Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Default hunting looks good John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Petty View Post
hey if you travl to picture butte ill go bird hunting with you ( ducks but if you have goose decoys can get lots of geese too) i got duck decoys gun dog an calls and know of a few really good areas right close
how about some geese at the lake this year.
wont be bow hunting toar my shoulder at work gonna be fuin trying to shoot elk . Im at home had surgery in july call me.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Thought I would throw this out there...

If there is a newbie or anyone else who wants to fit the ducks, geese or deer in the GP area, drop me a PM.

I am more than willing to get a guy out for a day or two and so is my regular hunting buddy...

Never shot a deer before?

Don't worry, we'll do it once so that you know how to do it whne you bag your next one....

If you're not a complete idiot, there might even be a place for you to stay and get a shower...

But the main thing is, don't let inexperience or lack of access stop you!

Good luck!

Mike
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Default Hunting this year southwest of Calgary

Hi Guys, I am going to try and get some hunting in this year around calgary area and was wondering if anyone is interested in coming along. I only want experienced hunters and people who know the land management areas. I have only hunted in RKY MTN House in Alberta so if someone could help me out as to where good and legal hunting locations are; it would be great. I would like to have a good hunting partner who is serious and safe but also has a good sense of humor. While hunting, extreme attention and corordination is required along with good communication. If anyone would like to do some scouting and get some hunting in this year let me know. I am from NFLD and have hunted for over 15 yrs. I like hunting just about anything that's legal and I love to hunt moose. Take care and have a good hunting season.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Hunting partner

Looking for a partner or two or three from the north country to hunt moose, elk, deer, (you name it), I'd rather hunt than eat. The beer or two by the campfire at days end is getting boring by myself. I'm off till Dec. 3rd and will bring quad, stands, blinds etc. up from the Hat. 403-504-2361
Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 PM

Hey BBJ, PM sent
Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 AM

Hey Bowser. I am looking for a bull elk around Suffield. I am drawn for the last season starting Today! If you know any local insider info on when and where the bulls leave the block, I would love the advice. If the elk activity increases, I will likely drag my hunting trailer up to the Buffalo campground, and spend some time looking for a monster bull! You will have to stop in for a cold one or three.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 PM

I do hear from others there is a swack of them in there, in the thousands, and have seen some cows on the fringes by the Trans Can. but my knowledge ends there. Would love to help and if I had got your post earlier I could have done some diggin for you. Good luck in there, and the beer thing is a deal. Bowser
Old 11-17-2009, 04:20 PM

Here are pics from last year reportably taken by a MP in the block. Maybe a Christmas donation to the MP fund might get you pointed in the right direction, Good Luck once again.

And this my favourite one, mmmm Muley !

Last edited by Bowser; 11-17-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: to add pictures
Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Awesome pics Bowser. I saw what appeared to be the identical herd of 9 bulls last week Tuesday around 9:30 AM about 500 yds inside the base. Are you sure these Elk pictures are not from this year?
I will let u know once we drag the trailer up to the Buffalo campground. Likely will be somewhere between Dec. 6th and the 14th, or somewhere there abouts, depending on work, weather, wife, hunting partner. You know..... all the usual suspects........ Hope you like BUD LIGHT!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM

Hi All

I am looking for a partner to go hunting with in WMU 232. I can drive - just not sure where to go as I have never been out that way before

Thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 PM

I'll be huntin around Lloyd next week if anyone is lookin for a mentor or partner pm me if interested. My sons may be taggin along.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Looking for a partner to go with within 2 hours of Edmonton, going for whitetail. I'm a rookie, and I'm looking to get as much experience as I can. Let me know.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:23 PM

This is my first season hunting anything other than gophers lol! I have gone out a few times so far and my fiance took a muley buck but I have yet to use my muley general tag or whitetail tag. Any tips on areas I could check out? I'm in south calgary but definitely willing to travel...
Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 PM

There are only a few spots left open for the tags you have and they're all along the Sask. border. I would recommend reading the regulations carefully and getting a landowners map if you do head out.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Default Looking To Teach

My son seems to have outgrown me in hunting...has his own new buddies just as I did when I was his age lol...looking to find "new" partners who are interested, but don't know anyone.... have land and lots of permission ne of Edmonton....
Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 AM

Looking for someone around Edmonton to hunt and call coyotes with, I have hunted big game before but never coyotes, have call, rifle, side by side, truck etc and some land I can hunt East of the city. Would like to learn hand calling, etc. Ron
Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

I have simialr issue with my son, he is busy with work and wife and young man's life. I'm retired and am looking for a hunter/fisherman in the same situation, interested in skilled, sedate, quality hunting and fishing, past the "kill everything you see" stage and into the "quality experience stage". My wife is opposed (i.e. read "adamantly" opposed) to me hunting and fishing alone for safety reasons. I fly fish in summer, hunt ducks, geese, whitetail in the fall. I live in Sherwood Park. Looking forward to hearing back if you are interested in teaming up.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM

I am relatively new to hunting... Lethbridge Area..

Also looking for someone to partner up with for waterfowl season.. even one trip would be a huge learning experience for me (I have the etiquette, don't worry.)

PM me if interested.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Default Mountain Hunting

I am an experienced hunter but am relatively new to Alberta. I am looking for someone who knows the lay of the land so to speak and would like to hunt for either big horn or elk in the mountains. I went for big horn last year in the Grande Cashe area but it was so warm out we never saw any. I would prefer to hunt in the Crowsnest Pass since it is a little closer to home but I will go anywhere in the province. Best case scenario your a rancher with a couple horses and want a hunting buddy who can walk all day in the mountains if need be.(I would also deff compensate you if you had horses and we used them) Anyway if anyone is interested let me know.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Hi all,

I have been hunting in Alberta for the last twenty-six past years. I was born east of Cow-town, and have had couple different hunting partners over the years. I have hunted both big game and birds. Right now I am seeking primarily a big game hunting partner.
Upon till ten years ago I did not hunt alone, but soured over dealing with a**holes. Since then I have hunted alone exclusively. The wife has kind of hinted that she does not want to have to call the RCMP to go find me some day, so I am hesitantly looking for a new hunting partner. Experience is not as important to me as much as attitude.
You should be:

•An ethical hunter.
•Not interested in “road” hunting, or in, “bending the rules”, AKA, poaching.
•Willing to hunt on foot – quads are not evil - but not a necessity.
•Willing to rough it – fifth wheels are not a requirement.
•Be in reasonable physical condition – I know CPR but that doesn’t mean I want to use it.
•Have a basic understanding of firearms safety and use – no 10000 meter shots.
•Be able to enjoy being outdoors – even if it is cold & wet.

My experience is mainly working & hunting in the central & northern foothills & mountains, although I am also familiar with the western north-country as well. I have in mind a one or two week Elk / Deer hunt in either WMU 344, or 353/354, (Berland river area) or shorter hunts in WMU 349 (Two-Creeks area)

The above WMU’s are general tags for all except Moose. If someone has knowledge of good spot that is on draw, I do have a priority 3 for Bull Elk, a priority 2 for both Buck & Doe White-tail & a priority 1 for Bull Moose.
(Just remember there are only seven days left for draws.)
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Default Intro / Looking for partner

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a little bit now, and finally decided I should introduce myself.

I'm 26 live in Cochrane, work in South Calgary (heritage & Mcloud). I'm interested in all types of hunting, birds and big game. I've hunted grouse and the like back home in Northern MB, but haven't hunted anything since I moved out to Calgary for school about 8 years ago.

I've got a 4 month old choc lab pup that I'm hoping to train to retrieve, he seems to be doing good so far, but I'm almost to the limits of what I know how to train, but I ordered a couple books so we'll see how that goes.

Now for the hunting, I currently don't own any guns (just sent in the paperwork on my PAL). I'll be purchasing a 12 gauge, and maybe a BLR .300WSM (ideal but will probably looking for something used) before fall.
I plan on hunting some grouse by myself with the dog this fall, but would love to go with someone for ducks, geese and/or something bigger. No draws for me, but would be perfectly happy to tag along as a spectator/extra pair of hands. And if that sounds good to anyone, feel free to PM me and we can hook up for a beverage or two anytime.

I've got a truck, camping junk etc. Might buy a 12' aluminum boat soon as I finish my bathroom reno. GFs father has a quad I can borrow as well.

I'm also interested in fishing, though I know this is the hunting forum. I've never done much river fishing being from MB, but I'm planning on learning to fly fish over the summer as well.

Anyhow that was probably more long winded than I'd intended.

Have a great day everyone,

__
S
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Hey everyone

I am always up for a good hunt!

I am looking for people to go duck/goose hunting with this fall, I have never done it, but dying to try it out!

As for big game, I am up for any type of hunt, I have a couple of guys that I'll be heading out with this fall, but eager to meet some new folks too!

Hunting mostly 400-402 this year - thats what I am planning anyways elk, WT and mulie's so drop me a line if anyone is interested or have room for another guy!

I have my own gear and truck, the only thing I am missing is a horse or a quad! lol, but I got 2 feet and a strong back! and love a good hike!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Also going to start hunting in Alberta this year, hoping to do some bird hunting and probably some big game. Have a Golden puppy I'm hoping will be able to retrieve birds atleast someday, but if not ah well.

I live SW of Calgary just outside Dewinton.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:48 AM

Default wmu 503

hey all i got drawn for moose in 503 not my first choise but it ll do any body else gonna try and get a moose in the lac la biche area im from edmonton but i do all my white tail hunting up thereand usualy see moose just gotta switch gears with my cameras and start targeting swamp donkeys instead of whiteys, been hunting for 16 yrs and never gone after moose
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Default new to hunting

New to hunting in alberta and hunting in general.

live in red deer, dont mind a few hours travel to get out.

hopefully picking up a new rifle later this month and will only have a general whitetail tag (missed the draw dates)

looking for someone that wouldnt mind taking out a newbie and teaching some skills and tips and just some general knowledge and learning the proper ways to hunt.

dont mind hiking, camping or hard work.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Elk hunting in the 300 zones

We are looking to meet up with a couple of hunters to hunt elk near Hinton area (near Pembina River), or in any of the 300 zones. We are out of province hunters (unfortunately I left Alberta so no longer a local), so we need to have 1 local for every two hunters with us. There will be four of us, all self sufficient, seasoned and above all ethical hunters (my buddy is a Conservation Officer in Ontario).. We have all our gear, a portable camp, quads etc etc. The only things we don't have is some local friends to hunt with.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM

Default WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Special Licence Draw (Calgary Area)

Hi All

I got my draw for zone 212 and I do not have a partner

My tag runs from Dec 01 - Dec 20

Let me know if you have the same tag - it is Primitive Weapon only!!!

Where there is one cow Elk there will be more

PM me!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Default Hunting

will be hunting the foothills for sheep,elk,moose,deer,cats n bears this year. I'm not a trophy hunter but I do like big, big game. I hunt with all methods, have all necessary gear and I'm comfortable roughin' it in the bush. i have a sheep hunt (rifle) planned for the first of september,followed by an elk,moose, mule deer combo hunt(quad-archery). sheep hunt will be physically demanding of 40k or more,sleeping up in the rocks. early october river hunt (red deer) for mule deer might be in the works again this year as well as bull/cow elk (archery). I hunt bears where i find them or they find me, as the case may be. I have hunted the central alberta area for the past 30 years, I'm based out of red deer. NO-->
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM

Default 2nd Year bowhunter needs Partner

Hey,
I have limited bowhunting experience but last year I absolutely loved it. I live just North of Edmonton and am looking for a partner to do day hunts here and there in the area. Would love to bag a moose.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Default Hunting Partner

Hi again guys, i'm looking for a hunting partner around calgary area. PM me if you want to go out for a coffee and chat. Only serious and ethical hunters please. thanks