Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM
sheep hunter

Default George Kelley Passed Away

I just received this from Bazil Leonard. George will definitely be missed in the Willmore....

Hi Everyone:

I am sad to tell you that George Kelley ‘rode over he pass’ on Sunday evening. He fought a tough battle with cancer and gave it his best. I personally had the pleasure of butchering two buffalo with George last December. It was his last outing and he took charge like a man of the woods, giving everyone directions on the best way to skin and quarter.

Sue had the opportunity to interview George for the People & Peaks of Willmore Wilderness Park - Book Two. He worked with Sue and signed the copy of his chapter off last summer. He also provided Sue with valuable information on outfitters, Nick Nickerson and Felix Plante, for the first book of People & Peaks of Willmore Wilderness Park.

We are going to sadly miss George. He was one of the most knowledgeable trailmen and trappers of this time. George was a strong believer in the Willmore Wilderness Act and firmly believed we needed to stay vigilant to keep this Park for the traditional uses of hunting, trapping, fishing and horse use. We will carry on knowing that his spirit still rides the trails.

Happy Trails

Bazil Leonard
Old 02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
BrownBear416

Default GK

Thanks for posting this TJ.

He will be deeply missed by many.

He was the best of the best at what he did.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Rocks

Default Re: GK

I met George a few years ago, he entertained me and some friends around the campfire for a couple of hours. I was over at Bazil's yesterday and we talked about him for a bit, so I'll tip one for George, and condolences to the family.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 AM
sheep hunter

Hey Rocks.....I've got a buddy that's going to draw the non-resident sheep tag in Alberta this year and I was thinking of taking him into the Willmore. I'm looking for someone with a packstring that would like to learn some new country, have a bit of an adventure and help Paul get his ram? Anyone come to mind?? Did I mention my secret spot???
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Jamie Hunt

Anyone need a cook???

Jamie
Old 03-01-2007, 02:44 AM
RockyMountainMusic

sad to hear, he was a good outfitter/guide and a hell of a guy. Fought hard till the end. The world needs more people like him.