Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Question Antelope calls.

Probuably gonna be pulling my archery goat tag this year,{small chance i might not} and wondering if anyone has used a call on these guys while decoying. Im after a smasher that was pretty spooky when i was doing my preseason for my rifle tag last year, and thinking i might need a little something to seal the deal if i can get him coming. I never could get him in my glasses last year during the hunt, and ended up falling back on a back up buck. Has it worked, and what kind of call was it. I know of the snort and snort chuckle, and thats about all i know, so some experience here would be awesome. Thanks.

keep a strain on er.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 PM

I have a Primos call (dont like it much) and an Eastmans "Antelope Talk" call that works pretty good. I had an older Lohmans and it was about the best I've used....but I lost it chasing a buck and cant find another one.....

I think any of em work well enough.....I've never chuckled...mostly just snorts and they seem to work good for the purpose....especially combined with a decoy....helps stop em and turn em broadside too I've found...
Old 06-24-2007, 11:08 PM

I agree with Trev that the Lohman call works the best.This call was made by Lohman for Mel Dutton and as far as i know you can only buy it with the Mel Duttton decoy kit.You can find them at Cabelas.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 AM

Another vote for the Eastmans call.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey, cool to see some guys have had success with em, but when do you hit them with the snort or the snort chuckle. I mean, if i have one coming in, do i give him any sound, or when does this seem to work, and what do i hit him with. Im assuming i dont wanna let him hang up, but keep him coming and sucked in. Mabey i need to go stalk afew this summer, and hit em with a call, and just try and figure out from reactions. Should be easy, as i should be able to play afew bucks in a day. I hope this big dude just comes smokin in and all i gotta do is burn im. With the size of this dude, im gonna be nothin but thumbs if it has to get scientific.

keep a strain on er.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Anyone have any bad experiences using a call on these guys? How do does tend to react to the call?

keep a strain on er, packhuntr.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM

I use the call only sparingly......I use it to stop an antelope and use it if one is hanging up...thats it. Never over-call as I've never had good luck with blowing it if they are moving already towards you. Mainly works to keep them interested if they get bored, or to stop them for a shot...

Big jokers arent easy to decoy.....big antelope are often with the herd and they can be tricky.....you'll get a ton of average sattellite bucks decoying to you in a day....usually I can get on 15-20 bucks on a good day with the decoy, but the big guys are very tricky. Sometimes getting into their 'range' is the toughest part. If you're not closer than 150 yards to the herd, the herd buck will just take his does and leave. You need to be inside his comfort zone before you use the decoy. This is VERY VERY important....especially with a herd buck.

If you can get inside that zone without being seen, then you can get the herd buck out.....other than that, he'll bugger off and laugh at ya most times.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey, thanks for the help Rack, gonna take a look in afew catalogs tonight when i get home, and see whats available. Will get out as soon as i get a call delivered. I have afew bucks right at work that i should be able to try dinkin with on the call{and get paid to do it!!!} One buck that calls this chunk of ground home is pretty territorial, and ive watched him defend his couple miles of ground here pretty regularily in the last few years. Nice buck, but prob wont go better than 72 to 75 inch. I have watched antelope interaction many times in the past at close rge, but havent been able to begin to understand how their body language and calling come together. Ive got afew hours of tape of this differing behavior as well, and some awesome rut video of bucks and does interacting, and satellite bucks scrambeling er all up at the same time. Almost got a buck breeding a doe one time a couple years ago, but a satellite buck screwed me out of the shot, and they all ended up racing over a hill on me. They are pretty complex little buggers. Will post my results on afew goats asap, till then, throw some more info about calling up here boys, i will appreciate anything anyone has.

keep a strain on er, packhuntr.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 PM

You'll also notice with antelope decoy/calling that there is a very specific window of time in Sept that it will work good for you.....

I've found that to be around Sept 14-20th with the best results....earlier or later can be a bit tougher as the rut isnt as hot....
Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 PM

Packhunter,

I would not worry to much about the call,more importantly is get yourself a good decoy.If you hit the rut at a good time you will have lots of action.

One of the biggest mistakes you can do is move around to much behind the decoy or sneeking looks over the decoy,a buck will spot this and be gone faster then you can shake your head.

The thing with Achery goat hunting is you have so many hours in the day that even if you mess up on one setup you should be able to do 10 or more in a day.

Find the buck you want,sneak in to 100>150 yards,nock an arrow,pop the decoy and get ready to be run over.lol Good Luck.

I will draw again next year and can't wait.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Hmmm I just put in for my first draw... apparently I should be able to use the information here... oh... about the time I retire. LOL
Old 07-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Just got my antelope call, went with the Eastman's Antelope Talker. Its a bite and blow call, and has a pretty consistent sound and tone. Cant say it sounds any different than any snorts ive heard straight from the horses mouth. For any of you guys chasin goats and interested, check out the Eastmans antelope series of videos, the dude that invented the call is on there and shes a smorgasboard of knowledge on calling. The guy just is unreal, and unloads her all on the one video. An awesome set to watch, and for sure recomend these vids. I grew up in goat country, but these guys are antelope scientists. Anyways, will post some results, if i get any good information worth passing along.

keep a strain on er.