Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Family Sockeye Salmon Crazy Action

Since some people enjoyed my other sockeye videos I'm finally getting around to editing more footage that the days are shortened. Here is the first time we went out this year with the wife and kids.

One day after work I decided off a whim to try it out with the family for the first time. Loaded up the boat and headed out since the online reports looked amazing for the day. when we got to the Sandheads lighthouse we were shocked to see a hundred or so boats trolling and catching fish right there. We went out past them and hit the 400 foot mark and got the trolling gear down. As soon as the lines were down the camera wasn't even set up all four rods went off and we got three sockeye in the boat and an undersized chinook. Then we put on the camera and the rest of the crazy action that you'll see continued. Lots of fun with the wife who was just a couple weeks from delivering our third daughter and my two other girls. Everyone was in on the action. What a mess at points but so much fun. Caught a hatchery coho and a nice sized Chinook salmon right as the sun was setting as well. We felt super fortunate for first timers to be heading home with 9 salmon in a couple of hours on the water after work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXi0coLCS-s

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 11-18-2018, 07:35 AM
AO Sponsor

Nice Brandon! You and your little Tigress crew!

Question.... when they close down the river and only let the natives massacre the sockeye, are you still allowed to go out in the salt/tidal portion and fish away or is that closed then too?

What boat are you in? Seems kinda small, but I thought you were running some kind of ocean boat in your old age.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Nice Brandon! You and your little Tigress crew!

Question.... when they close down the river and only let the natives massacre the sockeye, are you still allowed to go out in the salt/tidal portion and fish away or is that closed then too?

What boat are you in? Seems kinda small, but I thought you were running some kind of ocean boat in your old age.
So the Fraser Tidal and Freshwater portions closed down earlier than the ocean fishery. I believe it stayed open after the close of the river probably another 3 or 4 weeks. The limit on the river was 2 per person per day. On the ocean it is 4. I favor the ocean since the fish are actually biting and can be targeted, where as the people on the river are bottom bouncing and flossing the migrating sockeye. Hardly sporting in my opinion. So many more people fish the river though and that is why I think it gets closed earlier.

This is my 16 foot spectrum with 75 hp and merc 9.9 kicker. Its nice to use the smaller boat since it goes pretty fast and gets you out there on the water which is usually pretty calm in the Salish sea. Burn much less gas as well for a day of fishing.

Yes, I did buy another more ocean worthy used Trophy a couple years ago, but the engine is out of commission unfortunately after sinking another $3000 in to fix it last summer. So I want to repower with a new motor. Going to wait till next year maybe since a little strapped for spare cash with out house build. Hopefully be back out on the trophy next year.

Thanks for the questions.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Another great sockeye vid Brandon! That is quite the little troop in the boat. All of them did really well and seem to be pretty comfortable out there. They all deserve a high five for that one.

I like your youngest daughter's response "ewww" or "ick". Meanwhile her older sister doesn't seem to mind giving a couple of whacks to the fish noggin at all. Too funny

I can see why you went out with the family. That was one flat calm ocean. Nice job creating memories.

Hope you get a chance next year to make more sockeye vids.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Another great sockeye vid Brandon! That is quite the little troop in the boat. All of them did really well and seem to be pretty comfortable out there. They all deserve a high five for that one.

I like your youngest daughter's response "ewww" or "ick". Meanwhile her older sister doesn't seem to mind giving a couple of whacks to the fish noggin at all. Too funny

I can see why you went out with the family. That was one flat calm ocean. Nice job creating memories.

Hope you get a chance next year to make more sockeye vids.
Thanks, yeah the little one is funny. Sometimes she's right into it bonking and poking the fish and others she's a little princess, can't be bothered with the fish. The older is more like me.

Yeah fortunately most times when the forecast calls for flat calm all day they're usually right. Hard to beat a flat calm, sunny day on the ocean.

I was out 11 times in total on my boat and a couple with a friend sockeye fishing. I have more footage I'll post it up if I ever edit it since I'm not sure there will be a next years sockeye season. Only time will tell. I would love if there was another great run. That would be fantastic! If not I hope the pink salmon run is good them we can go get some pinks for fun.