Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2015, 08:53 AM

Default 20 ft car topper type boat

Morning folks,
Made a deal with the wife,I would move to our local small town, but I am getting a few things. I want a place with a nice garage, eventually, I get a Side x side. (maybe sooner, if I can show her I could make money plowing snow if she let me get one with Camoplast tracks and a Berco Matic snowblower.
The first purchase outside of the garage will be a fishing boat. Now, I want a plain boat, like the older car topper aluminums. Just plain bench seats, maybe a side seat setup for fishing wells, with the right setup.
Here's the kicker. My wife is not at all comfortable in boats. She tries, because she doesn't want to pass it onto the kids (If I may, She is a wonderful wife and mother).
So to keep her calm and comfy , I am looking for a 20 foot long, deep hulled boat. Try to get one as stable as I can.Obviously, before somebody points it out,I know I will need a good trailer.
Lund used make the Alaskan like I want,but unless i'm missing something, they are all more fancy now.
I may be overlooking something with Lund or my searches, but we are moving because I recently became handicapped.So if I am missing something simple,I apologize, but these 18 hour days are getting to me.
So,any makes or models I should be looking at, obviously I want a quality product.
Thank you so much in advance,
Ken
Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 PM

Plain jane 20 footer. Check out alumarine. They are about as plain as it gets for a 20'
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 AM

Default Memory of size sure changes from when you a kid to an adult.

morning all,
Thanks saskpikeman,for the helpful response.
I figure I needed to look into what size I really need in a boat,so I took the kids to the farm to sit in the old fiberglass boat we used as a base, point. From my memories of it,I figured 14 ft or even 16 ft.
So I measured it, and it was a huge 12 feet 4 inches>LOL.
I guess things in your memory are a lot bigger from when you were small.
Well, after that,I figure an 18 footer would be about perfect. We have three kids, and my wife is nervous on the water, so that size should be stable enough.
I am looking at Alumarine, a Lund Alaskan if I can find a plain one that's a few years old (all the new ones are fancy). I also came across the Duckworth brand to investigate.
I will keep searching, as 18 ft boats are much more than 20 ft (And I now think 20 ft is too big).
Thanks' for reading my thoughts, it all helps come up with the proper choice.
Ken
Old 07-13-2015, 12:04 PM

18 foot Lund SSV would probably do nicely. Can order with a drop in vinyl floor which is a real nice feature.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:14 PM

I have an 18' Lund, it's a large boat when there is no console or windshield to take up room. 4 bench seats and 6' wide make it feel quite safe.
Load capacity is around 1500lbs.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:50 AM

Ive owned a few boats over the years and the most solid stable boat ive used is my 16ft admiral drive float trailer. You can literally stand right on the corners and bounce and it barely moves. Will float when full of water and is very stable on bad water. And of course it has the trailer built in. The only down point is its no speed boat. Top speed of about 30km/h when loaded light. More like 20km with a family in it.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM

Default thanks

thanks for all the input guys.i am going to look for awhile and see which boat really will be the best for us. It sucks, because you can buy an 18 or 20 foot boat out in Ontario for pretty good prices.But everyone here goes for fancier / higher featured ones. I probably would too, but I have to be able to pay for this out of pocket, so plain it is.
The Alumarine site has some boats I like,I wish they had more real pics of their boats though, not just drawings.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:19 PM

I have a deep 18 foot alumarine. It's perfect for what I use it for. Well built boats too. I've had several different fishing lodge owners comment on it and say they think it's a better built boat than the similar lunds. I've had it in some rough water too and have felt safe. You go slow and you get wet, but you stay safe. Check out the tru north website out of Prince Albert if you haven't already. They have quite a few pics of a couple different alumarines.