped the rod when I hooked it and lady still got it in the boat! Don't go lighter in my opinion, especially using braid with very little give compared to the mono I use, and it still snapped.
so much for that idea. only one left and shipping will almost cost as much as the rod.they are not making them any longer. what is another decent mooching rod without breaking the bank? any of u bc guys get out for early season hali's yet? all of us alberta boys could use a few pics to ease the itch a little
Old 02-23-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Is anyone going salmon fishing this summer ? If so who will you be using as your charter ? We lightened up on Christmas gifts this year 'cus we'll be dumping a bit of cash this summer.
The wife, son and I will be driving to Vancouver Island in August for the great salmon race, or so I call it, ha. We will be using 2 different fishing charters on the north part of the Island, AO sponsors of course, then one on the south end of the Island. The plan is to fish 2 days in Tofino fishing for all kinds, salmon, hailbut, cod, coho, then rush back to the inside to Port Hardy for another day on the water. We will Greyhound our Tofino catch back to relatives in Victoria between trips, then one day after Hardy, we jump on another charter out of Sooke for 2 days of fishing, so in all 3 charters, 5 days on the water and 1700 - 1800 km of driving, all within a week. We have a few days buffer to and from the Island, so not as hurried as it may seem, I say this now, ha. Been waiting on a trip like this for years, can't wait for August.

TBark
Looking forward to seeing you T-Bark. Getting pretty pumped up with all the Feeder Chinook in the area right now!! First boat goes in the water next week and that one won't come out until mid October so she will see some fish on the deck during the next 7 months
Fresh Salmon on the grill next week...mmmmm....winter chinook....
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Annual Terrace trip for three weeks. My wife is from there so we visit family and fish (well I fish and she visits family). Hit the Douglas channel and fish the Skeena for Chinooks and Sockeye. My uncle just bought a new 21 foot jetboat with a 350 chevy and he gives me free reigns on it. Better not beach it this year!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Here fishy fishy....

Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Here fishy fishy....
That worked for me yesterday... Great offshore day for early April. Report coming soon.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM

Pics or it didn't happen Jay!!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Pics or it didn't happen Jay!!
Did get some pics for proof...will try and get a quick report done tonight. A little slow on the draw, health issues kickin my azzzzz today. I have been posting updates and pics fresh, very fresh on Twitter @tofinofishing for anyone following Fishing in the Twitter World.