Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Supp Antlerless Tags Gonein Some 500 Series

I saw in the 2014 regs online today that the antlerless Supp WT tags are gone for a host of 500 zones.

Hopefully it will help rebuild some deer numbers here in the northeast. Tough winter here last year for sure, so hard to argue the reduction in harvest.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 AM

An excellent decision in my opinion.

HT
Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM

Hopefully get rid of all female tags in my opinion
Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM

300 also.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleyhunter7 View Post
Hopefully get rid of all female tags in my opinion
that's just bad science
Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 AM

I have hunted some of the 500 series areas affected in the past and they are a shell of what they used to be. Hit hard by weather, wolves and road hunters. Some zones you have a very hard time getting permission from land owners. They have had enough from the Fort Mcmurray croud.... and no iam not picking on just them I was born and raised their. But when meeting land owners last fall the first question was were are you from? Fort mac ? It makes a guy wonder. Good luck this fall have a safe summer.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpack View Post
that's just bad science
Are you saying removing doe tags is bad science? Im a little confused at this.

What is the theory here? If each doe can give birth to one or two fawns and a single buck can fertilize more than one doe, wouldn't it make sense to harvest less does and more 3 4 or 5 year old management bucks?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post

What is the theory here? If each doe can give birth to one or two fawns and a single buck can fertilize more than one doe, wouldn't it make sense to harvest less does and more 3 4 or 5 year old management bucks?
Im down for the removal of the supplemental tags for the affected zones. What im sure he means by bad science,is the fact that a specific herd full of old does who can no longer be bred will affect the overall population of the herd anyways. So removing any tags for does will have a negative effect on birthing rates.
Maby it just comes down to common sense as well. You want to hunt a doe?well make sure she dosent have a fawn. You want a buck?well dont be shooting every fork horn.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post

I'm saying a lot of WMU may need to cut back the doe tags but all is bad science
Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 AM

Couldn't be any happier about this!! Had a group of guys on the land I hunt take out far too many does that last couple years..haven't taken a doe myself on that land for 3 years as numbers kept diminishing. Wouldn't mind if they even went to a draw system in a couple wmu's with only antlered whitetail being an option. Buck to doe ratio the last couple of weekends of scouting i
had easily been 3:1 and the total deer numbers are the worst they've been in a long time