Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 AM

Default are you a bowhunter or a bow shooter?

are you a bowhunter of a bow shooter?
do you and your trusty "bent stick" go into the woods and wear out a pair of boots sneaking up on your quarry or do you sit in a tree and wait for a target to walk by?
do you get excited when you wake up to a cold rainy windy september day and say to yourself " this is a perfect day to go after moose!!"
does your heart start pounding when you hear a bull elk bugle 200 yards away and you find yourself instinctively checking the wind and plotting a course to get within range.
i have tried sitting in a stand and for the life of me i can't see how you guys can stand it. i know there's still a lot of you out there walking the ridges looking for mr. wapiti because i hear you calling every year. and god bless you; that's how it's done.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Hoochie Papa

Whichever one is the walking around guy- I'm that one.

Tree stands were made for afternoon naps. At least that's what happend when I tried hunting out of one.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 PM

hoochie p you are a bow hunter!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Hoochie Papa

Nope. Bowhunters shoot things. Last couple of years I just walk around carrying my bow.

I'm a Bowhiker.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Default Bow Hunter Hoochie.

Hoochie; I promise you i will call a elk to within 20 yards for you this
fall what you do with it from there is up to you.I seen you shoot he will
be in your freezer.

I am willing to bet that one of us will have a bull down by the 15th of sept.
There is nothing else that will get your adrenilin going more than that bull screaming at you close in.

The best part about it is i will have it all on video for you,awsome memories.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=el sparko;160549]are you a bowhunter of a bow shooter?
do you and your trusty "bent stick" go into the woods and wear out a pair of boots sneaking up on your quarry or do you sit in a tree and wait for a target to walk by?
do you get excited when you wake up to a cold rainy windy september day and say to yourself " this is a perfect day to go after moose!!"
does your heart start pounding when you hear a bull elk bugle 200 yards away and you find yourself instinctively checking the wind and plotting a course to get within range.
i have tried sitting in a stand and for the life of me i can't see how you guys can stand it. i know there's still a lot of you out there walking the ridges looking for mr. wapiti because i hear you calling every year. and god bless you; that's how it's done.[/QUOTE

I hunt lots out of tree stands for whiteys,but all my elk hunting is stalking and calling,I still get a awsome adrenilin rush waiting for that monster whitey to come into bow range.I guess when you lose that you need not to be hunting any more.I take my hat off to all the hunters that can stalk a 160 class whitey on the ground and harvest him,that right there is one of the most difficult animals to hunt on the ground.Elk is alot of fun and a huge rush.
I cant wait till this fall,good luck to you my friend
Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=The Bit Runner.;160696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by el sparko View Post
are you a bowhunter of a bow shooter?
i have tried sitting in a stand and for the life of me i can't see how you guys can stand it. i know there's still a lot of you out there walking the ridges looking for mr. wapiti because i hear you calling every year. and god bless you; that's how it's done.[/QUOTE

I hunt lots out of tree stands for whiteys,but all my elk hunting is stalking and calling,I still get a awsome adrenilin rush waiting for that monster whitey to come into bow range.I guess when you lose that you need not to be hunting any more.I take my hat off to all the hunters that can stalk a 160 class whitey on the ground and harvest him,that right there is one of the most difficult animals to hunt on the ground.Elk is alot of fun and a huge rush.
I cant wait till this fall,good luck to you my friend
hey b.r., you sound like you know your stuff, that being said would you agree that the bulk of archery kills are taken from treestands? to me the only hunting part of that is hunting for a good location to put the stand; the rest is just shooting. my name is not lee-harvey and i don't have a bull kennedy licence.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 AM

I consider myself an archer, flatbow and back quiver, still hunting and roving is my style.....
Cat
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I consider myself an archer, flatbow and back quiver, still hunting and roving is my style.....
Cat
cat you are truly and definatly a bow hunter!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
to me the only hunting part of that is hunting for a good location to put the stand; the rest is just shooting. my name is not lee-harvey and i don't have a bull kennedy licence.
Blah, blah, blah... these little pi$$ing contests within the hunting and fishing world are really quite tiresome. You know the ones like: You're not a real fisherman if you use anything but dry flies and floating line, traditional guys looking down their noses at the ones shooting compound, guided hunts vs. do-it-yourself and on and on. And don't even mention the word crossbow. The tree stand thing is a new one for me though.(BTW I hunt both styles, tree stand and ground) You enjoy the hunt your way spark and I'll enjoy it mine, but don't be calling guys down because of the method the employ. Good luck this fall.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:17 AM

Spot & stalk is just an active version of sniping.

A REAL hunter will identify the best method to harvest the animal without overly disturbing them and then proceed from there.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Sure, why not.....

I do both, but the majority of my bowhunting is from stands, either ground blind or tree stand. Anyone that thinks stalking makes you a better bowhunter, well alright, power to you. Each method poses it's own challenges no doubt, and these are different depending on the area/species.

I'm the first to admit it takes some skill to stalk within bow range of near any animal, but it is equally challenging to pattern a mature animal and set up an ambush to catch him at 15yds while you're there.

Both work and both are VERY rewarding when it all comes together.

Just my 2 cents

And oh ya, I am a bowhunter while I'm stalking, in the stand, OR practicing. I practice so I can be a good shot hunting, not to count scores on paper.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Default the jig is up!

sorry guys; i found the board was getting a little dull so i added this inane thread just to stir the pot and get all of you dormant stick chuckers spittin' nails.
bowhunting is a sweet affliction that gets into your psyche and makes all other hunting pale in comparison.
cheers to all of you be you a stand hunter or still hunter, if you use a bow you're all alright in my books.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
cheers to all of you be you a stand hunter or still hunter, if you use a bow you're all alright in my books.
Does that include crossbows?

Stir...Stir...Stir...
Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Whats going on there Spark, got a "thing" against rifles or what?? I disagree that ""bowhunting makes all other methods pale in comparison."" Enjoy your bow, and i will enjoy all the tools deemed appropriate for wildlife management, all the while wondering what in the hell is wrong with your head... Management goals MUST BE MET in todays world. Im awfully certain about the fact that bows are very efficient tools, I am a bow hunter, but at the end of the day, you can bet your last dollar that its the rifle boys gettin the job done for the year.... Think about it there Spark, while ya take a pull on that. Take the time to educate yourself. Good God Man... Have a nice day.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 06-29-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: .
Old 06-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

I am an ex-bowhunter...age caught up with me and that is all I will say about that.

However.....back in the day I used to love bowhunting..

I have taken 4 deer (treestands)

Two moose...stalk...one was a cow (years ago) the other was a medium size bull..

And one blackbear...a small one (about 125lbs) but dagnabit...at 17 yards away I swear he looked a lot bigger..

One thing I'd like to pass on to new bowhunters..

practice..practice...practice..and when you are done that then practice some more..
Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Whats going on there Spark, got a "thing" against rifles or what?? I disagree that ""bowhunting makes all other methods pale in comparison."" Enjoy your bow, and i will enjoy all the tools deemed appropriate for wildlife management, all the while wondering what in the hell is wrong with your head... Management goals MUST BE MET in todays world. Im awfully certain about the fact that bows are very efficient tools, I am a bow hunter, but at the end of the day, you can bet your last dollar that its the rifle boys gettin the job done for the year.... Think about it there Spark, while ya take a pull on that. Take the time to educate yourself. Good God Man... Have a nice day.
shot my bull elk last year with a rifle, deep in the bush, no stand no cutline, just me and him and 15 yards of open spaces. in my mind when i use a rifle i'm still bowhunting.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post
Does that include crossbows?

Stir...Stir...Stir...
i really could care less what method you use as long as it's legal, if there was a season using a 2x4 with a nail in it i'd be the first in line at the lumber yard.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I am an ex-bowhunter...age caught up with me and that is all I will say about that.

However.....back in the day I used to love bowhunting..

I have taken 4 deer (treestands)

Two moose...stalk...one was a cow (years ago) the other was a medium size bull..

And one blackbear...a small one (about 125lbs) but dagnabit...at 17 yards away I swear he looked a lot bigger..

One thing I'd like to pass on to new bowhunters..

practice..practice...practice..and when you are done that then practice some more..
x2 !!!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Default lame

Boooo. This Sparky guy is just back tracking his way out of it so he doesn't look like a terd in front of all you respectable hunters. His initial take is likely accurate.

This is lame and thread should be closed.

By the way, this year...I'm tree standing it. Instead of shooting the animal, I'm gonna wait until it passes under the stand and drop onto its back while reaching around its neck and slitting it's throat....IS that hunting enough for ya bud??
Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 PM

By the way, this year...I'm tree standing it. Instead of shooting the animal, I'm gonna wait until it passes under the stand and drop onto its back while reaching around its neck and slitting it's throat....IS that hunting enough for ya bud??

That sounds like one he!! of an idea. The only problem is your doing it from a tree stand maybe you should try to stalk it and jump on its back then you would be a real hunter. I also will be stand hunting for whitails this and ground hunting elk so I dont know if im a real hunter or not
Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 PM

I prefer still-hunting or spot-and-stalking. Got two mulie does, and a fork mulie buck last fall, and two black bears (one a young blonde boar, the other a big 19" black) this spring using these methods. Sat in a homemade blind last fall, and woke up to a young whitetail buck snorting and taking off. So much for sitting patiently..........
Old 07-03-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
Boooo. This Sparky guy is just back tracking his way out of it so he doesn't look like a terd in front of all you respectable hunters. His initial take is likely accurate.

This is lame and thread should be closed.

cool!! please send pics of the outcome...
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stand junkie View Post

That sounds like one he!! of an idea. The only problem is your doing it from a tree stand maybe you should try to stalk it and jump on its back then you would be a real hunter. I also will be stand hunting for whitails this and ground hunting elk so I dont know if im a real hunter or not
hey s.j. i never said anything about being a "real" hunter i just asked who among you prefers hunting over shooting. i just find sitting for extended periods up in a tree to be a little dull compared to the challange of seeking out the animal and getting close enough on foot. i also stated that i was having some fun getting you guys riled up.. i guess it worked!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I prefer still-hunting or spot-and-stalking. Got two mulie does, and a fork mulie buck last fall, and two black bears (one a young blonde boar, the other a big 19" black) this spring using these methods. Sat in a homemade blind last fall, and woke up to a young whitetail buck snorting and taking off. So much for sitting patiently..........
have you tried anything bigger? elk or moose? it sure is fun!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 PM

Climbing the ladder, sparko, climbing the ladder....
Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Climbing the ladder, sparko, climbing the ladder....
there are still quite a few wmu's left that have a general archery moose season and they can be very productive.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
s_buffalo

Quote:
Instead of shooting the animal, I'm gonna wait until it passes under the stand and drop onto its back while reaching around its neck and slitting it's throat
Good heavens... My manager's uncle tried that once... And he'll never do that again!