Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 PM

Was in Costco today and the reps were in and caught me. I bought one tonight and am looking forward to giving this a go. Needed a new BBQ and not happy with current smoker, so figured would be a happy medium.
Will take tips from other Traeger owners, if there is any tricks.
Happy Grilling all..
Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Banned

costcos prices are not good for traegars. I listened to the one guy selling and he absolutely lied through his teeth when talking to people. He always claimed the price was way higher elsewhere but they were actually selling for the same price that other places did.

Then he mentioned the recipe book was a free bonus but this was also includes elsewhere. The only bonus was a free cover and a free bag of pallets.

I wouldn't buy a traegar over other bbq smokers as they arent as good and cost more then better options out there.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:23 AM

Traeger reps that run the Costco circuits are paid a commission % that increases based on volume. But basically the expectation on a top salesman is 150 units for the one week roadshow in each location.

There is no time or benefit for a live product demonstration with tasting/sampling that would just attract the seagulls.

So a very quick script with a high sense of urgency is required to separate the buyer from his cash. In most cases the buyer did not make a specific trip to Costco to purchase a Traeger.

Walk in to pick up some food items and walk out 1/2 hour later dropping a grand and saying WTH just happened.lol

Reps can easily make 3K-5k a week and their hotel is provided. Lonely life on the road. Not much money to be made while training as the #'s are attributed to the trainer-Generally bought in from the US

Really they are well paid to transfer their enthusiasm for the product to the consumer. Nothing more Nothing less.
Not everyone can sell at that level.

You don't sell-you don't eat and Costco tracks your #'s daily to indirectly hold your feet to the fire.

Last edited by omega50; 11-18-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy21 View Post
costcos prices are not good for traegars. I listened to the one guy selling and he absolutely lied through his teeth when talking to people. He always claimed the price was way higher elsewhere but they were actually selling for the same price that other places did.

Then he mentioned the recipe book was a free bonus but this was also includes elsewhere. The only bonus was a free cover and a free bag of pallets.

I wouldn't buy a traegar over other bbq smokers as they arent as good and cost more then better options out there.
This is accurate I purchased my first Traeger in 2011 at Costco and they come with a 3 yr warranty... My motor and auger failed on it. Originally BBQ Country was 200 cheaper, bought at Costco anyways bc of return policy which came in handy when I just took old one back and they gave me a brand new one. BBQ doesn't have the same return policy so was worth the extra 200 bucks to us. We also have a Green Egg for regular bbq's.

As for if they are as good as others, went to 4 demos back when I purchased the original and Traeger was hands down better than anything on the market.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Traeger reps that run the Costco circuits are paid a commission % that increases based on volume. But basically the expectation on a top salesman is 150 units for the one week roadshow in each location.

There is no time or benefit for a live product demonstration with tasting/sampling that would just attract the seagulls.

So a very quick script with a high sense of urgency is required to separate the buyer from his cash. In most cases the buyer did not make a specific trip to Costco to purchase a Traeger.

Walk in to pick up some food items and walk out 1/2 hour later dropping a grand and saying WTH just happened.lol

Reps can easily make 3K-5k a week and their hotel is provided. Lonely life on the road. Not much money to be made while training as the #'s are attributed to the trainer-Generally bought in from the US

Really they are well paid to transfer their enthusiasm for the product to the consumer. Nothing more Nothing less.
Not everyone can sell at that level.

You don't sell-you don't eat and Costco tracks your #'s daily to indirectly hold your feet to the fire.
Traegar is one of costcos largest road shows now. I spoke with the one guy that came from the u.s for a while and listened to him sell for a bit. Hilarious dude but wasn't very honest. People buy them up because of the trust they have with costco. The sad part is the grills arent as good as other options out there that get hotter or cost less. Yet people snap them up like crazy at Costco.

I doubt their doing 150 grills in the 2 weeks they are there.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Traeger does about $77 Million US a year in Dealer Net.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:42 PM

Traeger Grills work fine in summer and fall . Traeger Grills dont work worth a **** in winter and cold windy days .
Louisana Grills work in -25 no problem and dont need a welding blanket to help them .
You can sear a steak and temps go up too 500+ no problem in winter . built in programmable
thermometer. and the best controller in the Industry. And cheaper then Traeger
Burn pot can be dumped out if full off ash. Heavier steel construction
Cleaner smoke , shorter auger + less problems , Digital controller
Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travco1 View Post
Traeger Grills work fine in summer and fall . Traeger Grills dont work worth a **** in winter and cold windy days .
Louisana Grills work in -25 no problem and dont need a welding blanket to help them .
You can sear a steak and temps go up too 500+ no problem in winter . built in programmable
thermometer. and the best controller in the Industry. And cheaper then Traeger
Burn pot can be dumped out if full off ash. Heavier steel construction
Cleaner smoke , shorter auger + less problems , Digital controller
Louisiana pellet grills are a great machine, they cut their teeth building pellet stoves may a years ago and have been doing it longer than most of the competition. On another note, everyone will brag about the stove that they own.... because it's the best! At the end of the day a pellet grill is a great option that no matter what brand, you will not be disapointed. Anyone who says they prefer gas over wood has never had a good meal off of one.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by archercurt View Post
Louisiana pellet grills are a great machine, they cut their teeth building pellet stoves may a years ago and have been doing it longer than most of the competition. On another note, everyone will brag about the stove that they own.... because it's the best! At the end of the day a pellet grill is a great option that no matter what brand, you will not be disapointed. Anyone who says they prefer gas over wood has never had a good meal off of one.
You must have been using them for a long time. As with anything, it is usually the newbies that do the run down the other one, routine. They all have their good points.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:17 AM
AO Sponsor

I love my Louisiana unit! I am ashamed to admit I use my stick burner less and less simply because the pellet grill is so simple. I just did a brisket yesterday in minus 18 degrees and had zero issues maintaining temps all night long. On top of that, being able to sear steaks at 600 degrees on essentially wood heat is awesome! I would recommend these over traegers simply for value for dollar spent any day of the week!