Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Default I dont know what it is?

I was fishing today on the lower RedDeer River down by Drumheller. We were getting loads of bites on minnows. So we went smaller and smaller until we started catching them. They looked sort a like a whitefish and kind a like a sucker. They were just small biggest was 12". If I was on the fraser or columbia I would have called it a pike minnow. From the number of bites we were getting the river is full of them... To add the goldeye fishing was great?
Please advise
Old 05-20-2012, 06:51 PM

chubb or rmw, that far down, likely chubb.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM

After your reply Pat i did a little digging and what it seens like is a flathead chub. The RedDeer RiverNaturalists state that the range is all the way to the dam. I emailed fish and wildlife to see if they are a legal bait speices. If they are I see a few more trips to drum to get next years ice fishing bait. Thanks for the information
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyAngler View Post
After your reply Pat i did a little digging and what it seens like is a flathead chub. The RedDeer RiverNaturalists state that the range is all the way to the dam. I emailed fish and wildlife to see if they are a legal bait speices. If they are I see a few more trips to drum to get next years ice fishing bait. Thanks for the information
they are excellent bait.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:33 PM

With those gaint chubb in the river i can see why the walleye fishing is so good. Thats what we were trying for this time. We wanted to fish from the morin bridge up to tolman. But the boat launchs were in poor shape. We only fished up 5 km up from town. I was hoping to find a few large deep holes. The deepest we found was 9 feet maybe 40 feet long. We fished it for about an hour with only some goldeye to show. Are there other boat launchs in the area that a person could launch a river boat. Thanks for any information
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
they are excellent bait.
x2.....we would catch them in ther Assiniboine in Manitoba and then slice them in various ways and use them for catfish bait.