Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Gull Lake, Feb 23 2014

so i got out to gull this morning, stated off at brownlows and saw a bunch of perch, caught 2 keepers and saw a HUGE burbot that thankfully we didn't catch (out of season) BUT after it slowed down incredibly here we drove to a different spot on the lake (don't want to give up a honey hole that i finally found haha) hopefully its a honey hole and the fish don't just move out! so when we got there we drilled a couple holes and put our tent up, and the first time i look down the hole without any bait even down i see a whitefish about a foot and a little bit under the ice, i quickly get my wireworm down and hook up instantly, it was just getting up the hole and it broke my palomar knot on 4 pound test fluorocarbon and took my hook with him, he got away, (was pretty bummed as i didn't end up landing my first lake white ever but oh well) right as soon as i dropped the other line down i caught another one and landed it! (my FIRST landed lake white) after that i caught two more and missed a whole bunch and a bunch shied away at the last minute, my dad caught one whitefish and one perch and missed a bunch and a bunch shied away out of his hole in the honey hole spot as well, all of the whitefish were about a foot and a little bit under the ice and the ice was around 3 feet thick, the new power auger worked great as well (probably would've got our limit of whites if we stayed longer but we had to go)
overall we had a GREAT day! maybe this march madness you guys talk of is beginning! going back on sunday march 2nd
Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 PM

a couple photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1-2.jpg (69.2 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2-2.jpg (54.0 KB, 371 views)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:08 PM

very cool bud we were out there too last nite but only landed a pike and that was it for me. lots of lookers but no takers, had a couple of hits from the whites but didnt hook up.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Nice job! You did really well!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 PM

Was at Brownlows today and saw lots but they were just shopping. Lookie Lu's ..
Were fun to watch in the camera though
Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM

The local angler, we're you keeping your hooks horizontal as possible for whites? I found that they wouldn't even touch a hook that wasn't horizontal, I tie a Palomar knot and tuck the knot through the eye of the hook and it stays pretty horizontal for me
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM

Flygirrl, if you were fishing whites I hear you NEVER want to use a camera, they are very sensitive to it I hear, left my fish tv in the SUV the whole day
Old 02-23-2014, 08:49 PM

i was actually using a small jigging spoon, whites at the moment was not the initial intended species. cause i didn't want to get skunked i thought i would catch a small pike right off the bat to break the goose egg lol. it wasn't a bunch of whites swimming through just the odd one which was odd.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 PM

congrats on your first lake whitefish
Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFlyfishin View Post
a couple photos
Thats pure awesome. I love gull lake. We caught limits a couple times in the past week and a half of perch over 8 inches. Burbs are every where.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Flygirrl, if you were fishing whites I hear you NEVER want to use a camera, they are very sensitive to it I hear, left my fish tv in the SUV the whole day
Thanks ncflyfishin. Yes I did know that. Wasn't targeting whites specifically . Did see some but they were just cruising . It was the pike and the perch that got me. Swim up to the bait , sit there and look at it for a few minutes than swim away. The pike were actually rubbing up against the smelt but not interested in eating it. May try the camera horizontal next time, just aimed down the hole. Love the camera though
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i was actually using a small jigging spoon, whites at the moment was not the initial intended species. cause i didn't want to get skunked i thought i would catch a small pike right off the bat to break the goose egg lol. it wasn't a bunch of whites swimming through just the odd one which was odd.
Wow, all we saw was whites pretty much one every minute, must've been in the right spot I guess
Old 02-25-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Wow, all we saw was whites pretty much one every minute, must've been in the right spot I guess
I would say that's the right spot,we caught lots of perch but only seen a few whites in brownlows.Going back this weekend.Congrats on your first white!!!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
How deep were you fishing??
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
How deep were you fishing??
About 8 or 9 feet, BUT remember, the whites I caught were only a foot and a little under the ice, the ones near the bottom wouldn't bite as much as the ones near the top, actually all the ones I caught were the ones near the top