Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Banned

It's great to see these criminals caught but does it really matter? As always they will get nothing for a punishment, will laugh in our faces and will continue on with their crimes. Further proof that the criminal law system is a brutal joke!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM

great news... now how about taking care of those guys stacking the ling on the ice... lets enforce 1 rule, and change another
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Hopefully the judge will hand out the maximum penalty.

stan
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
If you don't want to be accused of racial "profiling", ie racism.

Just don't do it.

I've seen a lot more of your caucasian kin folk poaching in this province than I have any 'new Canadians'.

Ignorance is a characteristic of ignorant people, not of any particular race or creed.
Just to be clear "racial profiling" is not racism it is stereotyping though.
Saying that Chinese eat with chopsticks is not different then saying that Canadians drink a lot of beer..... It's a stereotype.

People are so sensitive and quick to throw out racism / racist card these days when they really have no clue what racism is.

I hope whoever these guys are get the book thrown at them!!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Default Kudos to f&w!!

It is great to hear that some more poachers have been nailed! Atta go Fish and Wildlife!!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM

how the heck did they catch all those whites from Pigeon!

Ah well! hope they get a friendly cell mate
Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Here's an interesting excerpt from the Edmonton Journal story:

“The department targets everybody involved, so they target the ones killing the fish, the ones selling the fish and the ones buying the fish,” said Fisheries and Wildlife Supt. Miles Grove.

“In this case, there were two individuals that were the killers and sellers. The 25 other folks were providing a market and buying the fish.”

One of the men charged, Grove said, has aboriginal rights to fish outside licensed seasons, but that right is extinguished when the fish is sold. Another of the accused, he said, is a Wetaskiwin restaurant owner, although it is not known whether any illegally traded fish would have been served to customers.

Like I said earlier, before I was unfairly (or maybe not) profiled as being an "idiot", it appears someone involved was, in fact, exercising his/her constitutional rights as predicted.
Whether this right to fish was actually "extinguished" is something the Crown is going to have to prove. Miles Grove ain't no judge. Which is, I suspect, why it took the justice department so long to get its act together.
The local first nation, if that's what our poacher buddy is a member of, has been pretty hard edged about protecting their rights.
They spent mega millions hauling the feds all the way to the Supreme Court over mismanaging their oil and gas royalties. And lost.
I kinda got a feeling this case may be headed there too.

This one ain't over 'til it's over.

PS: Before anyone gets would up, I'm not picking sides here. I fish C and R. I'm just trying to read between the lines of the not-very-forthcoming SG's press release.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
Here's an interesting excerpt from the Edmonton Journal story:

“The department targets everybody involved, so they target the ones killing the fish, the ones selling the fish and the ones buying the fish,” said Fisheries and Wildlife Supt. Miles Grove.

“In this case, there were two individuals that were the killers and sellers. The 25 other folks were providing a market and buying the fish.”

One of the men charged, Grove said, has aboriginal rights to fish outside licensed seasons, but that right is extinguished when the fish is sold. Another of the accused, he said, is a Wetaskiwin restaurant owner, although it is not known whether any illegally traded fish would have been served to customers.

Like I said earlier, before I was unfairly (or maybe not) profiled as being an "idiot", it appears someone involved was, in fact, exercising his/her constitutional rights as predicted.
Whether this right to fish was actually "extinguished" is something the Crown is going to have to prove. Miles Grove ain't no judge. Which is, I suspect, why it took the justice department so long to get its act together.
The local first nation, if that's what our poacher buddy is a member of, has been pretty hard edged about protecting their rights.
They spent mega millions hauling the feds all the way to the Supreme Court over mismanaging their oil and gas royalties. And lost.

PS: Before anyone gets would up, I'm not picking sides here. I fish C and R. I'm just trying to read between the lines of the not-very-forthcoming SG's press release.
right to fish eh??Well then... I hope the "Sellers","Buyers"and those who fed them to their customers get their a*s** handed to them in court!!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM

Isnb't it interesting ... this article and all the others I have seen never uses the word fishermen when talking about such individuals. However, if the topic were elk and not walleye, they would use the term hunters!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Default Report a Poacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I have seen WAY more "new canadians" Poaching... I see it numerous times every year, all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I've seen white folk poaching too, but the way of life overseas is different and they bring it here with them. Eating fish is an every day occurrence in a lot of places, and some people just can't give that up. I am in no way racist, BY ANY MEANS, but its the truth. The Asian Community consumes a lot more fish than most. Everyone knows that, and if you don't think so than your lying to yourself.

Regardless, props to F&W. I hope those bastards get what's coming to them.
So all these people you see poaching, did you report them to the Fish & Game Officers
Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
So all these people you see poaching, did you report them to the Fish & Game Officers
I hear the PM function works great.....

Anyways, will be interesting to see what comes of this. Hopefully after that amount of time the authorities have gathered enough to throw the book at these guys.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Isnb't it interesting ... this article and all the others I have seen never uses the word fishermen when talking about such individuals. However, if the topic were elk and not walleye, they would use the term hunters!
No, they would probably use the term "suspected poachers" unless they had been convicted. Any person that poaches is neither hunting or fishing, they are poaching regardless of what animal or fish they may be targeting.
Make sense?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
Usually I confront them first if it is safe to do so... If not, I've got the Report-A-Poacher # saved on my phone.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
X2, lol
I heard the poachers were Italian.......... Not my dirty Brudders.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Neil, F&W refer all charges to their legal experts BEFORE they lay charges if there is a hint that aboriginal rights may be involved.

Why?

Simple, they don't want to set up a situation whereby MORE rights are extended by the courts. In other words, unless the case is not only airtight, but also constitutionally valid, it does not proceed.

I don't blame them, and it is the reason often what appears to be an open and shut case does not immediately end in an arrest. I support them in their tactics.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned

I have been around long enough to see how these dog and pony shows with Fish and Wildlife operate.

There is an election coming up and the govermnent civil servants have to show what a good job they doing because the year end is at the end of April.
Budget time in an election year. OMFG. Gotta look good.

Like has happened so many times before the fish cops go out and find a token Injun to sacrifice. Don't worry about my pard, the federal government will give him a free lawyer at whitie's expense.

Then the media is called out, and a great big story is thrown on the public.

In a week, my pard is back netting again, and is supplying the guys who did not get caught.

No names are yet mentioned .......so close to an election.

As you children get older you will see this stuff over and over again.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:25 AM

Glad they got caught & hope they get both the maximum fine & jail time etc. I just recycled my cell but since everybody has one I'm sure I could borrow one to make a call if I had to "Report a Poacher". The CO's aren't so bad . I get along with them whenever I meet one. I would really like to try my "fish bonking stick" out on one of these poachers heads. It would either knock some sense into their heads or give them one hell of a headache & lots of lumps! Too bad they aren't able to read regulations or anything else but hopefully some time in jail would help educate them as to the rights & wrongs of fishing!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Lightbulb

A. Ignorance is no excuse for not abiding by the law. Common sense should also prevail.

B. Selling his catch voids his rights.

C. Penalties for all laws in this country should be increased substantially.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM

Sorry guys I have been out of the country this week and am just catching up on this "old news". Have any names been released yet? Being in my neck of the woods I am sure someones name will be familar.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I have been around long enough to see how these dog and pony shows with Fish and Wildlife operate.

There is an election coming up and the govermnent civil servants have to show what a good job they doing because the year end is at the end of April.
Budget time in an election year. OMFG. Gotta look good.

Like has happened so many times before the fish cops go out and find a token Injun to sacrifice. Don't worry about my pard, the federal government will give him a free lawyer at whitie's expense.

Then the media is called out, and a great big story is thrown on the public.

In a week, my pard is back netting again, and is supplying the guys who did not get caught.

No names are yet mentioned .......so close to an election.

As you children get older you will see this stuff over and over again.
This is absolutley ridiculous! You obviously know nothing about this! "Dog and Pony show"? Really, how about kudos to the investigators for sticking with this long enough to catch the bad guys?

You think this has anything to do with the election? Absurd! Stupid actually! The kind of crap you are suggesting is reserved for the politicians, not street level civil servants!

"Token Injun". Are you serious? Thats how you think? Sad!

I know that this forum is meant to toss ideas and thoughts around but when they are as stupid as yours you should keep them to yourself!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Whether this right to fish was actually "extinguished" is something the Crown is going to have to prove.
Mr. Waugh,

No one is arguing that their right to fish was "extinguished". They have the right to fish for subsistence only. Obviously if they sell the fish then they are not excercising that right.

The arguement is over, even at the Supreme Court level. They have clearly said that there is no right to sell their catch. This wont even get to the appeal stage if that is the only defense. Court of Queens Bench (first appeal level) wont even entertain the argument anymore.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoUCWhatIC View Post
This is absolutley ridiculous! You obviously know nothing about this! "Dog and Pony show"? Really, how about kudos to the investigators for sticking with this long enough to catch the bad guys?

You think this has anything to do with the election? Absurd! Stupid actually! The kind of crap you are suggesting is reserved for the politicians, not street level civil servants!

"Token Injun". Are you serious? Thats how you think? Sad!

I know that this forum is meant to toss ideas and thoughts around but when they are as stupid as yours you should keep them to yourself!

Wow: did you just wake up from your last meth trip? Ha Ha Ha Ha
Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Wow: did you just wake up from your last meth trip? Ha Ha Ha Ha
I have seen people on Meth. They are barley able to function. Their brain is a mess. They make no sense whatsoever. Perhaps you should give it a try, it could only be an improvement for you!