Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 AM

Default 2 to 4 Man Tent Options and Opinions

Looking for some opinions and feed back on some of the tents out there.

If you'd be so kind, please let me know what tent you have, if you like it, and what could be better about it!

Planning on upgrading the one man I have now!
Also feel free to drop me a PM if your selling a used one.

Thanks,
Cory
Old 01-30-2014, 09:54 AM

I have a two man Clam Nanook uninsulated.

Cons: too short to stand in ( always bent over getting in and out )
Not insulated sweats later in the day on really cold days, windows do not open (covers open but clear plastic does not )
Pros: only paid 249.00, front and back door, light weight , fast set up , has its own sled, fits in a 5.5 truck box under the tonneau, fits all my stuff.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 AM

Wink

I have a costco sold outdoor works brand kingfisher 3 and its great if its just you and someone else but three people in tight. other than that the tent is perfect, and cheapest. if you need more room as i do now, you should get the six man from costco from outdoor works(fish inn) or it may be a burgandy one but they r pretty much identicle. You can never have too much room and it is cheap compared to other comparable 6 man tents. They all want 350-450. costco is only 250 i think. walmart sells them now too but i think costco is still a little cheaper or the same at worst case. Im buying the six man forsure so i have both. they also go up just as fast as any other tent and weigh 10 pounds more and they are hardly bigger packed away. hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 AM

I have the Eskimo Fatfish 4man. Awesome unit pops up in minutes. If there was an improvement suggestion for this tent would be to prevent the support rods from popping out of their sockets. Does not happen all the time one rod continues to popout . No big deal but would be better if it didn't
Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Banned

I had a four man pop up and I switched to an Eskimo quick flip and I just love it. It only takes me about a minute to setup and there's no struggling with it when it's really windy. Everything is right there in the sled ready to roll all of the time. I generally fish by myself so this setup if perfect for me but for two guys, you only have room for two holes, one each, inside of the tent. What works for me may not be the best for you but I'll never go back to a pop up.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM

I hate the pop ups personally. The flips are the only way to go. You can have your 20lbs propane tank in their, your auger, flasher. Any gear you have will fit inside. Tow it with a quad or sled. Even pull it on when need be. Only downside is it takes 2 people to lift into a truck unless u bring a single 2x4 to act as a small ramp. It fits in a reg box truck with the tailgate up.

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM

Thanks for all the input so far!

I'm biased towards to the pop-up, only reason is because the flip up doesn't fit in my car (Chevy cobalt) which is a shame cause I really like the ease of putting it up and the ability for it t dual as a sled!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 PM

I have the clam summit 4 man pop up from costco. Paid 200 bucks for it on sale and I couldn't be happier!

I fit my 20lb propane tank, 4 fishing holes, 1 for camera, 2 lawn chairs, in it with two guys while fishing and there's still plenty of moving room.

Only downside is it hangs out of my pull along sled and sometimes it topples over, but hey what can ya do.

Thinking of buying a utility trailer next year and building a trailer shack.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 PM

I bought this off the Wallmart webpage, 12'x6', takes less than a minute to set up, so far very happy with it. Free shipping. $315.00 took 3 days to arrive. There was a little tear in the fabric, took it to wallmart, returned it, reordered another, again 3 days to get here. Good return and warranty service. They have a 3man for $169.00 I think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tent.jpg (45.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Anyone have one of these:
Sub-Zero tundra Tuff -man shelter?

http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/spor...78p.touch.html

$299 at Canadian tire

Bigdad,

How much room does it take up when it's packed up?
Looks like a pretty nice tent!
And a great deal for a 6 man
Old 01-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1 View Post
Anyone have one of these:

$299 at Canadian tire

Bigdad,

How much room does it take up when it's packed up?
Looks like a pretty nice tent!
And a great deal for a 6 man
When its in the bag its roughly (just going on memory here) 50"x12". Also I am 6'7" and can stand up in it. So far we really like it, also has 2 doors in it and windows and vents
Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM

I have a 949i Eskimo. 8ft x 8ft pop up insulated tent and it's great.

Great for 2 or 3 people - gets tight after 3 people.

Heats up really nice, stays warm and dry ........ up in 60 seconds and down in 3 minutes.

I probably need a bigger one since ..... paid $350 in December ......

I'm going to go to a Clam 1660 next I think ........ a little more room for the kids and dog when they come along.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Default Clam Command

I have the Clam Command, pretty happy with it and their service quality.
I broke one pool and they replace it for a couple of bucks.
I can stand in it si im pretty happy.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM

get one you can stand straight up in, and then the best you can afford. i'm tall and my mechanic neck just cant handle anymore craning, spent too much of my working days working under cars
Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Banned

Cool

The new fat fish eskimos in the I insulated model's cant be beat . Bit pricey but well worth the coin I have the frabil outpost and there is no comparison . Eskimo is bigger, warmer set up /takedown time is the same .
Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Cory1;2304154]Anyone have one of these:

$299 at Canadian tire

I have one, used it for 3 seasons, only one door which is the downside, my zipper is screwed so I cant use it anymore or Id still be using it. bought a fish-inn same size from costco for 179 heavier material and 2 doors. not the best quality but for the price its a good tent, twice as thick as most of the others. they made the window plastic thicker but Ive already cracked both of mine, dont usually open them anyways. big vents too which is a bonus just set your tipup on one of the ends with the vents and you dont even need a window

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 PM

I have a 3man popup, and just purchased a 6man popup also. 3man is crowded for 2 people, 6 man is good for 3 people comfortably. 3 people with space for Heater, fish cam, chairs, tackle boxes, it all takes up space. I'll use my 3 man alone, and the 6 man for everything else. I'd go bigger than you think you need.
Oh, and the 3man is a kingfisher3, and 6man is a rapala. No issues with either, except that both have bags that are too small, kind of a pita to get them back in

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-30-2014 at 09:05 PM.